cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage ?

WHO_FARTED_
Level 10
Can you use both m.2 and a pci-e ssd's at the same time. I want to put win10 on 1 and win7 on the other.
8 REPLIES 8

FuryA
Level 8
hi
which do you use > M.2 SATA version with PCI-E SSD or M.2 NVMe version with PCI-E SSD?
Maximus VIII Motherboards (Z170) can support both them.

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
hi
which do you use > M.2 SATA version with PCI-E SSD or M.2 NVMe version with PCI-E SSD?
Maximus VIII Motherboards (Z170) can support both them.

I have an intel 750 aic and i wanted to get a samsung 960 evo.

WHO_FARTED? wrote:
I have an intel 750 aic and i wanted to get a samsung 960 evo.

Yes , it can support both of NVMe SSD and lanes comes from CPU

A couple OS notes

If you have an Nvidia Pascal GPU, Win 10 needs to be updated before Nvidia drivers can be installed

A fresh install of Win 7 can be difficult to install Windows updates and takes a considerable amount of time, I can't remember the exact sequence so you will need to google Win 7 won't update and manually download and install several updates before Win 7 will automatically install updates, I guess this is Microsoft's way trying to force Windows 10 upgrades

Menthol wrote:
A couple OS notes
I guess this is Microsoft's way trying to force Windows 10 upgrades

Yea! I spent a while on the phone then had to finally just let them remote access and find the updates.

Menthol
Level 14
Yes you can, install the pcie drive in the bottom pciex16 slot which gets it's lanes from the PCH and will not affect the GPU which gets it's lanes from the CPU

Menthol
Level 14
Win 7 uefi install requires bios settings, CSM to be enabled and OS set to other, you will need the Intel nvme drivers on a USB drive during Win 7 install, or Samsung nvme drivers if installing Win 7 to the Samsung drive, but if installing Win 7 to the Smasung drive you will need to download a Samsung nvme driver from HP, similar to how you would install raid drivers during a raid install. Install both OS in UEFI mode
Only have the drive you are installing Windows on connected during OS installation, so Install your OS on the pcie drive, install all drivers, etc. then remove this drive, install the M.2 drive and install that OS, drivers etc. then re-install the pcie drive and use F8 during boot to select which OS you want to boot to.
I have Win 7 on a Intel 750, Win 10 on a 960 Pro, I have a Samsung 1TB 850 EVO that I install games on so I can play those games from either OS without installing on both and saved games are available from both OS

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yep, put it on a the bottm PCIe but dont use the top two sata ports on an M8E and select PCIe speed in bios to X4 instead of auto.
I have a card, just not a second 960 pro 1TB yet, Im gonna raid those puppies!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein