cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will we see more optons for the G701 after CES?

jmike
Level 7
Back in early '16, I spent a few weeks debating to purchase or wait and ran across a deal on an Alienware 17R3-4k-980m bundle w/ empty Graphics Amp for $1999 that I couldn't pass up. I've been happy with it but it has it's quirks and none of my Asus G-Series has ever let me down so I do regret it a bit. At the time I was looking I almost purchased a near equal Asus for a slightly lower price only it was 1080p w/ Gsync rather than 4k(it may have also been a 970). Either way I needed to make the purchase and decided that I'd just keep the laptop for a year, sell it and eat the loss towards the new G-Series that will be compatible with Asus's Graphics Amp.

Now that time has come and my jaw hit the floor at the prices, especially since some specs seem a bit wasteful or overkill. Nvidia 1080 w/ 8gb of VRAM but only a 1080p screen? Yes I know it's 120hz but a 980m could come close to utilizing that to it's full potential. $3k just to get my foot in the door is not only out of reach but out of sight.
MAIN RIG:
Maximus X | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | 2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | EVGA Supernova G3 1000 |
6 REPLIES 6

BoutTime01
Level 7
I'm still hoping the XG Station 2 will be compatible with my G752VT. Hopefully they'll release a BIOS to make it so. It doesn't make sense for Asus to settle on a 'generic' connection like TB3 and not support their older laptops that have TB3. After all it's the older laptops with 9**m GPUs that are more likely to benefit from a GPU Amp.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jmike
Level 7
When they unveiled it last year, wasn't it demo'd on a G752?
MAIN RIG:
Maximus X | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | 2x EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | EVGA Supernova G3 1000 |

jmike wrote:
When they unveiled it last year, wasn't it demo'd on a G752?

Not sure. They advertise the TB3 port on the G752VT as only 20Gbps rather than the full 40. But I think this is because only passive cables were available at the time and not active. Atleast I hope so as 20 won't cut it.

BoutTime01 wrote:
Not sure. They advertise the TB3 port on the G752VT as only 20Gbps rather than the full 40. But I think this is because only passive cables were available at the time and not active. Atleast I hope so as 20 won't cut it.

The G752VT may be advertised as 20Gbps, but the official site for Thunderbolt states its 40Gbps with USB C 3.1. The laptop has a Thunderbolt 3/USB C 3.1 port, so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Digimutant wrote:
The G752VT may be advertised as 20Gbps, but the official site for Thunderbolt states its 40Gbps with USB C 3.1. The laptop has a Thunderbolt 3/USB C 3.1 port, so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Then if it works I will be made up. I'll be keeping an eye on the compatibility list hoping the G752VT is added.

jmike
Level 7
I was mistaken and it wasn't a G752 however it's definitely a laptop from last generation. Here's the video in question:

CES 2016

Here's hoping for something. There's no way I want to spend $3-3.5k on a laptop. Many may ask: Why not step down to the Strix since it should do quite well at 1080p/60fps and I simply do not like ultra thin laptops.
MAIN RIG: