cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a 1050 Ti in my G20BM?

Jayconius
Level 8
Both the 750ti and 1050ti don't have PCI-E power sockets.

Can I use the 1050 Ti in my G20BM as my GPU is dying?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
hello, yeah the gtx 1050ti will be o.k to fit as it will pull the power via the PCI-E lane, their is limit the amount of power that can be through the lane, so no graphics card will pull more then that.

Welsh Gaming

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
hello, yeah the gtx 1050ti will be o.k to fit as it will pull the power via the PCI-E lane, their is limit the amount of power that can be through the lane, so no graphics card will pull more then that.

Welsh Gaming

Does that mean I only need to use one Power brick?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Not necessarily, it just means it will pull power through the PCIe. That can work against you. your looking at full load consumption of around 75 watts for that card. If you have a 230W brick you can probably get away with it. You would be pushing the limits with just the CPU and GPU on a 180 watt brick. Keep in mind you should never run any power supply at a contant past 80% of its rated value. So 144 watts is the ceiling for the 180 watt brick and 184 watts for the 230 watt brick. The current will take as much as it can. You cant control current in a DC circuit as current is based off of difference of potential. The only way to change that is to change the volatge. In the end watts are watts. Voltage sags, current goes up, current goes up, heat goes up and the magic smoke gets out.

Just be sure to carefully calculate your power consumption for everything on the power supply.

The card doesnt have a power connection on it other than the PCIe so the kit for the second PSU wont do any justice.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I installed a EVGA 1050ti and a SSD on my Asus G20BM (Stystem is not pre-installed with SATA Cable.. Pain in the ass, also needs right angle SATA plug), as the memory on my R9 270 card seems to be faulty and I had to underclock the memory with MSI afterburner to make the system stable.

I've ran several bench marks and done around 2 hours of actual gaming on it with Battlefront and GTA V, it seems to running fine in my G20BM.

Before I installed mine, I checked the Power consumption of the 750ti vs the 1050ti, since the 750ti runs fine and sold in other G20s, I assumed the 1050ti would run since it only has a 4-5% more power consumption to the 750ti.

Installing the SSD was a nightmare without removing the CPU heat sync, I'm ill and wasn't in the mood for taking that off, and if I did I would of installed new Arctic cooling paste on it.. I might have forced the cooler up and over the SSD/DVD tray.. ^^ Which made the side panel really hard to put back on.. :3