cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked voltage with 980ti

Janne-71
Level 7
Hi, this is not really a problem just a question/general discussion. I have gigabyte 980ti g1 gaming and using it with msi afterburner. I am using +150mhz overclock on core and +400mhz memory.

I used to have voltage unlocked and set to +87mv, but some games kept crashing, one even in every gaming session. So i tried locking the voltage again the crashing disappeared. Core clock seems to run +20 MHz slower without the extra voltage but not really a big deal, it still boosts to 1520-1530. When i had that added voltage core clock was boosting to 1555mhz.

So i am asking why does the added voltage make it unstable, i think i saw in some overclocking guide to unlock it...but it seems unstable. And is there anything i can do for it? Or perhaps 1555mhz is just too high clock for 980ti.
4 REPLIES 4

Nate152
Hi Janne-71

1555MHz might be too high but 1520-1530 MHz is still good. The most I could get with the maximum voltage on my ROG Matrix platinum 980 Ti is 1505 - 1512MHz.

It had a memory voltage slider in gpu tweak II, I'm not sure if yours does or not. It would only show with the Gigabyte software if it does.

As for it being unstable with more voltage it's hard to say but I wouldn't complain about 1520 - 1530 MHz, you're likely at the max.

Janne-71
Level 7
Yes i think it won't make much difference is it locked or unlocked, i ran unigine valley with both and there was only like 2fps difference. I choose the stability over 2fps any day :P. Anyway it was primarily 1 game that gave me trouble (dishonered 2, could be it's not very optimized for pc) others crashed almost never. But i think i will keep these settings anyway.

Nate152
yeah some games don't like the gpu overclocked, I know far cry 3 and 4 I have to back down the clocks some or they crash.

Kenrou
Level 8
Have you tried editing the BIOS ? you might get a few more mhz stable if you bump how much she can draw from the cables/PCI-E.
CPU: i7-6700k @4.7ghz
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: Strix 980ti OC

RAM: 2x 8GB Ripjaws V 3200mhz C14
Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
HDD: 1x WD Black 4TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold
CASE: Fractal Define R5 Black