cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero VS Maximus IX Hero

Zion_One-Eyed
Level 8
hi all, i have one maximus viii hero but i want to change..
so, maximus ix hero worth it?
becouse..
i need ROG aura to tuning mb with the new rog 1080ti
then..
ROG stickers inside maximus ix are beautiful ;);)
i like the new matt black q shield
14 REPLIES 14

Kaelon
Level 7
This is a great question. I just purchased an ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, myself, and have been loving this board. Because the Maximus IX Hero is new to the market, it hasn't really been reviewed or vetted. You can typically expect it to become the recommended "top-end" build option within 10+ months or so, judging how the VIII Hero moved into recommended build lines. Structurally, though, I will say that the board is gorgeous and very clearly targets more watercooling enthusiasts and serious overclocking.

Janne-71
Level 7
Not worth changing in my opinion if you have hero viii.

Janne-71 wrote:
Not worth changing in my opinion if you have hero viii.

+1

If your goal is increased performance and/or value, I can't see a rational explanation for updating from a M8H to the M9H. The only meaningful changes seem to be the 2nd M.2 slot on the M9H and the native support for Optane products of which there are none (and the underwhelming performance/capacity is unappealing imo). If your goal is the enjoyment of putting together a new system, then make that fun happen.

Of course, any of these M9 boards would be a great upgrade choice for someone running P67/Z68 or older. The color schemes are pleasant.

ondersma80 wrote:
+1

If your goal is increased performance and/or value, I can't see a rational explanation for updating from a M8H to the M9H. The only meaningful changes seem to be the 2nd M.2 slot on the M9H and the native support for Optane products of which there are none (and the underwhelming performance/capacity is unappealing imo). If your goal is the enjoyment of putting together a new system, then make that fun happen.

Of course, any of these M9 boards would be a great upgrade choice for someone running P67/Z68 or older. The color schemes are pleasant.

I'm curious, will my M8H support Kaby Lake processors in the future? For instance, if I eventually swap out my i7 6700K and want to go for an i7 7700K, or better, will M8H support it, or will I need to look at a new mobo (and probably a new system, at that point)?

Menthol
Level 14
yes it will with a bios update

Menthol wrote:
yes it will with a bios update

So, in other words, the $30 difference between the M8H and the M9H are for the second M.2 slot and Octane support. Nothing else.

Is that right?

Kaelon wrote:
So, in other words, the $30 difference between the M8H and the M9H are for the second M.2 slot and Octane support. Nothing else.

Is that right?

Correct, bragging rights aside.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

RaffieKol
Level 10
Hi
- will the 6700k work on a z270 (I mean it should both are 1151 socket)
- will the z170 users get the same software (Sonic Studio 3 instead of the Sonic Studio 2)
- will the z170 users run the same bios as the z270 users

Thanks

RaffieKol wrote:
Hi
- will the 6700k work on a z270 (I mean it should both are 1151 socket)
- will the z170 users get the same software (Sonic Studio 3 instead of the Sonic Studio 2)
- will the z170 users run the same bios as the z270 users

Thanks

*CPU Intel® Socket 1151 for 7th/6th Generation Core™ i7/Core™ i5/Core™ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors Supports Intel® 14 nm CPU Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0

Taken from Asus website so yes.