cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU won't overclock past 3.8 GHz, PLEASE HELP!

dww339
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and posting in forums in general, but I am so frustrated that I don't know what else to do. I have spent days pouring through overclocking guides online and nothing has helped me. I am attempting to overclock with an i5 4670k and an ASUS z87 plus ( I also have a Hyper EVO 212 cooler, two 8GB DDR3 corsair vengaence, a Corsair 750W psu, a geforce gtx 760 gpu, and two 250 GB Samsung SSD's) . But the processor will not clock past the 3.8 GHz boost frequency that is the default turbo setting for the board. I will change the core ratio to 46 and the core voltage to 1.2, as I have read that if the PC makes it through the windows login then that means I have an above average cpu in the silicon lottery and then I can fine tune from there. But I make it past the login every time because the cpu just isn't overclocked. It will max out at 3.6 GHz when I have adjusted the values in the BIOS, but if I leave the BIOS settings at default then the cpu will actually clock up to 3.8 GHz. I try to stress test with AIDA 64 every time, in hopes that it will push my cpu to the overclock that I have set, but it never does. I have updated the BIOS, I have jumped the board to manually clear the motherboard memory, I have switched the TPU switch on the board, and I have attempted just about every overclock guide that I have read, but the cpu just will not overclock, or even become unstable or anything. Do I need to do a clean install of windows? Or is my board/cpu just not functioning properly? Please help!
11 REPLIES 11

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

A couple of observations:
1. You will need a whole lot more Vcore than 1.20v to reach 4.6GHz stable.
2. Is your Corsair memory one dual channel set or two separate sets?
3. Suggest using Realbench to stress test your overclock.
4. Have you cleared the CMOS and start from scratch with your OC bios settings?
5. What program are you using to monitor your Vcore voltage and CPU temps?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Korth
Level 14
Start your research on i5-4670K overclocking here, your research on ASUS Z87-PLUS overclocking here.

The integrated memory controllers on this processor natively support up to 2 channels of DDR3-1333/1600 - but you may have a hard time balancing CPU overclocks vs memory overclocks when populating all four DIMMs or using Double-Sided memory sticks or running beyond processor-supported maximum speeds (>800MHz, >1600MTps, <5ns). A processor with weak iMCs can force you to choose whether you overclock cores or you overclock RAM.

The integrated GPU on this processor just increases package heat and should of course be entirely disabled in BIOS, if you haven't already done so.

Intel provides no "official" voltage or temp references for this part, aside from datasheet specs and a general "recommendation" that voltage thresholds are never increased beyond about +10% their factory values. Although of course your BIOS might allow you to tweak several voltages, don't change any of them until you know exactly what they do and what your change should do.

The "standard" overclocking procedure goes something like this: you increase your clock or multiplier by a single increment, reboot and test the machine, if it's stable then you can increase again, if it's unstable you (reluctantly) increase voltage by one increment, reboot and test the machine, etc. You should only change one thing at a time, you should reboot and test the machine after every change, you can "skip" a few increments in the beginning if you are fully confident your hardware can do.

The settings which worked for somebody else will not necessarily work for you. Even when using "identical" components. Every chip has flaws and quirks and limits, the only promise you'll get is that it'll work to spec as rated by Intel, no promise at all that it'll work to overspec or what the "maximum" overrating might be.

If you did "read just about every overclock guide" you could find then you would already know all this basic stuff. You're describing a "frustration" approach where you're basically trying to change many arbitrary things together at random instead of a methodical approach where you isolate, test, and measure changes to your system performance in careful increments. You can hardly claim to have an "above average", "average", or even "below average" CPU if you haven't mapped out it's particular performance boundaries and decided how far you want to push performance-vs-stability along the curve.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Thanks for the responses guys!

Nemesis -
I chose 1.2 volts because that is what I had seen in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI) and in other places. I planned to adjust the voltage and ratio based on the results from the initial run. My Corsair memory are two separate sets of 8 GB. I did attempt to clear the CMOS through the BIOS and also by using the board's jumper and I believe it was successful in resetting the settings, but didn't help my issue. I use HWMonitor and CPUZ to monitor the CPU voltage and temps. The core voltage will read what my BIOS settings are set to, but temperatures are never higher than maybe the low to mid 60's (celsius), because the processor isn't even attempting to overclock the core ratios.

Korth -
Thanks for the links, I believe that I have actually been to both of them. I understand what you are saying about taking a methodical approach, but the issue that I am having is that the cpu will not even attempt to overclock, regardless of the magnitude of the overclock. This is where the frustration comes in, because it should at least be crashing (not that I would like that, but at least I would know that the cpu is taking the commands from the BIOS and I could adjust my settings). I can start from one increment above stock and test it out from there one increment at a time, but I guess I am just confused as to why the cpu seems to ignore my ratio settings. Shouldn't it at least crash if it can't handle it?

I don't know, maybe I should just upgrade my cpu and forget about overclocking.

dww339 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys!

Nemesis -
I chose 1.2 volts because that is what I had seen in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI) and in other places. I planned to adjust the voltage and ratio based on the results from the initial run. My Corsair memory are two separate sets of 8 GB. I did attempt to clear the CMOS through the BIOS and also by using the board's jumper and I believe it was successful in resetting the settings, but didn't help my issue. I use HWMonitor and CPUZ to monitor the CPU voltage and temps. The core voltage will read what my BIOS settings are set to, but temperatures are never higher than maybe the low to mid 60's (celsius), because the processor isn't even attempting to overclock the core ratios.

Korth -
Thanks for the links, I believe that I have actually been to both of them. I understand what you are saying about taking a methodical approach, but the issue that I am having is that the cpu will not even attempt to overclock, regardless of the magnitude of the overclock. This is where the frustration comes in, because it should at least be crashing (not that I would like that, but at least I would know that the cpu is taking the commands from the BIOS and I could adjust my settings). I can start from one increment above stock and test it out from there one increment at a time, but I guess I am just confused as to why the cpu seems to ignore my ratio settings. Shouldn't it at least crash if it can't handle it?

I don't know, maybe I should just upgrade my cpu and forget about overclocking.

Try basic OC settings with just one set of your 8GB memory.

Even though it may be the same make & model, it's not advisable to mix memory sets.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Do you have any of the eco warrior tree hugging options enabled? Like power saving ErP EuP TPU or whatever they are called? these will play havoc with OCing

Turbo is enabled?

If you clear CMOS...enter BIOS and then simply change multiplier to 39 making no other changes, save and exit...what happens?

Korth
Level 14
Here's some more links:
Overclocking i5-4670k with Asus Z87-A Motherboard [Easy Way] (3:29 YouTube video)
How do I overclock I5-4670K with Asus Z87-K (Tom's Hardware)
Haswell i5-4670k Overclock guide? (Tom's Hardware)
i5-4670k overclocking questions (Tom's Hardware)
Intel God's "Quick & Dirty" OC Guide to 4.4Ghz with Haswell (Tom's Hardware)
3 Step Guide to Overclock Your i7 / i5 Haswell Platform (Overclockers.com)
My Asus z87-Plus 4670k Ongoing OC (Overclockers.com)
Looking for an easy to understand ASUS mobo overclocking guide for beginners
Asus Z87-Plus and i5 4670k (Reddit)

I'll ask the obvious questions, though:

What BIOS version are you using? (Latest version for your motherboard is BIOS2103.)

Have you installed the Intel chipset drivers?

Your mobo "officially" supports (has been ASUS-tested) up to 32GB DDR3, overclocked to 2800/2666/2600/2500/2400/2200/2133/2000/1866/1800MTps, or not-overclocked 1600/1333MTps.
What are the exact part numbers and specs of your Corsair memory sticks?
Are they correctly plugged into the DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 slots, as the manual suggests, or incorrectly plugged into the DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 slots? (A counterintuitive naming convention just asking to create problems, lol.)
Are you running a custom memory profile, an XMP profile, or SPD profile?
Can you overclock your CPU with only one stick plugged into the DIMM_A2 slot, running at unexciting SPD settings?

And are you certain your CPU is an i5-4760K, not a (multiplier-locked) i5-4670?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Arne - I have always been sure to leave EPU disabled, I even went as far as manually switching it off on the board. I have reset BIOS before and attempted a minor ratio change, but it has no affect on the cpu clock.

Nemesis - I just removed one of the RAM sticks and tried an overclock using the first link from Korth's second reply as a template. BIOS reads the ratios set to 42, but HWMonitor still reads the cpu maxing at 3.6 GHz.

Korth - I will answer your questions in order: I have already updated to BIOS version 2103 (did this earlier in troubleshooting phase). I have installed the Intel chipset drivers using Intel Utility, (just did this yesterday because I made the upgrade to Windows 10). Here is the link to the specs on my memory stick, (http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-8gb-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz8gx3m1a1600c10). Yes they are installed in the correct slots, I have only been running them in the SPD profile. The overclock with only one memory stick was unsuccessful as well.. and yes I have the i5 4670k, my OS and every other software I have used recognizes it as a "k" processor.

I will be on a family vacation in a couple days, so I may not be able to check back for about a week or week and a half, but I appreciate the ideas from you guys. I will keep trying to get this sorted out, but I may have to accept the fact that either I have malfunctioning hardware, or I am just not cut out to overclock lol.

dww339 wrote:
Arne - I have always been sure to leave EPU disabled, I even went as far as manually switching it off on the board. I have reset BIOS before and attempted a minor ratio change, but it has no affect on the cpu clock.

Hmmm OK...just to cover all bases...the windows power plan is not set to power saver...?

You have AI suite installed?

Have you upgraded to win 10 from win 8?

Windows is in balanced mode, not power saver. I didn't download ai suite, because it wasn't functioning properly on windows 8 before I upgraded the OS. And I upgraded from windows 8, but I did a clean install and formatted my SSD before installing windows 10.