cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q stuck in debug / factory mode

NA1D00
Level 7
My PG279Q is stuck in a debug mode of sorts.

When I press the menu button directly below the joystick I get an output on the top left hand side of the screen giving me some information about the monitor, including die temp and version numbers.
Whenever the monitor reboots / powers on, it loses any changes I have made and goes back to this default mode.
When the monitor loses signal, it flashes between different colors instead of going into power saving / standby, this can be changed in the debug menu but just until the monitor is powered off and on.
HDCP is disabled in this mode.

Does anyone know how to get my monitor back to "normal" mode?
I have contacted Asus support and am currently waiting for feedback.
46 REPLIES 46

Crashcourse316
Level 9
You could give this a shot while you are waiting for Asus response... with the monitor off hold the select button toggle down, Then press the power button and turn it on (do it when its already connected to your computer that is turned on). once its on press the menu button and look for a factory menu which should now be showing up in your OSD options. select the factory menu and looks for an option to turn off the extra OSD stuff. DO NOT change any of the settings if you don't clearly understand what they mean. you may mess up the monitor by changing the settings (they can be reversed but just don't mess with it if you don't have to). If you do want to change settings and mess with it take pictures of all the current settings before you make changes so you can go back to original settings if you accidentally mess something up.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
You could give this a shot while you are waiting for Asus response... with the monitor off hold the select button toggle down, Then press the power button and turn it on (do it when its already connected to your computer that is turned on). once its on press the menu button and look for a factory menu which should now be showing up in your OSD options. select the factory menu and looks for an option to turn off the extra OSD stuff. DO NOT change any of the settings if you don't clearly understand what they mean. you may mess up the monitor by changing the settings (they can be reversed but just don't mess with it if you don't have to). If you do want to change settings and mess with it take pictures of all the current settings before you make changes so you can go back to original settings if you accidentally mess something up.

Thanks for the response and idea.
There are only 3 very straight forward options in the factory menu.

Regardless of which I change, those settings are also lost as soon as the monitor is powered off.

I'm open to any other ideas. There must be some combinations of keys to press to force a reset or get out of factory / debug mode.

NA1D00 wrote:
Thanks for the response and idea.
There are only 3 very straight forward options in the factory menu.

Regardless of which I change, those settings are also lost as soon as the monitor is powered off.

I'm open to any other ideas. There must be some combinations of keys to press to force a reset or get out of factory / debug mode.

Ill mess around with mine tonight if i remember. Maybe I'll have better luck
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
Ill mess around with mine tonight if i remember. Maybe I'll have better luck

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I have included a picture of the menu I get when I press the button under the joystick.
Regardless of what I change in this menu, it always reverts back the same.
The only thing that changes is the uptime and temperature.

NA1D00 wrote:
Thanks. I appreciate it.

I have included a picture of the menu I get when I press the button under the joystick.
Regardless of what I change in this menu, it always reverts back the same.
The only thing that changes is the uptime and temperature.

So turning off the factory menu check mark does nothing? There's a troll in the dungeon!!!!

Also since you seem to be responding quickly give this one a shot.

step 1:Turn the monitor on
step 2:Press and hold the menu button down
step3:"UNPLUG the Monitor" (keep holding the menu button)
step 4: plug the monitor back in and power on (what I found doesnt specify when to release the menu button so i would just hold it down the whole time until its back on)
step 5: your supposed to be able to navigate the service menu at this point.
step 6: ?
setp 7: profit
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Crashcourse316 wrote:
So turning off the factory menu check mark does nothing? There's a troll in the dungeon!!!!

Also since you seem to be responding quickly give this one a shot.

step 1:Turn the monitor on
step 2:Press and hold the menu button down
step3:"UNPLUG the Monitor" (keep holding the menu button)
step 4: plug the monitor back in and power on (what I found doesnt specify when to release the menu button so i would just hold it down the whole time until its back on)
step 5: your supposed to be able to navigate the service menu at this point.
step 6: ?
setp 7: profit

Turning off the factory menu disables the screen I attached, till the monitor is powered off. Once it boots up again the factory menu is still there.

I tried the other steps, holding the button under the joystick and there was no change.
I also tried holding the joystick down. Still no change.

Asus did get back to, said I should take it back to the retailer.
I'll do so tomorrow morning but if you have anything else I can try today I'd really appreciate it because I have no idea how long the retailer is going to take to get it fixed.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
Well the main thing with the service menu is it's "supposed" to go away when you restart the monitor. It's only supposed to go on when you do the button combo the single time. I'll test mine when I get home and let you know if it's the expected behavior. I was kinda thinking your monitor might have a firmware issue.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Cool, so far I've found at least one other report of this happening but been unable to contact the user to see if they got it resolved.
Have you opened the service menu on your monitor before?

NA1D00 wrote:
Cool, so far I've found at least one other report of this happening but been unable to contact the user to see if they got it resolved.
Have you opened the service menu on your monitor before?

So looking into this more it looks like Asus is not going to reveal to you how to go in or out of the factory menu. I have a hunch on how you got into it by mistake. similar to Acer's XB monitor, it required you press in a "code" based on your menu buttons on the monitor aka 12345 for the 279q. one being the power button but there is a toggle so up down left right(may be part of it or not i dont know). but we might be looking at a classic mistake of you hit the buttons in the correct unknown order and activated the menu. I have tried about 50 different styles to active the service menu and none of them work. so the only thing I have an idea on is that it might be a code..ex: buttons 4,4,3,3,up,left,1....why they won't give a user how to active it or deactivate the menu I don't know. I have not found any way to do it on this monitor. Sorry, I tried.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v