cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VM (i5,1060) Idle clock problem?!

Kash188
Level 7
Hello everyone,

i am afraid i screwed something up. I tried to undervolt my laptop via ThrottleStop.
I hope im not imagining things, but my idle clock is 1596 Mhz (x16), shouldnt it be 798 (x8)?

I did complete fresh install of Windows 10 and it still stays at 1596 mhz idle.

Did i damage my CPU? or am i just imagining things and the frequency is as is should be?

Thanks for any help/ answer
3 REPLIES 3

unclewebb
Level 10
Some laptops with 6th Gen processors and Windows 10 are using Intel Speed Shift Technology. *The latest version of ThrottleStop gives you full control of your CPU speed if Speed Shift is enabled. *If you do not know how to set up the program, it can interfere with your CPU using the 8 multiplier and going down to 798 MHz when idle. *You also have to make sure that your CPU is actually idle. *A new install of Windows 10 will often times have a lot of stuff running in the background. *Even though you are not doing anything on your computer, your CPU might not be even close to idle.

If you plan to use ThrottleStop, post some pictures of the main screen, the FIVR window and the TPL window so people can see how you have the program setup.*

ThrottleStop 8.40
https://www.sendspace.com/file/p6wkzr

unclewebb wrote:
Some laptops with 6th Gen processors and Windows 10 are using Intel Speed Shift Technology. *The latest version of ThrottleStop gives you full control of your CPU speed if Speed Shift is enabled. *If you do not know how to set up the program, it can interfere with your CPU using the 8 multiplier and going down to 798 MHz when idle. *You also have to make sure that your CPU is actually idle. *A new install of Windows 10 will often times have a lot of stuff running in the background. *Even though you are not doing anything on your computer, your CPU might not be even close to idle.

If you plan to use ThrottleStop, post some pictures of the main screen, the FIVR window and the TPL window so people can see how you have the program setup.*

ThrottleStop 8.40
https://www.sendspace.com/file/p6wkzr

Thank you for your reply. Maybe i expressed myself poorly.

I tried ThrottleStop. Then i stopped it. Then Did fresh install. Then Reflashed BIOS even. And all my cores still sit at idle (really idle) clock of 1596 (x16).

And i dont know what´s happening, because i thought they should sit at 798 (x8).

Sice you claim your software cant do any permanent changes. I´m kinda scared that i somehow damaged my CPU. (though i really only tried -100mV, nothing else everything default)

Or am i just stupid and it isn´t supposed to sit at 798 when idle?

unclewebb
Level 10
Are you using the Windows Balanced power profile? *You need to check that and make sure your minimum processor state is set to a low number like 5%. *That is what controls the minimum speed of your CPU. *

Speed Shift can also control your CPU and a bios / Windows update might have enabled that. *Try running HWiNFO and see if SST is showing in green.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/intel-speed-shift-technology-mia.2463727/page-2#post-38346949

What monitoring software are you using now?
ThrottleStop does not make any permanent changes. *It has no interaction with your bios or with Windows. *As soon as you reboot, if you do not run ThrottleStop, it will have no control of your CPU. *You did not damage your CPU. *You just have to set Windows up properly. *Asus or Windows might have decided to disable 798 MHz. *When your C States are enabled and working properly, a slow CPU does not save you much if any power at all. *It is much more important to make sure your CPU is going into the low power C States like C7 compared to going down to 798 MHz. *A CPU core in C7 is at 0 MHz and 0 volts regardless of what most monitoring software is going to tell you. *MHz is not correctly reported when the CPU is in C7. * *