cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM Dot-Key (.) "squeaking" when pressed

Appuru
Level 7
Hi there,
I got my new GL702VM for about one week now and noticed that the Dot-Key keeps making "squeak"-sounds and also feels like there's some additional resistance when pressing it. Also this seems to only happen after using the laptop for a while and having pressed the key a few times before. Whenever I start using it after having it rest for a while it doesn't make any noise.
As most shops here offer a 14-day return policy it'd still be possible for me to return without any trouble.
Since I'm otherwise rather happy with the notebook it'd be a bummer to return it for such a stupid reason though as it would take me another few days to get a new one.

I already removed the "upper part" of the key to see whether there's anything stuck inbetween and couldn't find anything. Also when pressing the key without that plastic cover it would not make any sound at all.
This makes me think that there's something wrong with the plastic hinge the cover is normally attached to.

Does anyone have a similar error or had the same kind of thing before?
Is there any simple way to fix this? I'm not 100% sure how easy it is to remove the hinge and put it back in with this laptop as it gave me quite a headache with another laptop of mine when a key fell out ^^.
For me it just seems like there might be some friction between the two seperate plastic hinge parts which causes that sound.
2 REPLIES 2

link626
Level 7
put some lubricant on the moving parts and the plastic clips.

link626 wrote:
put some lubricant on the moving parts and the plastic clips.

Yeah already thought about something like that as well as I searched for a solution online. Thought it might not work on a non-mechanical keyboard though.
Guess I'll try that though.

/e: luckily got some silicone spray and it seems to have worked already. though it was kinda hard to put it on the necessary part since i didn't want to disassemble the whole plastic hinge thingy (as i have bad memories from getting it back into place in my old laptop)
let's hope it stays that way ^^