cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY 2TB Seagate HDD causing lagspikes

HoTo
Level 7
Hi there. I have the G751JY with a 512GB SSD and a 2TB Seagate ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD HDD. Using the HDD disk for example for gaming, is causing frequent lag spikes (1-3 seconds of freezing). I am sure the HDD is the cause as the spikes happens at the same time I see disk usage for the HDD spiking in Task Manager. The computer is fairly new, so old drive failing should not be the problem. I've tried most disk scans and tests, nothing seems to be faulty. I'm not experiencing any spikes when I move the game to the SSD.

Anyone have any similar experiences to share, or suggestions to what could be the problem or solution?
14 REPLIES 14

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well yes I believe that 2TB drive is a 5400 RPM so it will be slower than your SSD, Since you have a 512 SSD I would just move my games to the SSD and just use the 2 TB Hard drive for Data storage.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well yes I believe that 2TB drive is a 5400 RPM so it will be slower than your SSD, Since you have a 512 SSD I would just move my games to the SSD and just use the 2 TB Hard drive for Data storage.
Indeed I was wondering if the speed could be the problem, but why would lower speed make it spike and cause lag, in even really old games that doesn't require much? Usage can be stable at 0-10%, and suddenly spike to 40-100% like once every 20-100 seconds.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yes it will, 5400 RPM is like 80MB/s where a SATA SSD is 500MB/s and M2 AHCI can run over 2000MB/s Then take into account that ASUS played a cruel joke. If you have that spinner in the second bay (not the one with the M2) its only SATAII.

I got so disgusted with spinners The only place Im using them now is in my NAS.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Yes it will, 5400 RPM is like 80MB/s where a SATA SSD is 500MB/s and M2 AHCI can run over 2000MB/s Then take into account that ASUS played a cruel joke. If you have that spinner in the second bay (not the one with the M2) its only SATAII.

I got so disgusted with spinners The only place Im using them now is in my NAS.
Interesting! Well I still can't believe 80MB/s isn't enough for old games 😜

Well then look for what ever else is running in the back ground causing the bottle neck?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well then look for what ever else is running in the back ground causing the bottle neck?
Applications running from the same disk? Nothing else...

Hitchy
Level 7
look for and disable superfetch services. Try also to disable your anti virus and test

Hitchy wrote:
look for and disable superfetch services. Try also to disable your anti virus and test
Thanks for the suggestion, but already tried that.

HoTo wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but already tried that.

You should use HD Tune and watch carefully the benchmark chart for read and write (the free version gives only the read chart I think but thats what we want right?).

Show us the chart once done.

A healthy HD should look like this