cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Qfan/fan control not working properly

evoke
Level 7
I've been experiencing all sorts of problems trying to get fan profiles to work in bios. Qfan tuning use to freeze the bios every time I ran it until I updated to 2202, now it only does it occasionally. As for the results, it sets the min fan cycle at 100%, so I'm entirely unable to set a manual profile. My fans are pwm and I'm using the pwm setting in the bios, I have also tested each fan separately on chassis headers to confirm that they all work. DC is also set to 100%, so I can't switch to that. I'm also unable to set the duty cycle and whatnot manually, as whatever I change just reverts back to 100 as soon as I hit enter.

The only function that works is the presets, if I set it to silent, standard or turbo the fans ramp up and slow down in accordance with CPU temperatures (as observed on desktop while stress testing). I also have complete control over the CPU fans RPM when using desktop software (tested with AI Suite 3). The reason I don't want to use the presets is I want the fans to be at their minimum RPM until 45c, then ramp up to keep the CPU under 70c. I've tried achieving that with AI Suite 3, but it has a few bugs and issues, like slow temp readings, causing CPU temp to spike until it catches up.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

cartoonistas
Level 7
Have you tried to set them manually in bios?Just putting the percentage you like, besides Qfan

Janne-71
Level 7
It froze with me too(the optimize process) before i could save it, heres what i did: i wrote down settings the tuning process made and after restart i applied them manually. Works for me.

Unfortunately I'm unable to set any manual settings. Whatever I change is just instantly set back to 100%.

evoke wrote:
Unfortunately I'm unable to set any manual settings. Whatever I change is just instantly set back to 100%.

Which values are you trying to use? Please list them for me.

Legolas
Level 9
Sounds like your fans are not attached correctly or fans needs more power. Max current for fans are 1A (12W). No splitting for fans or qfan will not work. Do you have PWM or DC fans? How many? what type of fans?
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
Sounds like your fans are not attached correctly or fans needs more power. Max current for fans are 1A (12W). No splitting for fans or qfan will not work. Do you have PWM or DC fans? How many? what type of fans?

I'm using two Akasa AK-FN058 Apache 120mm PWM fans, they are rated at .33A. One on the CPU header, one on the OPT CPU header. They are definitely attached correctly. I have tested them individually on both the chassis headers as well as on a different motherboard, they function as expected. As I mentioned, they also function correctly on the CPU headers when using desktop software to adjust speeds.

Chino wrote:
Which values are you trying to use? Please list them for me.

The one value I can't change, that automatically returns to 100 no matter what I put in, is min fan duty cycle. Upon running an optimisation, I hear the fans ramping up and slowing down, but it always sets the min cycle at 100. It's only when using the Silent, Standard or Turbo presets that it stops sitting at 100%. I have monitored the fan on desktop during stress testing and the RPM does ramp up in accordance with the Turbo preset, so that functions correctly at least.

I've fixed it. I reflashed the bios and ran Qfan optimisation, it set min duty to 100% and no amount of tweaking let me change it. I reflashed again and avoided running Qfan optimisation. Min duty cycle is now set at 20%. I've confirmed the RPM range for my fans and they do increase the correct amount according to the temperature. I guess the culprit here is Qfan optimisation, it clearly still has some quirks that need working out.