cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion for graphic card: ROG G74SX

Retired
Not applicable
I have the ROG G74SX since 2012 and want to switch out some of the older part, GPU, with something more recent.

Is this machine compatible with the GeForce GTX 980?

If not, what are my options?
1 REPLY 1

Digimutant
Level 7
Yang-Ming wrote:
I have the ROG G74SX since 2012 and want to switch out some of the older part, GPU, with something more recent.

Is this machine compatible with the GeForce GTX 980?

If not, what are my options?

As far as internals go, don't think the GPU is replaceable. It's integrated, so its not like the G73 laptops.

EDIT: For your options, you're extremely limited. Not worth the hassle to even attempt changing it. MSI still seem to do the MXM-style GPU and replaceable CPUs in their systems, which is a bummer considering the thickness of these Asus laptops, you expect them this way (learn from this, Asus, don't cheapen out regardless of losses and please never ever integrate a GPU to a mainboard). MSI's GT72 laptops have MXM and I believe a replaceable CPU so their new iteration of their GT73 should have that also. EDIT2: I'm wrong, soldered CPU but replaceable GPU

In summary, don't bother trying to upgrade it and just buy a different laptop, even as far as going Aorus or Sager, or MSI for MXM and real CPU sockets. The definition of dedicated is kind of moot, considering the GPU is integrated to the board; therefore not dedicated (it should mean replaceable, too)