Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Good idea Hitchy, and thanks for the reference image!

3 tests gave me this:

Seems fine
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diskbench1.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	61279

Started with a spike

Name:	diskbench2.PNG 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	61278

This is what happens when I simply navigate through folders while the test runs...

Name:	diskbench3.PNG 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	61280

Hummmm the 3rd shart is suspicious... when u say navigating through folders is it just OPEN / CLOSE the folder windows or what do you do exactely? Tell me so I can do the same and see the difference...

But for me you mustn't have those brutal drops like the ones shown...

Tell me do you have frequent BSOD or never so far? Have u tried installing or decompressing huge file archives (above 2 Gb) did u have any errors or missing files after install / decompression?

I advise you do some benchmark tests for the RAM and the Processor also we never know...

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yes all I did in the third one was pressing D, then down to a folder under that, then down again, then up 2 steps, then back down to another folder, etc... Whenever these spikes appears in-game I also hear a sound coming from the computer, doesn't sound unusual. The disk have also had troubles with squeeky noises, but I haven't paid much attention to it. Again I'm pretty sure the HDD is the only problem, as everything running on my SSD is as smooth as it can get. No BSOD's or file writing errors. Only things I can think of myself is bad installation of the disk, maybe dismounting it and putting it back in could help, but I have no experience with removing and adding parts to a laptop. I could try removing all the content, formating it and putting things back again, but I have a feeling it wont make any difference.

Now something I've forgot to mention is that (I think) the disk came partioned in 2x 1tb partitions, and I merged them into 1x 2tb. I've done that to other disks in the past without trouble though, and Disk Management window seems fine.
    Last edited by HoTo; 12-22-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoTo View Post
    Yes all I did in the third one was pressing D, then down to a folder under that, then down again, then up 2 steps, then back down to another folder, etc... Whenever these spikes appears in-game I also hear a sound coming from the computer, doesn't sound unusual. The disk have also had troubles with squeeky noises, but I haven't paid much attention to it. Again I'm pretty sure the HDD is the only problem, as everything running on my SSD is as smooth as it can get. No BSOD's or file writing errors. Only things I can think of myself is bad installation of the disk, maybe dismounting it and putting it back in could help, but I have no experience with removing and adding parts to a laptop. I could try removing all the content, formating it and putting things back again, but I have a feeling it wont make any difference.

Now something I've forgot to mention is that (I think) the disk came partioned in 2x 1tb partitions, and I merged them into 1x 2tb. I've done that to other disks in the past without trouble though, and Disk Management window seems fine.
    You should be able to easily open the maintenance hatch that gives u access to RAM and HD slots and unscrew your HDD, remove it, then putting it back. Watch videos about mounting Hard drives for ASUS G751 its basic and unharmful provided you pay attention to what you do.

Question : make sure your disk is formatted GPT (check Disk management) and is in AHCI mode (check UEFI BIOS under SATA)
    Last edited by Hitchy; 12-22-2016 at 07:45 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I've opened up the back before, but yes I will try to learn how to remove a disk and put it back in again. Yes AHCI mode is enabled, and the disk is in GPT format.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2