cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus or Alienware ? (help me to choose for a new laptop)

LaptopMonster
Level 7
I'm thinkin to buy one of these two brands and I need some opinions from real users..please commend honestly..people says alienware overheats and can brake easily and working noisy..it is true or not ? what about Asus G series ??
12 REPLIES 12

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

Which notebooks have you been watching on ? (like asus g74 vs ailenware m17)
If you can post a link then we can compare and give our opinion then you can decide which brand you want.

I got the G73SW and I'm loving it. I have only experienced one problem with that notebook and that is defect backlit in KB

With the G74 there is some problems, but short story told, many of those problems get fixed after a clean install of the notebook and a BIOS update 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hi

Which notebooks have you been watching on ? (like asus g74 vs ailenware m17)
If you can post a link then we can compare and give our opinion then you can decide which brand you want.

I got the G73SW and I'm loving it. I have only experienced one problem with that notebook and that is defect backlit in KB

With the G74 there is some problems, but short story told, many of those problems get fixed after a clean install of the notebook and a BIOS update 🙂

yeah probably it is gonna be g74 or m17..I heard overheats problem for m17x but someones ( who use AW) say no,it has no problem like that..

and I wanna hear about g74 (probably g74sx ) good and bad review

slaytus
Level 10
Isn't Alienware Dell now? or owned by Dell? lol I hate Dell so monopolized. I'd go ASUS it's all I'll ever buy now can't beat em.
-|[ Clear Case ]|-
-|[ ASUS R.O.G. Crosshair III Formula ]|-
-|[ AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE 3.4GHZ (stock fan) ]|-
-|[ Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 ]|-
-|[ ASUS Radeon HD 6950 DirectCU II 2GB (o.c. 870MHZ) ]|-
-|[ Corsair Pro Series HX1050 ]|-
-|[ Eyefinity 3x ASUS 21.5" LED 1080P (running at 5982X1080) ]|- ...Building

^With a medium Budget^
next in line:
*SSD * EXT. BluerayRW * Corsair H100

Doan
Level 8
Throw out a little more information. What is your price range? What will your primary use for the laptop be? (specific programs/games/etc). What do you need/want in a laptop?
Hi, I'm Dan.

fostert
Level 12
Here are my impressions of my G74:

1) Windows 7 install is very bloated with useless-ware. Copy the e-driver directory in windows to a DVD, download Hirens BootCD and Windows 7 HP, erase drives, reinstall Win7, and finally reinstall only the backed-up drivers you want there. Fixed.

2) BIOS is very skimpy, with no control over anything an overclocker would want. Not that the CPU needs OC'ing (its very fast), but control of memory timings and CPU/DRAM voltages would be nice.

3) Built like a brick s**thouse; solid, absolutely love the keyboard, the hinge is beefy, and the audio is gorgeous. But its heavy...

4) be absolutely sure you are getting the 1920x1080 screen, and not the smaller version (in the BestBuy models)

5) the thing can be downright plugged with mondo amounts of RAM (32GB!). Awesome.

6) don't like the trackpad; battery life is short, and there is no backup BIOS chip in case of a bad flash (which leaves you RMA'ing the notebook).

Just my thoughts, good and bad. Overall impression so far: amazing laptop! Get it, period.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
3) .....and the audio is gorgeous.

Really? You actually like it? I think you may be the first owner I've seen who thought this model has decent audio, let alone "good" or "gorgeous." Aside from really cheap keyboard and touchpad hardware (unbefitting a TOTL laptop), I think the terrible audio is my biggest complaint. Otherwise, I do like it.

If laptops price is not problem then i think alienware is good for gaming but why i paid for asus g74sx... its your choise and life is risk. So... buy asus because most of all broblems this laptop can fix off,.

Guyss I'm in Netherlands and price can be different at where you live..my financial supports max 1700 euro If I'll get money from insurance for ex laptop otherwise max 1200 euro I can give...

Definetly I wanna play game in High Quality...

probably I can not buy AW if insurance wont give money..

BrodyBoy wrote:
Really? You actually like it? I think you may be the first owner I've seen who thought this model has decent audio, let alone "good" or "gorgeous." Aside from really cheap keyboard and touchpad hardware (unbefitting a TOTL laptop), I think the terrible audio is my biggest complaint. Otherwise, I do like it.

My feelings EXACTLY! Plus the support is abysmal... actually that's the worst part about Asus ownership, IMHO. 😞
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com