cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY PC Randomly kills all power after BIOS UPDATE

djwillj
Level 7
Between the bios update of 2101 - 3402 (most current one) it causes my Desktop to randomly shutdown as if power is being cut. However, when i roller back to any other BIOS this problem does not occur. It seems that with 2101 bios update they changed something new:

1. Updated iROG1 firmware to version 0515.
2. Improve system compatibility.
3. Support GPI's SMI event.

These are the changes. I'm not new to Computers however there is always something to learn. Any thoughts or suggestions. I could always roll back to previous bios however i kind of want to keep it updated.
5 REPLIES 5

Menthol
Level 14
I have not had this issue myself, 3000 series bios is updated for BW-E processors but works fine with HW-E on my end, search the forums for the other posts and see if someone found a solution

RxL-Soul
Level 7
djwillj wrote:
Between the bios update of 2101 - 3402 (most current one) it causes my Desktop to randomly shutdown as if power is being cut. However, when i roller back to any other BIOS this problem does not occur. It seems that with 2101 bios update they changed something new:

1. Updated iROG1 firmware to version 0515.
2. Improve system compatibility.
3. Support GPI's SMI event.

These are the changes. I'm not new to Computers however there is always something to learn. Any thoughts or suggestions. I could always roll back to previous bios however i kind of want to keep it updated.

The Fix is that i used was disabling Cpu spread Spectrum i had this problem going from 3009 (having no problems with this bios) to 3202 (having power issues here also) now im using 3301 but i still have cpu spread spectrum disabled just incase
l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ acx 2.0+ | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |

http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew

RxL-Soul wrote:
The Fix is that i used was disabling Cpu spread Spectrum i had this problem going from 3009 (having no problems with this bios) to 3202 (having power issues here also) now im using 3301 but i still have cpu spread spectrum disabled just incase

what exactly is this option and what does it do?

djwillj wrote:
what exactly is this option and what does it do?

Spread spectrum does what is say pretty much. It spreads the clock frequency within a given bandwidth. Whats it good for, not a dang thing. The entire preface behind this is to meet US FCC regulations surrounding electromagnetic interference. When the clock is spread the end result is the canceling out of harmonic frequencies and a reduction of EMI as a result. Problem it creates a moving target. If you must use it also minimize the slew rate which is the speed in which the frequency changes and minimizes anything that relies on the clock from continuously chasing the clock but never catching it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

2101 seems pretty solid for me however try 3501 now as that should be solid and random reboot issue fixed. Let us know! Cheers.