cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 960 Benchmarks

Hopper64
Level 15
Just posting these to see what others are getting. Don't know if I need some tweaks to the OS to improve the findings. Windows 10 fresh install and W10 optimizes things pretty much so I don't know if I need to do anything else.

MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro
54 REPLIES 54

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I'll have mine up the week after ces. Don't want to have to take apart my water cooling loop twice, just so I can fit new ram in. I also have a Wings PX1 coming within a week to deal with edge cases that might cause thermal throttling.

smokeintheeye
Level 11
hello do you know how to set the link speed in bios 3501 for the 960 evo? just got the 250gb one today but its showing at 2x4 not 3x4. but cant fined the setting anywhere in the bios for it.

Any Reputation is welcome. thanks

When I did a Samsung 1TB SSD on another system, the Samsung Magician allowed for a huge improvement, at least on benchmarks. Hard to really tell otherwise.....LOL

Is the Magician Certified now for the 960 EVO??

Also Are the Samsung drivers superior to the standard Win 10 NVMe driver????...... and did you wind up throwing any special switches in BIOS. I have a 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 that I boot from and an X99 STRIX Gamer and am very interested.

Here are the numbers from my ASUS R5E10 with Samsung 960 PRO 2TB , using the Samsung driver Samsung_NVMeDriver_2.0.exe dated 16 October 2016.

smokeintheeye wrote:
hello do you know how to set the link speed in bios 3501 for the 960 evo? just got the 250gb one today but its showing at 2x4 not 3x4. but cant fined the setting anywhere in the bios for it.

I have the same exact problem 😞

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90070-VIII-Hero-Alpha-M2-EVO960-PCIE-not-at-full-speed-loo...

iluv2fly wrote:
I have the same exact problem 😞

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90070-VIII-Hero-Alpha-M2-EVO960-PCIE-not-at-full-speed-loo...

setting AI overclock tuner to auto in the bios seems to have set it back to 3x4. dont know if that helps you out in anyway

Any Reputation is welcome. thanks

JustinThyme
Level 13
Started one in the storage subforum 3 weeks ago

As usual no real difference between Samsung and Native windows drivers.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89545-1TB-960-Pro-Initial-results

I dont think you will have to worry about thermal throttling. I got about 1.3GBps throughput copying 500GB from a single 1TB drive to another single 1TB drive and neither drive went above 50C with zero throttling. Transfer time 6 mins 20 seconds.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:

I dont think you will have to worry about thermal throttling. I got about 1.3GBps throughput copying 500GB from a single 1TB drive to another single 1TB drive and neither drive went above 50C with zero throttling. Transfer time 6 mins 20 seconds.

Yeah, thermal throttling isn't really a huge issue. There's just some edge cases when working with databases, or doing a ton of writes. I'm sure the next model a year from now would be almost impossible to throttle. I'm just going to toss it under since I like how it looks, (also cleans up lines in my loop) but an air heat sink would be more than enough if you're using the machine for development at all. The bench mark I'm curious about is the effect the drive has an Unreal compile times. (Towards the end a bunch of dlls get fixed when compiling)

My EVO 960 numbers.