cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suit 3 overclock - MB code 04 - CPU dead!

RazerWaleed
Level 7
Hello,

I have new PC bought it 3 weeks back and was running fine. I was trying to make my CPU to go on 4.6ghz as I was on 4.5ghz. So I decide to use ASUS suit 3 in this case with the 5-way *optimization.

PC required restart and it came back up normally and start on 4.6ghz with 15sec stresstest. The moment it started for like 2 sec PC restarted and then screen, keyboard and mouse went off. The RGB lights in the Maximus hero viii was still on.

Nothing happen and I saw the *code on the MB was on 04.

Tried almost all possible solutions :-

*Reset CMOS, remove RAMs, change slot, using one slot, GPU out and in, Eventhough the thing that doesn't make sense I did such as removing the CPU. Nothing worked MB still showing 04 when I try to start it. But before 04 there are few numbers letters coming and then after like 5 sec I will see the 04.

I took it to the shop and we tried almost everything there nothing work last thing we did replace the CPU with used one just to test and screen back to work but with massage something to do with (RAID) eventhough I don't have.

I left my PC there so they will check and get back on Monday if it can be fixed by configuration or need a CPU replacement.*

Could it be that easy for CPU to be burned out or died that simple? Any thoughts ?*
11 REPLIES 11

Shenny
Level 11
I had a very bad experience with AI Suite 3 overclocking and for me it is a total garbage (other opinions may differ, of course). Presumably, it should try to overclock only the CPU but in my case, it had also set such aggressive timings on my RAM (concerning CL timings, etc) that the PC simply refused to come up. I fixed this by pushing MemOK button and setting the standard timings in the BIOS afterwards. Did you try this?

Yes I had tried everything nothing worked, I RMA it already and have new CPU now, everything is back to normal and i have deleted Suit 3 forever!!!

I never thought the CPU will be damaged easily this way? not sure if the MB damaged it or the CPU it self since its unlocked and we can do anything with it? what is strange what can damage it other then the voltage and if voltage went too high maybe which killed the CPU? i dont mean the temp becasue temp never exceeded 90s ( usually 70s ) on OC. while Stress testing from Suit 3 trying to OC.

or could it be the MB? because when i get the new CPU again Hero VIII is giving too high voltage again for the 4.2GHZ skylake. i changed it manauly to 1.19v and its fine

One main issue i can see different from other old CPU from HW monitering i see the 4 CORES temp are on idle for example 22-24c while the PAckage is on 29-31c?

in old CPU it was almost close like 1-2c different sometime even package is lower, in new CPU its higher most of time and there is different in IDLE status as i said.
what coould be the issue ? maybe thermal past was not put correctly? or could it be CPU by defult? and what is the package btw? is it the whole upper metal ?

thanks.

Shenny wrote:
I had a very bad experience with AI Suite 3 overclocking and for me it is a total garbage (other opinions may differ, of course). Presumably, it should try to overclock only the CPU but in my case, it had also set such aggressive timings on my RAM (concerning CL timings, etc) that the PC simply refused to come up. I fixed this by pushing MemOK button and setting the standard timings in the BIOS afterwards. Did you try this?

Janne-71
Level 7
I doubt your cpu was damaged actually, these days i think there is a shutdown is certain thermal limit is exceeded. But you right to dump aisuite3, learn to overclock yourself if you need want to do it...via bios. And in ram there are xmp profiles so you don't need any software to overclock them. Fans can also be adjusted from bios.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I also doubt your CPU was cooked. My guess is AI suite pulled a number on you like it did on me and corrupted the BIOS. Had a similar incident on an M8E assy and was able to recover using the alternate bios. Clearing CMOS wont do any good if what you are clearing settings on is corruption. the 5 WAY optimization has a lot of work to be done to it. I only ran it twice, first time was a lame OC with a high Vcore. Second time on the reboot it jacked my BCLK up to like 3.2 Ghz cant remember the exact number but was over 3Ghz and I about crapped myself when I saw it.

My guess is you probably could have recovered if you had the BIOS on a USB. Will never know. Also in the future please include more specs and numbers. What are you calling too high of a voltage and why did you randomly choose 1.19 which to me sounds low. You will never have any issues under 1.45 and with the right cooling can push it past that even. Ive had mine over 1.5 and 5 GHz but backed it off as there isnt much of a gain over the 4.95 Ghz I can get at 1.440 or the 4.6 I can get at 1.35.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

RazerWaleed
Level 7
Thanks Janne-71 and JustinThyme

yes if i need i will do OC from bios but i will not OC any time soon after what happen. as shop expert was not even able to fix the old CPU so he replaced it with new one. anyway

for very high i dont know but i see 1.35 up to almost 1.5 on 4.2ghz? I saw somewhere in this forum people were also complaing about the same that some MB are giving high voltage.

anyway this is not an issue. i come to 1.19 just by try and error since i saw some thread saying 1.25v for 4.2ghz then i start from there and keep lowering untill i reach this point 1.19v and below that my PC crash while playing or streetest.

if 1.19v too low for the CPU how can i know its impacting something? as my perfromance is fine i dont see any issue playing any game or even doing stress test or benchmarking giving same score.

unless it may do something to the cpu while its low voltage? i cant understand please explain if you think there might be some impact if going very low as 1.19 for 4.2Ghz Skylake.

after all i did not see difference between 1.35v or keeping it auto or changing it to 1.19v as performance is same, except one big benefit for me that the PC in general is working on silent mod no noisy fans and its 40% FANs SPEED and cooling radiator 50% with low performance PUMP at the end 53c maximums on playing games like BF1 or Forza 3 for hrs.

Thanks.

RazerWaleed
Level 7

Also after replacing the CPU also I Notice the temp as i mentioned different between the CORES and the CPU Package is that normal as it was fine before and no such difference.

before i used to have 24c in IDLE for all COREs for example and the CPU is 25-26c
But now if CORE is 24c the CPU package hardly go below 29c and usually 30c +

could it be thermal paste issue?

Regards,

Janne-71
Level 7
Why don't you take a look at chinos overclocking guide if you are new to it: http://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/guide-overclocking-core-i7-6700k-on-the-maximus-viii-extreme/

Janne-71 wrote:
Why don't you take a look at chinos overclocking guide if you are new to it: http://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/guide-overclocking-core-i7-6700k-on-the-maximus-viii-extreme/

I'm not looking for OC anymore at the moment and btw i did OC before via bios and it was fine it was 4.5GHZ 1.26v and XMP3200 for DRAMs.
the CPU dead afterward when i tried to OC from ASUS suit 3 only to 4.7ghz.

CPU replaced now and everything is perfect at default setup except using XMP 3200mhz. now my only concerns

1- about the temp different between CPU and the CORE temp as attachment above.
2- what is the harm of using very low CPU core voltage for 4.2ghz and my PC is not crashing and perfroming normally as any 4.2ghz?

Honestly I would be more concerned over temps that are all the same. They should be all different. The cores will typically be within a few C of each other and my package has always run hotter.

There is no harm undervolting if you will still run stable, question is why would you want to do that? Are you overheating, in a very hot environment? . Whats your current V core?: You can undervolt and under clock but seems you are going in the wrong direction here. Why not just buy a cheaper lower clocked CPU like a 6100?

Please post details so we don't have to speculate.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein