ROG Member Array

ASUS ROG STRIX X99 Problems

Hi. I'm having serious problems with my new Asus ROG STRIX X99 motherboard.

Sporadically it will start but there'll be a blank screen. The computer seems to be running properly but there's no picture. I have to reset it many times to get it to work properly.

My componenet are: 32GB 2400mhz DDR4 Kingston memory, new, can run memtest for over 24hrs with no errors.
    I7 3800k CPU - new, tested in 1 other machine
    Asus Strix 1080 GTX - new, tested in 1 other machine.
    Seasonic 760w PSU - new, has been tested in 2 other machines.
    2x ssd drives. 2x sata drives. All with no problems detected in hard disk sentinal.

That's the main stuff. I built it for a work machine as I do video editing, but I also do a little gaming.

So far I've tried the following:
    No overclock.
    Removed all asus optional software. Only drivers installed.
    Removed 16GB of memory. Only 16GB being used in the main 2 slots according to the manual.
    Removed all USB devices except for keyboard and mouse.
    Updated to Bios 1402

But this problem persists.

I haven't had this problem for a couple of days now. This morning I woke up at 5:30 and it turned on straight away. I played some Witcher 3 and did a few hours of editing. This afternoon I had the blank screen again. The bios code read AA or A2. On the 10th restart it booted to windows and now it's working fine. That's probably the most annoying aspect of this issue. If it gets to windows it's fine. No crashes, nothing. It's just getting it to boot to windows which is the hard part.

I don't see any bios prompts when I first turn on the computer. Or very rarely. Maybe 1 in 20 times I'll see the prompt to hit del or f2 to go to bios. If I hit one of these buttons to go to bios when I don't see the prompt, it'll just go to a blank screen. The computer seems to be working fine, but I can't see anything so will need to restart.

Any help from Asus on this issue would be very appreciated.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Sxio View Post

Sporadically it will start but there'll be a blank screen. The computer seems to be running properly but there's no picture. I have to reset it many times to get it to work properly.

My componenet are: 32GB 2400mhz DDR4 Kingston memory, new, can run memtest for over 24hrs with no errors.
    2x ssd drives. 2x sata drives. All with no problems detected in hard disk sentinal.

That's the main stuff. I built it for a work machine as I do video editing, but I also do a little gaming.

No overclock.
    Removed 16GB of memory. Only 16GB being used in the main 2 slots according to the manual.
    Updated to Bios 1402

I haven't had this problem for a couple of days now. This morning I woke up at 5:30 and it turned on straight away. I played some Witcher 3 and did a few hours of editing. This afternoon I had the blank screen again. The bios code read AA or A2. On the 10th restart it booted to windows and now it's working fine. That's probably the most annoying aspect of this issue. If it gets to windows it's fine. No crashes, nothing. It's just getting it to boot to windows which is the hard part.

I don't see any bios prompts when I first turn on the computer. Or very rarely. Maybe 1 in 20 times I'll see the prompt to hit del or f2 to go to bios. If I hit one of these buttons to go to bios when I don't see the prompt, it'll just go to a blank screen. The computer seems to be working fine, but I can't see anything so will need to restart.

I am having the same issues and already Rma d one board back to Newegg. I just got off the phone from a dead line from Asus support to which they seemed to hang up on me. I ave too much time and money invested in this to have issues. They wanted me to send the board to them, my response was to have their tech build a system just like mine and report back to which gave me a dead phone line. TY ASUS SUPPORT for nothing. Also you phone system sucks can't understand half of what the tech was saying.

Moderator Array

Sxio,

This sounds a little like either PEG training failure, ME failure, or power failure. Will suggest to try:

1. Reset Intel ME by conducting CLRTC (CMOS Clear) without battery and AC power source.
    2. Try turning off Spread Spectrum.
    3. Try raising the CPU Cache Voltage.
    4. In worse cases you can try to lower the PEG from the default AUTO to GEN2 to see if this makes any difference. Of course, this step is just to test if there is a problem with the signal quality between CPU and GPU.

Let me know if thse cannot help to iron out the problem for you.

regards,

For the CPU, are you talking about 6800K instead of 3800K?

ROG Member Array

Hi ASUS-OP. Thanks a lot for your reply. I've tried most of your suggestions and it's still the same. I've also tried using another PSU. Also no change. At this point I feel like I've gotten a faulty motherboard but I'm really not looking forward to taking it back to the shop because the problem doesn't happen every time.

I also have found a new problem. Even though this machine has 32GB of RAM, most times only 24GB is detected. Then out of the blue it will detect all 32GB. I've tried running it with only 1 stick of 8GB. The other problems still persist. I've rotated the sticks I was using as well. Still no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-OP View Post
    Sxio,

This sounds a little like either PEG training failure, ME failure, or power failure. Will suggest to try:

1. Reset Intel ME by conducting CLRTC (CMOS Clear) without battery and AC power source.
    Done. No change.

2. Try turning off Spread Spectrum.
    Done. No change.

3. Try raising the CPU Cache Voltage.
    I'm not really confident doing this. And it doesn't feel like it's something I should have to do to get the mobo working as it should.

4. In worse cases you can try to lower the PEG from the default AUTO to GEN2 to see if this makes any difference. Of course, this step is just to test if there is a problem with the signal quality between CPU and GPU.
    I just want the motherboard to work on default settings. I don't want to root around in bios to this extent. I just need this machine to work so I can use it for my employment. If everything was going great I'd be happy to tackle some overclocking for increased performance, but I'm really reticent to start changing setting JUST to get it to work as it should. I still appreciate all your help though.

Let me know if thse cannot help to iron out the problem for you.

regards,

For the CPU, are you talking about 6800K instead of 3800K?
    Yes sorry, it's the 6800k.

Any ideas on what I should do from here?

Moderator Array

Hi Sxio,

My suggestion 3 and 4 are only for debugging purpose. They are not fixes from the start. Knowing the result of those two tests can help us to identify what is the main cause of your issue.

With the new inputs provided, it seems some of your DRAM kit has not passed the Intel IMC memory training cycle from time to time.
    You may want to raise te VCCIO/VCCSA boot voltage to allow more voltage only during POST stage to iron out this matter.

regards,

Hi ASUS-OP. Thanks a lot for your reply. I've tried most of your suggestions and it's still the same. I've also tried using another PSU. Also no change. At this point I feel like I've gotten a faulty motherboard but I'm really not looking forward to taking it back to the shop because the problem doesn't happen every time.

I also have found a new problem. Even though this machine has 32GB of RAM, most times only 24GB is detected. Then out of the blue it will detect all 32GB. I've tried running it with only 1 stick of 8GB. The other problems still persist. I've rotated the sticks I was using as well. Still no dice.

Done. No change.

Done. No change.

I'm not really confident doing this. And it doesn't feel like it's something I should have to do to get the mobo working as it should.

I just want the motherboard to work on default settings. I don't want to root around in bios to this extent. I just need this machine to work so I can use it for my employment. If everything was going great I'd be happy to tackle some overclocking for increased performance, but I'm really reticent to start changing setting JUST to get it to work as it should. I still appreciate all your help though.

Yes sorry, it's the 6800k.

Any ideas on what I should do from here?

New ROGer Array

Same Problem

Hello
    I have the same problem "overclock failed" even when using default settings, also the memory stick in slot b1 dissappears. If I turn the PC off from the power button and then restart, the PC starts up and loads windows. There seems to be quite a few people haveing similar problems with other types of MoBo, the one thing that we all have in common is that it is an ASUS MoBo. I should have known better as the only other ASUS Mobo I purchased was also unreliable peice of rubbish.
    SmiffyRebel

Moderator Array

Hi SmiffyRebel,

Memory channel disappear is the classic behavior of incompatible memory module that has failed memory training by Intel MRC code. You can turn that feature off, with the tradeoff of memory instability. Please be informed that X.M.P. (aka Extreme Memory Profile) is the pre-overclocked settings defined by memory vendors on the platform they have qualified in their QVL list with the combinations they are sold as. Memory kit sold in a bundle of two will guarantee to work 100% with their QVL'd motherboard at such settings. There may be cases where more set of the same kit will not work at such frequency. In such cases you will need to adjust IMC voltage to jack up the compatibility when you have a weaker CPU, or when the memory timing is too tight to operate with combinations outside what they are sold at.

Hope this helps to clarify the confusions further. Let us know your configuration and we will see how we can assist you to make them work stably with your system in the best we can.

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyRebel View Post
    Hello
    I have the same problem "overclock failed" even when using default settings, also the memory stick in slot b1 dissappears. If I turn the PC off from the power button and then restart, the PC starts up and loads windows. There seems to be quite a few people haveing similar problems with other types of MoBo, the one thing that we all have in common is that it is an ASUS MoBo. I should have known better as the only other ASUS Mobo I purchased was also unreliable peice of rubbish.
    SmiffyRebel

ROG Member Array

I also got the ASUS Strix X99 motherboard. Since day one I been having lots of problems. I send the motherboard back to Asus got another one still same crap. I updated bios same crap. The motherboard seems very unstable and I keep getting a overclock failed when I didn't even overclock nothing I think I'm moving from asus to another company as even asus doesn't know what to do

The worse of all I had to go for the rgb for all parts. And really it looks awesome but when your 4 memory sticks with rgb won't sync with the asus software it just makes the look not so nice this motherboard I think was a waste of money. I always bought cheap asus motherboards and had no problems why does this one that cast a lot have to be a pain

No overclock.
    Updated to Bios 1402