cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VX Can't install or boot Linux

FLYINGUNDERTHER
Level 7
I have a GL552VX DM261T running windows 10 and I need to dual boot linux on it. I had made a live USB of ubuntu 16.04 LTS and booted my system from the pen drive. The boot menu appears just fine but ubuntu just won't boot up, neither when I'm trying to install it nor trying to boot it without installing it. It just gets stuck on the loading screen. Also after checking the files for errors, it said no errors have been found and got stuck at that page too. Same happened when I tried to install or try Ubuntu 14.04, Gnome, Fedora and Kali. I have no idea about ubuntu or grub menu at all. Any help is really appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!
If your linux images don't support UEFI boot, tap the 'ESC' (or delete) key after powering on to enter the bios setup if you can catch it, disable secure boot under the 'security' menu and enable 'launch csm' under the 'boot' menu.
Save and exit your bios settings and tap the 'ESC' key again to try to get the boot menu and select the non-UEFI boot image for your linux boot image.

Don't have the GL552 around to verify, but the bios settings should be similar.

By the way you may want to back up your Windows image to be safe if you haven't already just in case anything goes wrong with the linux installations and you can't get Windows back.

Hope this helps, but feel free to let us know if it does not and hopefully others will have better suggestions. Thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:
Welcome to the forums!
If your linux images don't support UEFI boot, tap the 'ESC' (or delete) key after powering on to enter the bios setup if you can catch it, disable secure boot under the 'security' menu and enable 'launch csm' under the 'boot' menu.
Save and exit your bios settings and tap the 'ESC' key again to try to get the boot menu and select the non-UEFI boot image for your linux boot image.

Don't have the GL552 around to verify, but the bios settings should be similar.

By the way you may want to back up your Windows image to be safe if you haven't already just in case anything goes wrong with the linux installations and you can't get Windows back.

Hope this helps, but feel free to let us know if it does not and hopefully others will have better suggestions. Thanks.

I was able to install Kali but it didn't boot up. It got stuck after the login. The original problem still exists with the other versions of linux that I've mentioned in the thread.

sumitdubey
Level 7
After lot of googling found a solution. I documented the solution and the source links in an article
https://smartechknowledge.blogspot.in/2018/05/dual-booting-windows-10-and-ubuntu-on.html

Hope this helps.