cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752/GL502/GL702 - Which one is the best? silent in idle w/good display?

alaturka82
Level 7
I want to buy one of the following notebooks, but it's pretty hard to make a choice

The most important thing for me is, that the notebook should be silent in idle and should have a good display.

Models:
- Asus ROG G752VM-GC056T, 17,3 inch FHD matt, Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB VRAM, BluRay
- Asus ROG GL502VS-FY045T, 15,6 inch FHD matt, Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 8GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB VRAM
- Asus ROG GL502VM-FY035T, 15,6 inch FHD matt, Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 8GB, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD, GeForce GTX1060 6GB VRAM
- Asus ROG GL702VM-GC017T, 17,3 inch FHD matt, Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 512GB SSD, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB VRAM

Any advices?
13 REPLIES 13

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well it really sounds like you want a Video performance notebook, these gaming notebooks have good screen and good cooling. So the 15" models and 17" models there is no comparison 15" are so so good for gaming and portable. 17" is good for gaming but a beast to pack around daily. So your intended purpose should answer your question. Some do pack around a 17" models. I wouldn't have anything less than a 17" but I only pack it around once in a while from place to place where it gets set up and stays that way. I haven't even tried the battery on my G752 and seldom used the battery in my G75. Sacrifices are made to put it all in a 15"
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Armesis
Level 10
I recommend you buy another brand. Just look around these threads. ROG laptops can very very unreliable. Many, including me have so many issues that are unsolvable, including non stop screen replacements, non stop popping sounds from the speakers, constant stuttering/lag spikes in all games on the HDD, etc.

I bought the ROG because it was the cheapest option compared to all others. So far, after 5 months of owning my brand new G752VY, the keyboard and screen have been replaced. After 2 months (now), the screen is showing signs of failure again. I recommend building your own desktop pc. ASUS may not be the best at gaming laptops, but their pc desktop chipsets are top notch, ive been using them since the 90s.

Whatever you buy in the future, i wish you the best of luck. No one deserves what im going through.

Digimutant
Level 7
-snipping as post seems to be failing to be read and misinterpreted-

Armesis
Level 10
All my drivers and firmware are updated. Buying and carrying around external speakers because the original ones are always popping? Thats like installing an aftermarket air conditioning system for your car because the integrated ones dont work well. I'll say it again and again, i have been building pc's and have owned laptops since the 90s. This ROG laptop is the most unreliable machine i have ever owned. I spent about $2500 on this laptop, not cheap. If someone comes here asking for an opinion, i will tell them the truth. If more senior forum members keep reading the same thing and get annoyed, that is irrelevant. The advice is for new people who come here.

To be balanced, i will say again that ASUS chipsets for PCs are probably the best, but my constant trips to the service center and nonstop issues with my ROG laptop have made my mind up about their mobile machines.

To OP, again i wish you the best.

alaturka82
Level 7
The notebook will be a desktop replacement and will be not carried around. The best ROG notebook that I ever have had was the G55VW. So quiet and cool in idle and while gaming. I think I will give the G752VM a try.

@ Armesis: What would you recommend?

alaturka82 wrote:
The notebook will be a desktop replacement and will be not carried around. The best ROG notebook that I ever have had was the G55VW. So quiet and cool in idle and while gaming. I think I will give the G752VM a try.

@ Armesis: What would you recommend?

Im sure most of us (well me anyway) bought these ROG laptops because they are by far the cheapest vs all the other competitors. I recommend anything else, trust me, the extra money spent will be worth it. I even went into competing laptop forums to see if they have bad hardware issues like ours are there were none.

Sorry to everyone here, but i cannot in the right conscience recommend these ROG laptops, not after everything i have been through. Even at the ASUS repair center, i had to get in line after 4 people to drop off my laptop. 4 people were dropping off 3 phones, and 1 other laptop. This was in the middle of the week, at about 3-4pm ( I wake up very late).

Again, whatever your purchase, i wish you the best. Just dont try to be cheap like me, i paid the price...

cdma2k
Level 7
For ROG series, G models are the best

Personally I found a great deal on a G752VY DH72 got it for $1579 on Amazon The G752VS oc are newer but not really that much better and seem to have more issues than the VY models. Shop around I watched for this one and saw it go on sale for this price about every 2 weeks and finally decided that was the lowest is was going.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I have the G752VM-RB71with the 17" FHD backlit LED display. It is very quite and the display is excellent. No problems so far with it that didn't come from wonky ASUS driver updates (e.g. - Keyboard Flash Update). My only complaint is with the keyboard. I have a hard time typing on it and the red color is almost impossible for my color blind eyes to see. I pump up the keyboard backlighting ASAP on startup to help and use an external keyboard when I can.