cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I enable V sync in Nvidia control panel on my g752?

BL_11
Level 7
I have an Asus g752, should i enable Vsync with gsync in nvidia control panel?
12 REPLIES 12

Menthol
Level 14
No if your monitor supports Gsync you do not use Vsync

Menthol wrote:
No if your monitor supports Gsync you do not use Vsync

This is true, but.......V-Sync limits the max FPS to the screens max refresh rate (75) so no tearing. Additionally, for some reason on my G752VT if I don't enable V-Sync in game when playing world of tanks, my FPS drops and I get very bad micro stutter. If I enable V-Sync in game it's smooth and I max out my FPS. No idea why. It doesn't seem to happen on my desktop PC.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Korth
Level 14
Your G752VT and your PC have different hardware with different capabilities, you can't really compare their performances directly.

G-Sync is basically a quality setting. You can disable it (and default to V-Sync) to sometimes see higher fps. The question is whether you want to see more frames or you want to see better frames (or, technically, smoother transitions between them) - if you don't notice or don't care about diminished quality then go with V-Sync, there's probably no tearing for the G-Sync illusion to smooth over at low fps anyhow.

There used to be many threads (like this one) about "defective" or "absent" G-Sync in G752 when it was a new thing. But I seriously doubt your laptop has these issues.

I enable or disable G-Sync for different games. More because of G-Sync's (to me very annoying) "screen-flicker" than because of G-Sync's variable-fps throttling. And G-Sync works well in fullscreen but can be quite terrible in any sort of Windowed mode. Here's a GeForce Forum discussion about G-Sync which outlines some "bugs" and "limitations".
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

JustinThyme
Level 13
I never use Vsync and only enable Gsysnc if I see an issue as it does cause an FPS hit and slows your monitor down to match the output rate of the GPU. Its more notcible on the ultra high refresh rate monitors like the one I'm using currently at 165 Hz and only under very heavy load where two GTX 1080 stix's cant crank out frames fast enough.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

BoutTime01
Level 7
Personally I think G-Sync is fantastic. My only wish is that it capped the FPS to the monitor refresh rate. Or at least offered the option. For a time, the default Nvidia Control Panel setting was to have V-Sync enabled with G-Sync to effectively do just that. But now the default is use the in game setting. My G752VT doesn't offer Adaptive V-Sync either.
Possibly the issue is with World of Tanks. But the fact is that if I turn off V-Sync my FPS drops and I get terrible micro-stutter. Something has changed. Because previously with V-Sync off my FPS would peak above 75 and I'd get tearing.

Korth
Level 14
@BoutTime01
That's a fantastic idea! G-Sync should offer user-configurable limits on the slowest and fastest allowable frames!

The low threshold is where G-Sync turns itself off (and lets V-Sync take over), so G-Sync stops hitting fps performance when fps falls too low. Or, at the least, G-Sync suspends itself as needed on a per-frame basis, it will draw the next frame whether or not the GPU card has one fully ready to render, a way of stuttering G-Sync to retain a minimum fps rate instead of stuttering fps to maintain G-Sync. "Smoothing" animations by reducing screen tearing is completely useless when the GPU is struggling to reach 30-60fps and can't approach or exceed 60Hz/120Hz/etc display refresh rates anyhow.

The high threshold is where G-Sync turns itself on (V-Sync be damned!), so G-Sync can do what it's supposed to do and "fix" screan high-fps tearing. But there's no reason for G-Sync to hit fps with variable motion/animation stutter when, again, the GPU card can't possibly draw frames faster than the monitor can display them.

Users could balance their low/high thresholds so that gaming is predominantly V-Sync, G-Sync would only throttle fps when fps is high enough for it to actually make a difference.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
@BoutTime01
That's a fantastic idea! G-Sync should offer user-configurable limits on the slowest and fastest allowable frames!

The low threshold is where G-Sync turns itself off (and lets V-Sync take over), so G-Sync stops hitting fps performance when fps falls too low. Or, at the least, G-Sync suspends itself as needed on a per-frame basis, it will draw the next frame whether or not the GPU card has one fully ready to render, a way of stuttering G-Sync to retain a minimum fps rate instead of stuttering fps to maintain G-Sync. "Smoothing" animations by reducing screen tearing is completely useless when the GPU is struggling to reach 30-60fps and can't approach or exceed 60Hz/120Hz/etc display refresh rates anyhow.

The high threshold is where G-Sync turns itself on (V-Sync be damned!), so G-Sync can do what it's supposed to do and "fix" screan high-fps tearing. But there's no reason for G-Sync to hit fps with variable motion/animation stutter when, again, the GPU card can't possibly draw frames faster than the monitor can display them.

Users could balance their low/high thresholds so that gaming is predominantly V-Sync, G-Sync would only throttle fps when fps is high enough for it to actually make a difference.

Shouldn't it be the other way round? Predominantly G-SYNC?
Tested again yesterday with G-SYNC and V-SYNC both off and FPS goes much higher and fairly smooth. Strangely I also didn't notice any tearing either. But the smoothest experience in WoT is still with G-SYNC (NCP), V-SYNC and Triple Buffering (In Game) all turned on.

So it seems G-SYNC is not working well on my G752VT in WoT and needs V-SYNC to make the game smoother. Strange because my Desktop PC only has G-SYNC enabled and it's smooth as butter.

Korth
Level 14
You won't notice tearing until your GPU can draw frames faster than your panel can display them. <60fps on a 60Hz display won't produce any tearing, G-Sync won't affect quality (because there's nothing for it to "fix" or "improve") but it will impact performance (by sometimes throttling fps even lower). V-Sync would be better until actual fps exceeds display refresh, I was trying to say there should be a way to preset or configure G-Sync so that it can get to work or stand idle as needed on a realtime frame-by-frame basis instead of an all-or-nothing basis.

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
You won't notice tearing until your GPU can draw frames faster than your panel can display them. <60fps on a 60Hz display won't produce any tearing, G-Sync won't affect quality (because there's nothing for it to "fix" or "improve") but it will impact performance (by sometimes throttling fps even lower). V-Sync would be better until actual fps exceeds display refresh, I was trying to say there should be a way to preset or configure G-Sync so that it can get to work or stand idle as needed on a realtime frame-by-frame basis instead of an all-or-nothing basis.

As I understand it, G-Sync removes the need for V-Sync in that in addition to eliminating tearing, it also eliminates stutter and latency. Unfortunately not for me on this laptop playing world of tanks.
Strangely, with V-Sync off, my FPS do not exceed the max refresh rate of the monitor. But they should, because it is V-Sync that provides the Framerate cap. Instead, my FPS drop to around 60 and I get terrible stutter.
If I turn V-Sync back on my FPS go back up to the displays max of 75 and it's smooth with no stutter. So why do I need V-Sync on? G-Sync should do everything.
On my Desktop I have a ROG 144hz 1440 display. O have G-Sync on and V-Sync off and gameplay is smooth. My FPS vary between 80 and the games max of 127. Now I would expect to see tearing as the FPS are so high and the monitors max refresh rate is not being exceeded. But I also do not get any stutter. Yet with my laptop I do!?
I installed Nvidia Inspector on the laptop and there is a G-Sync setting to allow the refresh rate to either go to max or be determined by the game (default). If I select max then the stutter almost disappears and the FPS will also now exceed the 75 max refresh rate. So quite possibly the issue is World of Tanks struggling to cap the FPS at 75 without using V-Sync. Whatever the reason, G-Sync originally was supposed to replace V-Sync. But Nvidia keep changing their minds on what they recommend we select. They used to tell us to use V-Sync with G-Sync. Now they recommend we leave it to to what is selected in game. Its pretty confusing and I'd love a definitive answer from Nvidia.