cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long boot Time - Rampage V Extreme

Egost
Level 7
POST complete, first ROG logo appears and all my usb devices are connected. Then second ROG logo appears and all usb device shuts off for 4-5 seconds. Dots starts spinning and then my desktop appears. Total boot time <60 seconds.

First boot after Installing Win10 was - 20-25sec. After pressing Power button, no ROG logo appears,it boots straight to the desktop. Then after installing all drivers from Asus and updating Windows, boot takes <60 seconds.

CPU:5960x
RAM: 32GB KIngston Predator 2800Mhz
GPU:GTX980 Strix
SSD: Samsung 950 -256GB
7 REPLIES 7

Brighttail
Level 11
NVMe will take longer than normal SSDs.

So after first boot you didn't have things like GPU drivers, mouse/keyboard drivers, monitor drivers, USB 3.1 drivers, ect ect. Each of these things increase boot load times, not to mention any programs that are part of your startup routine.

So naturally you can do things like go into the MSCONFIG and disable anything you don't need to run at start up.

From BIOS you can turn OFF items you don't need loading. For me I don't use Bluetooth/Wifi for example and I turn those things off. You can change the boot device to UEFI only and not to load other USB/Sata items until after it boots into windows. The more you can turn off the quicker the boot will be.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
NVMe will take longer than normal SSDs.

So after first boot you didn't have things like GPU drivers, mouse/keyboard drivers, monitor drivers, USB 3.1 drivers, ect ect. Each of these things increase boot load times, not to mention any programs that are part of your startup routine.

So naturally you can do things like go into the MSCONFIG and disable anything you don't need to run at start up.

From BIOS you can turn OFF items you don't need loading. For me I don't use Bluetooth/Wifi for example and I turn those things off. You can change the boot device to UEFI only and not to load other USB/Sata items until after it boots into windows. The more you can turn off the quicker the boot will be.

Why do you say NVMe takes longer? Every machine I have that has NVMes its quite the contrary. Laptop with 2 950 pros in Raid 0 is up in 7 secs opposed to 25 seconds on an 850 pro, Desktop that was first started with 850 evos took about 40 seconds and now with a single NVMe it takes half that.

Just curious as to what you have to substantiate this as Ive seen the exact opposite from experience.

At OP
Watch what your MOBO indications, whats the Q codes doing while this is going on. Nothing is going to happen until the Q codes are done.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Korth
Level 14
R5E has a big fancy UEFI packed with big fancy BIOS programs running through the big fancy magical "ROG Chip", it's truly a Mount Rushmore among X99 motherboards - with many add-ons to the base chipset to extend features, increase hardware compatibility, support more storage and more speed and more bling and more everything. All these extra processes and complexities also increase startup times.

My massively multifaceted R5E takes much longer to startup than my strictly-Intel-spec plain vanilla X99-A. Only a trivial issue unless you plan to restart your machine over and over again each day.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Qwinn
Level 11
JustinThyme: The Intel line of NVMe SSD's, like my Intel 750, are known for longer boot times, because they're calibrated for industrial standards. The Samsungs much less so.

tistou77
Level 13
This is not related to the Samsung NVMe, with a 950 Pro or SM961

R5E, bios 2xxx => boot in 9.8 sec
R5E, bios 3xxx => boot in 16.8 sec
R5E10 => boot in 22.3 sec

Clearly related to bios
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

Qwinn
Level 11
tistou77: The latest 3501 BIOS appears to have resolved whatever issue caused that. It might even be booting faster than 2101 did.

Oddly, the boot time as reported by Windows event viewer doesn't seem to accurately reflect the improvement in boot time. I suspect it's only reporting the boot time of the OS itself - that hasn't really changed. Most of the speed increase of 3501 appears to be before that, prior to the option to enter the BIOS. It's cycling through the Q-Codes much faster (and I'm not seeing the extra reset to 00 that I noticed during all the previous 3xxx BIOS's - or rather, there's still a reset to 00, but it happens much much earlier in the cycle). That seems to come up much quicker now, several seconds at least (and mine didn't take all that long before, either).

EDIT: Just tested with a stopwatch. Confirmed that the extra 00 reset during post that I noticed on all previous 3xxx BIOS's is either gone or happening within the first couple seconds. From pressing the power button to the Windows login screen took 38.83 seconds. The vast majority of that is spinning Windows dots - it goes through almost 3 full revolutions before the login screen. Event Viewer claims the boot took 23.5 seconds, and I'm assuming for the moment that that counter starts about when the Q Code hits AA and the dots starts spinning (which is simultaneous for me). That's on an Intel 750 SSD which is known to have long boot times, and with Fast Boot disabled in the BIOS (it never made a difference before). So, the full post is taking approximately 15 seconds for me, including the pause allowing us to get into the BIOS. Still seems a lot quicker than 3101-3402 to me.

I noticed about a 10-15 second increase from booting times from my R5E to R5E10. I trimmed down things like no Wifi/Bluetooth/CSM/Fastboot/turning off memory checking ect and managed to get it back to about where the R5E was.

I trimmed it down further by not loading Sata devices and such, but in the end whether it is going from a cold boot to Windows or waiting for Windows to stop loading all the stuff I said to load after startup, it is about the same.

Qwinn wrote:
tistou77: The latest 3501 BIOS appears to have resolved whatever issue caused that. It might even be booting faster than 2101 did.

Oddly, the boot time as reported by Windows event viewer doesn't seem to accurately reflect the improvement in boot time. I suspect it's only reporting the boot time of the OS itself - that hasn't really changed. Most of the speed increase of 3501 appears to be before that, prior to the option to enter the BIOS. It's cycling through the Q-Codes much faster (and I'm not seeing the extra reset to 00 that I noticed during all the previous 3xxx BIOS's - or rather, there's still a reset to 00, but it happens much much earlier in the cycle). That seems to come up much quicker now, several seconds at least (and mine didn't take all that long before, either).

EDIT: Just tested with a stopwatch. Confirmed that the extra 00 reset during post that I noticed on all previous 3xxx BIOS's is either gone or happening within the first couple seconds. From pressing the power button to the Windows login screen took 38.83 seconds. The vast majority of that is spinning Windows dots - it goes through almost 3 full revolutions before the login screen. Event Viewer claims the boot took 23.5 seconds, and I'm assuming for the moment that that counter starts about when the Q Code hits AA and the dots starts spinning (which is simultaneous for me). That's on an Intel 750 SSD which is known to have long boot times, and with Fast Boot disabled in the BIOS (it never made a difference before). So, the full post is taking approximately 15 seconds for me, including the pause allowing us to get into the BIOS. Still seems a lot quicker than 3101-3402 to me.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop