cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything is falling apart

kyrgeo4
Level 7
Hi can someone help me I have the weirdest problem ever, everything was working fine with g751jy until 2 days before today
first thing I saw was that the battery is dead and I mean 0% it says that is charging but it doesn't 3 days before it was reaching 100%,the laptop shuts off the only way to stay on is if I go to device manager and disable microsoft acpi compliant control method battery, second and most important problem
when I install a program any program let's say winrar or google chrome or update steam the program installs or updates fine but after a reboot the nvidia driver stops working and device manager says windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
I have windows 8.1 the ones that were preinstalled and BIOS 207 I have never updated BIOS
I have reinstalled and reseted windows several times from recovery
any help would be appreciated
6 REPLIES 6

Hitchy
Level 7
Hello,

First I think your battery is dead unfortunately theres is no solution when it happens. Buy a new one

Second I advise you to flash the latest BIOS update (Its v 210 for my G750 I don't know if it applies to yours also). But do it once you replace your battery cause you need a backup power while flashing your BIOS.

Lastly if you have updated NVidia drivers just before the problems start to occur I advise you to roll back to your previous version. However if yo did not update lately you should do so!

good luck

Thanks for your reply I can't update bios without a new battery like you said and it's not easy to change battery to this thing and I had the latest nvidia drivers before I reinstalled windows to fix the problem with the battery now when I try to update drivers nvidia stops working like when I try to install a new program

Korth
Level 14
It's not hard to change the battery, either. ASUS designed it to be nonremovable, but you'll only need one screwdriver and a few minutes. You'll find many detailed disassembly and battery replacement guides/videos on google.

Original G751YJ battery is a Li-poly rated 15V @ 5800mAh (88Wh), ASUS part A42N1403.
It is compatible with parts A42LM93, A42LM9H, 0B110-00290000M, and BTC-AUG751NB.
Many vendors sell these batteries, new and used and (usually just as good) no-name knockoffs, you can buy them cheap on ebay or amazon or pay a little more to obtain from a more reputable source. I see prices ranging from $50 to $125 in Canada, $35 to $80 in USA - maybe not cheap, but certainly cheaper than a useful new laptop to replace your half-useless existing one.

Your laptop can run on external power (AC adapter) without a battery. Though I wouldn't personally risk reflashing firmware (upgrading BIOS) without backup power, risk of a problem is low but consequences of a problem could be catastrophic (bricked device).

You should check your BIOS version before worrying about upgrading BIOS version. You may already be running the latest version.

Run full scans for virus and malware. Only install NVIDIA drivers from the official download site. Make sure you're logged into Windows as the "Admin", close all unnecessary programs, and "Run as Administrator" to install. You may need to reinstall DirectX. You may need to reinstall and repatch your game(s). I recommend isolating and eliminating software issues before assuming it's a hardware or firmware (BIOS) fault.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

I don't have a problem to buy an original battery the cost is not so high the problem is replacing it, I just don't have the skills I saw a video and the guy literaly tear it apart to change the battery, anyway If the battery life is around 2 years give or take it should be better to have a replaceable one
The laptop can't run only on external power I don't know why is that but it's a fact I have a laptop that runs only with plug I don't even have a battery on but not g751jy it shuts off,and BIOS can't be flashed with zero percent battery there is some kind of protection
BIOS version is 207 and I think the newest is 211
I did my tests and found that everything is working fine and is in perfect condition accept for the battery ofcourse,the only question I have is will it work if I remove the battery altogether?

Korth
Level 14
I'm guessing you have a newer (Win10) operating system which prevents the laptop from running without a battery. Other people on these forums have reported they can run the laptop without the battery, but they were running older (Win7) operating systems.

If you're not confident in your technical skills then take your machine to a computer shop where they service laptops. They can probably order the battery for you as well, though the final price will probably be a little higher.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

My operating system is Win 8.1 and I like it better than Win10 it's more beautiful to my eyes anyway
about the computer shop well there is a solution but I don't trust them either I think it should be better to call a friend that has better skills about hardware stuff and ask him to do it for me