cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC DC Load Line Accident

Michael-i7
Level 7
Ok so I have the Asus z170 Deluxe motherboard and the i7 6700k. I've been overclocking and stress testing all week. After 6 hours of Aida64 and 2 hours of Realbench and 3 hours of P95 version 26.6 I crashed 70 minutes into p95 version 28.10. At 4.5Ghz and 1.295v with Llc at level 7 so my vcore was 1.296 at idle and would bump to 1.312-1.328 under load. Ouch. So I was toying around in the Cpu power management section I believe and setting all the turbo parameters to max and accidentally set the ac and dc load lines to max which was 62...Mohms. Saved and restarted and it shut off. I hit the power button twice and it for *a split second turned on then turned off immediately. So I unplugged and cleared cmos after I realized oh crap those last two settings should not have been touched. Now my motherboard and cpu run really hot at idle. I have the h100i v2 cooler so I have the link and I use hw monitor. I forget exactly what they're called in hw monitor but in the link there is motherboard temp 1, 2, and 3. Temp 2 like normal idle around 31c. They all used to. Now 1 and 3 idle at 53c and are completely in sync as they go up and down. Also Cpu package temp is 53c at idle where it use to be in the 20's and 30's as well. And pretty much at all times is the exact same temp as mobo temp 1 and 3. And I can verify they were always the same. Now My core 1, 2,3, and 4 temps are idling in the 20's and 30's and under load go to 60's and now 70's. As do the package and mobo 1 and 3. Go that high under load as well. And those three are always the same and always have been but used to idle much lower and under load stayed about 10c under what they do now. And t doesn't matter what I do I can set everything back to default settings these temps are high now all the time and it's scary. It's very disappointing and I feel like I have to buy a *new motherboard now and hope *don't have to buy a new Cpu as well. Can anybody help me wit this?
7 REPLIES 7

JustinThyme
Level 13
So you are running hot now at stock settings? If this is the case my guess is a new MOBO will be in order and chalk it up to the ah crap factor of messing with one thing too many.
The chips are really hard to cook. If you do its not going to be a matter of it running hot, its going to be a matter of not running at all. In 30 years at this Ive only cooked one quite some time ago and it was my own stupidity and being in too much of a hurry/distractions. The HSF was just hanging by the clips, they were not locked down. That went quick, like turned it on and a poof of smoke...gone! Chips today are designed to shut down before you can cook them, never say never but I would go as far as to say almost never.

What is sounds like is the chokes are cooked and you have no current smoothing and regulation now.
One thing I would try before going off the deep end is to flash back the BIOS with a clean ROM file. BIOS files getting corrupted while not all that common cant be ruled out as it still happens. Just had it happen to me in a different manner on an M8E not long ago. What happened made zero sense but it happened all the same. Wouldnt post period. Flipped the switch to BIOS 2 and BAM! Went back to BIOS one and went right back to wont post even after clearing the CMOS. Set BIOS 2 to default and copied BIOS 2 to BIOS and and they both work now.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Already got my new motherboard 2 days ago and nothing has changed its a trip all my core temps idle in the low 20's package 50 i was gaming in the 50's now I game in the 60's when under load tho like gaming when my package temp is 64c my core temps are real close like right there with it but at idle they are 30c under package temp i have two mobo temp readings that are the same as package i have searched and seen others with asus boards getting the exact same reading on hw monitor in the exact same places tmpin3 systin and package all around 52c at idle they stay the same no matter what they read they r the same wasnt like this the first 2 months idk new mobo didnt change a thing it might just be a false reading but even then my load temps now are around 10c higher then they were before but I stay under 65c gaming but well im abetween 60-65c gaming which seems fricken high to me but whatever if its the cpu ill find out soon enough because im getting the 7700k soon and keeping my z170 deluxe

Did bios flashback to 3 different versions on the other board didnt change anything have messed with bios yet on this one

Your pc is a beast j.c. dude 5 ghz 6700k thats why im getting the 7700k to get 5ghz i have the mg279q no g sync im taking it back to get the 27 inch dell tn panel g sunc for 559$ i think id rather have gsync on a tn panel than have ips without

cekim
Level 11
Dumb question: Did you check your H100? Fans spinning, pump running, RPM reported to BIOS? Still in the right mode (PWM vs DC).

10C higher (only) indicates its running, but maybe not with the same settings as before. There are also various advanced parameters what will have your idle temps high. The BIOS makes no attempt to idle efficiently and for me, tends to run a fair amount warmer than normal idle under windows or linux. So, settings to put VRMs and the like in "performance" and "Extreme" modes will tend to drive more current and heat into the system in the BIOS.

Yes everything. I really think it's software. For over a month it was fine, all cores idled around 22-25c package 26-30c. Two of my motherboard temps on every piece of monitoring software I've checked, were the same as my package temp. Maybe one degree under. Then suddenly core temps all the same as before but package temp 50-53c idle along with the 2 mobo temps. Rma'd the board, put new one in same thing it's weird i'm gonna do a fresh install and start over just been lazy.

Techie007
Level 7
Michael-i7 wrote:
So I was toying around in the Cpu power management section I believe and setting all the turbo parameters to max and accidentally set the ac and dc load lines to max which was 62...Mohms. Saved and restarted and it shut off. I hit the power button twice and it for *a split second turned on then turned off immediately. So I unplugged and cleared cmos after I realized oh crap those last two settings should not have been touched. Now my motherboard and cpu run really hot at idle. I have the h100i v2 cooler so I have the link and I use hw monitor. I forget exactly what they're called in hw monitor but in the link there is motherboard temp 1, 2, and 3. Temp 2 like normal idle around 31c. They all used to. Now 1 and 3 idle at 53c and are completely in sync as they go up and down. Also Cpu package temp is 53c at idle where it use to be in the 20's and 30's as well. And pretty much at all times is the exact same temp as mobo temp 1 and 3. And I can verify they were always the same. Now My core 1, 2,3, and 4 temps are idling in the 20's and 30's and under load go to 60's and now 70's. As do the package and mobo 1 and 3. Go that high under load as well. And those three are always the same and always have been but used to idle much lower and under load stayed about 10c under what they do now. And t doesn't matter what I do I can set everything back to default settings these temps are high now all the time and it's scary. It's very disappointing and I feel like I have to buy a *new motherboard now and hope *don't have to buy a new Cpu as well. Can anybody help me wit this?

I know this is an old post, and I am replying mainly in case someone else finds this thread when searching for the same issue. FYI, a loadline of 62 isn't bad at all. Anyway, I have had an ASUS and an MSI motherboard do the same thing--with different CPUs. There is a bug in these BIOSes somewhere that causes the AC/DC Loadline settings (among others) to get "locked out" internally when some setting is applied. I have not yet figured out what condition triggers this, but I do know what happens and how to fix it.
When this bug is triggered, this happens: The BIOS internally "locks out" and applies a crazy loadline (like 1/1 or 255/255) and locks the CPU to its highest boost ratio (e.g. 5.2 GHz) so it can't idle down--almost as if your CPU was under a constant, single-core load. You'll notice your CPU is pulling a constant 30-60w instead of idling down to 2-5w with temperatures to match. The BIOS will ignore your loadline settings completely (auto, manual, different numbers) during this (you can see what loadline is actually in use with HwInfo in the Processor section). You can power down, reboot, change OC settings, and the problem will persist--suggesting damaged hardware just like you're fearing!
To restore normal operation, you will need to either load a previous, non-corrupted overclock profile, or reset your BIOS to factory defaults. It will be very ironic to load a previous OC profile and hit save, with the BIOS showing you an empty list of changes being applied, but when it boots back up, the problem will be fixed. Or if you're loading BIOS defaults, you can go back and forth hitting [F10] and [Esc], manually re-setting all your OC parameters until that list of changes is empty, and yet the problem will be fixed. Now your CPU will downclock when it is idle, and idle current will be minimal as before, etc.

Good of you to tie this up with info that could be critical to someone frantically searching for help with this "no-boot" loadline setting issue. Seems like one of those extremely oblique MOBO issues that can be absolute *******s to figure out, even for knowledgeable ocers.
Z690 Apex 12900k G Skill 32GB 6666 Gigabyte 4080 OC H170i Elite Corsair 1600i Samsung 980 pro 2TB/1TB/1TB/1TB