cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Spatha inconsistent tracking

Shark00n
Level 7
Hi!
I've had my Spatha for a few days now. I have the latest version of Armoury installed and both the mouse and the dock have been updated with the latest firmware. I have tried this in two different systems: my desktop computer and my laptop. Both are running up to date versions of W10 and, in the laptop's case, the built in touchpad was switched off.
I experience random tracking issues where the overall sensitivity of the mouse seems to be cut in half for a few seconds.

I'm an avid FPS player and trust most of my movements to muscle memory. It was easy setting up the Spatha to suit my sensitivity preferences and, most of the time, it's a pleasure to use but this tracking issue keeps reapearing. The easiest way I can think of trying to explain it is: when doing a 180 degree turn in a FPS game, 19 out of 20 times the Spatha does it no problem, moving the mouse the same distance every time at different speeds (I don't think acceleration is the issue here) but then comes the time where I move the mouse the same way I've been moving it before and I don't even make it past a 90 degree turn, it's quite frustrating.
I also notice that clicking and dragging, or using the scroll wheel and dragging, sometimes precipitates this behavior. I have the polling rate set to 1000hz and I'm using it always in wireless mode.
Has anyone around here had similar issues to this? Is it normal behaviour? Should I RMA?

Thanks and merry xmas!*
7 REPLIES 7

Shark00n
Level 7
Bump!

Something else I'd like to add is the mouse behaved strangely when doing its firmware update. It kinda froze and Armoury closed but when it opened again it says it's up to date and everything seems to be working as it should. Except for the inconsistent sensitivity issue

Here's an example of what I mean:

Sensitivity is most of the times consistent allowing me to draw consistent 'circles'
Then the sens drops and the cursor falls short
It's quite noticeable and happens often.

Bah! I'm gonna RMA it tomorrow. Found a way to display the problem consistently.

I just wanted to know if it's down to my unit or are there more people with this issue. Does Asus know about it, has it been solved?

Here's a reviewer noting the same issue - http://benchmarkreviews.com/38679/asus-rog-spatha-gaming-mouse-review/7/
(Under wireless performance)

He also notes that the DPI is not consistent between wired and wireless modes. I have not noticed this issue because I ALWAYS use it in wireless mode. But I did notice when first changing the mouse from my older Logitech G502 that at 1000DPI, 1000Hz and everything else the same, I had to reduce sens in windows and all my games as I was overshooting everytime with the Spatha...

I'm very disapointed with the performance of this mouse

Shark00n wrote:
Bah! I'm gonna RMA it tomorrow. Found a way to display the problem consistently.

I just wanted to know if it's down to my unit or are there more people with this issue. Does Asus know about it, has it been solved?

Here's a reviewer noting the same issue - http://benchmarkreviews.com/38679/asus-rog-spatha-gaming-mouse-review/7/
(Under wireless performance)

He also notes that the DPI is not consistent between wired and wireless modes. I have not noticed this issue because I ALWAYS use it in wireless mode. But I did notice when first changing the mouse from my older Logitech G502 that at 1000DPI, 1000Hz and everything else the same, I had to reduce sens in windows and all my games as I was overshooting everytime with the Spatha...

I'm very disapointed with the performance of this mouse

Sorry there were no one that responded to your report, it may be a single case and that your mouse is defective. Please RMA it first and if the issue is still occurring with the replacement then please let me know and we'll look into this issue. I never noticed this problem with the Spatha I'm using at work, but since I don't use it for gaming so I can't confirm.

Also I did read the review but that review is quite a few months old and using much older firmware and drivers and the issue isn't exactly as described by you.

Bahz wrote:
Sorry there were no one that responded to your report, it may be a single case and that your mouse is defective. Please RMA it first and if the issue is still occurring with the replacement then please let me know and we'll look into this issue. I never noticed this problem with the Spatha I'm using at work, but since I don't use it for gaming so I can't confirm.

Also I did read the review but that review is quite a few months old and using much older firmware and drivers and the issue isn't exactly as described by you.

I don't see how. Even though I had the latest firmware and drivers the issue was exactly as the reviewer described. Polling rate and sensitivity fall down for a short period of time while using the mouse. Rendering it useless as a gaming tool.
I also noticed the DPI issues, I always use my mice at 1000 DPI. Been doing it with Logitech and Razer and it was pretty efortless to change between mice that had the same polling rate and DPI setting. The perceived sensitivity was pretty much the same across the board. On the Spatha however, chosing 1000DPI and a 1000Hz rate didn't achieve the same results. The mouse was noticeably more sensitive than all the others at the same settings. Maybe it's bad calibration.
I'm also using the Spatha on the ROG Sheat, it should perform as best as it could but it didn't.

Sent it to RMA, let's see how it goes.

Shark00n wrote:
I don't see how. Even though I had the latest firmware and drivers the issue was exactly as the reviewer described. Polling rate and sensitivity fall down for a short period of time while using the mouse. Rendering it useless as a gaming tool.
I also noticed the DPI issues, I always use my mice at 1000 DPI. Been doing it with Logitech and Razer and it was pretty efortless to change between mice that had the same polling rate and DPI setting. The perceived sensitivity was pretty much the same across the board. On the Spatha however, chosing 1000DPI and a 1000Hz rate didn't achieve the same results. The mouse was noticeably more sensitive than all the others at the same settings. Maybe it's bad calibration.
I'm also using the Spatha on the ROG Sheat, it should perform as best as it could but it didn't.

Sent it to RMA, let's see how it goes.

Our product manager got back to me and said that this was an earlier issue and should have been fixed in the latest firmware update. He recommended not to use the live update in the software and download and install the update manually from the website. They are making revisions to the software to have this issue corrected, however for now it's recommend to manually download the latest firmware from the product page.

You can download the latest firmware at the link below (v1.01.19):
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/Armoury_v10119.rar?_ga=1.226875997.197032464.1476265282

Bahz wrote:
Our product manager got back to me and said that this was an earlier issue and should have been fixed in the latest firmware update. He recommended not to use the live update in the software and download and install the update manually from the website. They are making revisions to the software to have this issue corrected, however for now it's recommend to manually download the latest firmware from the product page.

You can download the latest firmware at the link below (v1.01.19):
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/Armoury_v10119.rar?_ga=1.226875997.197032464.1476265282

Thanks man, it's a little too late though, but I appreciate it.
The store where I bought it detected the malfunction and I got my money back.
Maybe next time Asus 😛