cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM makes enough heat to cook a turkey.

larry0071
Level 7
Yesterday my son opened the Asus GL702VM ROG system and downloaded some cheesey driving game on it and was playing for a couple hours on the kitchen table. I sat down with him, and he mentioned that the keyboard was getting hot. I felt the upper end of the keyboard, and it's very noticably warm. Then I felt the exhaust behind the display, and wow! That thing is pushing it enough heat to roast a Christmas turkey!

Do these units typically run this hot as a way of life? Should I be looking at a USB powered cooking pad for under it, to force more heat dissipation? I've also seen the ones on Amazon that attach to the exhaust and have additional fans to draw heat out of the laptop PC better. I had hoped that with 3 fans and newer designed machines, that we didn't have to play this any longer, but after 1 day out of the box is starting to look as if thermal management is still a huge issue.

Let me know please, are you all seeing this issue, are you adding in your own additional cooling solutions, what are the expectations?

Larry / Pittsburgh PA.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
13 REPLIES 13

Appuru
Level 7
Hi Larry,

first off: yes, as far as I've seen it, everyone with the same or a similar notebook is noticing the rather awful heat management. Since it's such a small and thin build it is rather understandable though. Even my old laptop which was thicker and had much less power got pretty hot after a bit of gaming.

As for what to do: external cooling systems, those you put below as well as those you can stick onto the "exhaust", will probably help keeping the temperatur at bay.
Another thing you can try is explained in this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...
It involves 1-2 small programs to undervolt your CPU/GPU which should result in lower temperatures without losing a lot of performance (if any at all). With these you have to test quite a bit though, as for me MSI Afterburner might have resulted in other smaller problems (this may or may not be the case, I'm still trying to figure it out ^^).

Gl to you.

larry0071
Level 7
Thanks for the response! I think I'm going to try a 5 fan cooler pad initially, and we will see if that helps and how much.

JustinThyme
Level 13
No sense in fighting it, if its hot enough to cook a turkey ditch the cooling pad and load the freezer with turkey! Every time your son plays he can cook dinner at the same time!

Everyone complains of the heat of the high powered machines which is like praying for the end of a drought and them complain about the mud puddles when it happens.

What most fail to consider is you just took the power of a desktop and crammed it into a small thin box. The graphics processor in this machine while not the highest end is in fact the same that goes into a desktop card. So when you look down at the machine and think about cooking dinner on it, consider it has the same amount of heat to dissipate as an easy bake oven! Take a look at that power brick compared to an mcore machine or atom etc thats using the graphics that are built into the CPU. There is a reason its that big. Now look at the base portion of the machine, forget the display for a moment. Build a metal boz with the same dimension and put a 100W quartz tube in, them power it on for a few minutes and put your turkey on that! Will cook a lot fater. 100 watts is about what the TDP if this machine is and its actually a feat of engineering to pack that much punch into a package that small.

Something else before you come back to ask, this is a desktop replacment. The power brick is an integral part of its operation. If you are doing nothing but work processor tasks and surfing you will get some battery time, like two hours. If you are attempting to game dont expect more than 30-45 minutes if that. The reason I say attempt to game is the performance will take a hit by design while not plugged in to AC power. Also be prepared for the power brick to warm your potatoes while the turkey is cooking on the laptop! LOL

Enjoy the machine, Im sure your son will not give a hoot about the heat. That fat dude in the red suit is his hero right about now! Just dont let it rule his life. I had to restrict my sons time on his as he disappeared into another world and oblivious to the point of not knowing what is going on around him which is not good. He wanted an upgrade from the fat dude. Cmon seriously, you have a G751 JY and wanting more power than that? For what? He is 15 and got a set of Callaway Irons and a bag to put them in. He cut ame a stange look and I told him he can thank the fat man later.....He really enjoyed golf before he got that laptop and wanted to be on the high school golf team. The machine tries to rule his life but Dad isn't having it. I set it up on a domain that he has to log into when he is logging into the machine. To log into the machine he must be connected to the network. The network access for the machine has limited hours filtered by MAC address. He complains "But what if I want to log into it when we are on vacation and not home. I told him he wont have to log into the network while we are out of town, he got a big grin that quickly went to a frown when I told him that is not because the network rules change, its because the laptop will STILL BE AT HOME!!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

larry0071
Level 7
There is no doubt that the heat bothers me a lot more than it bothers him! My son is 11 and this is his first non console aside from his very cheap Toshiba laptop that was just got school word processing. Going from a $300 machine to a $1600 machine is one heck of a jump!

link626
Level 7
think about the airflow.

it's trying to suck in air from the thin gap beneath the laptop. It's starved for cool air.

raise the laptop higher so there's more air flow beneath it

LArry can you post the link for the cooling pad you've been looking at? I've been looking for some but im not sure which one would be the best for this notebook.

Now im at Cooler Master Notepal U2 Plus. You can move around the fans so you can find the sweet spot. If there are any..

But i would like to see the one you talked about that can suck out the heat.

Dassh wrote:
LArry can you post the link for the cooling pad you've been looking at? I've been looking for some but im not sure which one would be the best for this notebook.

Now im at Cooler Master Notepal U2 Plus. You can move around the fans so you can find the sweet spot. If there are any..

But i would like to see the one you talked about that can suck out the heat.

Just for anyone that wanted to know, I've finally made my choice on what I'm going to try. These things are so inexpensive that I want afraid to buy one based on cost, but rather based on reviews. So I've read a ton of Amazon user reviews and found that this is reviewed as quite, sturdy, week died to a 17.4" Asus, adjustable, lights dim enough that they aren't over bearing, and minimal chatter about failed units. So it's ordered and will be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Kootek Laptop Cooling Pad 12"-17" Cooler Pad Chill Mat 5 Quiet Fans LED Lights and 2 USB 2.0 Ports Adjustable Mounts Stand Height Angle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01469DJLM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_huiAybHNM4WZS

JustinThyme
Level 13
My son is 15 and isn't allowed to play shoot em up and blood and guts games. If it says MA on the rating he doesn't play it and his time is restricted even on the approved stuff. Same goes for the very little TV they watch. We dont have any game consoles other than the educational Vtech Im about to give to another couple with young children. I catch grief from some parents saying I'm being overbearing and I shouldn't be so strict. They tell me this right before they have to either attend a meeting because their child who is in a self contained classroom because of their violent behavior has caused yet another altercation. They also tell me this as their child sits with an electronic babysitter and falls into the obesity epidemic. They all tell me this while my kids are both top rated athletes in perfect physcial condition, my Daughter who is a senior this year has multiple offers for full rides to Ivy league schools and my son is the youngest Eagle scout in the history of the state. They have both been on the honor roll in AP classes since the first grade......yep, Im doing it all wrong....

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
My son is 15 and isn't allowed to play shoot em up and blood and guts games. If it says MA on the rating he doesn't play it and his time is restricted even on the approved stuff. Same goes for the very little TV they watch. We dont have any game consoles other than the educational Vtech Im about to give to another couple with young children. I catch grief from some parents saying I'm being overbearing and I shouldn't be so strict. They tell me this right before they have to either attend a meeting because their child who is in a self contained classroom because of their violent behavior has caused yet another altercation. They also tell me this as their child sits with an electronic babysitter and falls into the obesity epidemic. They all tell me this while my kids are both top rated athletes in perfect physcial condition, my Daughter who is a senior this year has multiple offers for full rides to Ivy league schools and my son is the youngest Eagle scout in the history of the state. They have both been on the honor roll in AP classes since the first grade......yep, Im doing it all wrong....

Were here talking about legitimate issues with laptops and overheating, no one is here for you to spout your agenda on how you plan cuddling your kid until hes 30.