cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD slow to support Ryzen platform with quality x370 motherboards. Wholly Intolerable

os2wiz
Level 8
I have read the list of boards that AMD posted for Ryzen from various motherboard maufacturers. Asus has only 1 pitiful B350 board listed not one x370 high end board. Both MSI, Asrock, and Gigabyte all have at least x370 board mostly 2 such boards. This is disgraceful. Asus must not have a commitment to AMD customers and enthusiasts to be so far behind in the curve. The MSI board looks to be equal to any Intel z270 board on the market I have consistently supported Asus with 2 ROG AMD motherboard purchases and one other Asus purchase. I do not know what kind of game they are playing with us now, but they badly miscalculated. Unless I see product listing for x370 Ryzen boards by the end of January I will dump Asus and never purchase from them again. I repeat this is shameful and totally unacceptable.
67 REPLIES 67

OutlawzGR
Level 7
Well sure some x370 crosshair rog board is on the way, many people including me wait for ryzen and a rog motherboard, since most rog fans like me have gpu mouse keyboard mousepad headset monitor, everything asus rog

I am sure asus won't disappoint their fans!!!
We have to wait a little more!!

OutlawzGR wrote:
Well sure some x370 crosshair rog board is on the way, many people including me wait for ryzen and a rog motherboard, since most rog fans like me have gpu mouse keyboard mousepad headset monitor, everything asus rog

I am sure Asus won't disappoint their fans!!!
We have to wait a little more!!

Yes, I am sure they will eventually have a ROG board, but I am not waiting forever. All the other major board makers have announced their models and features. Does Asus have the right to take it's customers for granted? Not if they want to continue to be successful over the long run. I will go with the top of the line Gigabyte x370 board if Asus is late out of the gate on this. They had plenty of time to have developed their x370 boards. Every other vendor has stated their boards will be ready for the late February release of Ryzen. They all had early access to engineering samples from AMD. I do not know if this is arrogance by Asus or some other issue. But it will be their loss if they underestimated the market and their customer base.

xeromist
If it is profitable, it will be done. You are assuming that Ryzen is worth supporting and that it will sell well enough to make developing premium boards worthwhile. Both optimistic assumptions. AMD has a solid history of promising game changing performance products then delivering flawed middling hardware that runs hot and gulps power. I'd love for AMD to make a comeback this generation but its marketing department can no longer be trusted. Until you see independent benchmarks it's not even worth worrying about.

At least it will be on 14nm so Ryzen should theoretically be able to hit good power and thermal targets. That gives me hope.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
If it is profitable, it will be done. You are assuming that Ryzen is worth supporting and that it will sell well enough to make developing premium boards worthwhile. Both optimistic assumptions. AMD has a solid history of promising game changing performance products then delivering flawed middling hardware that runs hot and gulps power. I'd love for AMD to make a comeback this generation but its marketing department can no longer be trusted. Until you see independent benchmarks it's not even worth worrying about.

At least it will be on 14nm so Ryzen should theoretically be able to hit good power and thermal targets. That gives me hope.

"Your assuming Ryzen is worth supporting." That is about the most uneducated and insulting remark that I have heard about Ryzen in the past 2 months. There is no doubt that this will be the most successful series of processors that AMD has produced in 20 years. I am not going to try convince you otherwise, but if you are representing Asus ROG you have got a lot to learn. You should check other tech websites that are highly respected like semiaccurate.com , overclock.net, tomshardware.com, techpowerup.com, canardpc.com before you make a statement that reflects poorly on your knowledge. I know your a moderator, but come on you can do better than this.

os2wiz wrote:
"Your assuming Ryzen is worth supporting." That is about the most uneducated and insulting remark that I have heard about Ryzen in the past 2 months. There is no doubt that this will be the most successful series of processors that AMD has produced in 20 years. I am not going to try convince you otherwise, but if you are representing Asus ROG you have got a lot to learn. You should check other tech websites that are highly respected like semiaccurate.com , overclock.net, tomshardware.com, techpowerup.com, canardpc.com before you make a statement that reflects poorly on your knowledge. I know your a moderator, but come on you can do better than this.

Yes I'm aware of the coverage. A venerable designer and a leap in process size are indeed promising changes. But at this point all we have are staged demonstrations and AMD's word with regard to performance. There has been no independent verification. So yes, the specs and the information released thus far bring hope but AMD has a very unfortunate habit of exaggerating to hype up fans and then releasing hardware that doesn't match expectations.

I would love to see stiff competition and take no joy in AMD's recent slump. I used to be a big fan and had multiple AMD products but after years of marketing lies I can't trust AMD and have to wait for independent testing. Given that ASUS has already seen engineering samples and chosen not to produce a premium board, it's a potential red flag. Perhaps ASUS is making a mistake or maybe it knows something we don't.

Even if it performs as well as AMD says there's still the possibility of an unknown architecture flaw, yield issues, or buyer apathy making board sales sluggish. Also, Intel's latest generation isn't really compelling vs its own 5 year old chips so even if Ryzen wins on all fronts it might take a killer app/game to really drive upgrades.

Or, perhaps ASUS is actually working on a premium board but it won't be ready for launch. ASUS has a habit of doing custom work on premium products and that takes longer. To clarify, I don't have any insider knowledge so I'm just speculating here.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Yes I'm aware of the coverage. A venerable designer and a leap in process size are indeed promising changes. But at this point all we have are staged demonstrations and AMD's word with regard to performance. There has been no independent verification. So yes, the specs and the information released thus far bring hope but AMD has a very unfortunate habit of exaggerating to hype up fans and then releasing hardware that doesn't match expectations.

I would love to see stiff competition and take no joy in AMD's recent slump. I used to be a big fan and had multiple AMD products but after years of marketing lies I can't trust AMD and have to wait for independent testing. Given that ASUS has already seen engineering samples and chosen not to produce a premium board, it's a potential red flag. Perhaps ASUS is making a mistake or maybe it knows something we don't.

Even if it performs as well as AMD says there's still the possibility of an unknown architecture flaw, yield issues, or buyer apathy making board sales sluggish. Also, Intel's latest generation isn't really compelling vs its own 5 year old chips so even if Ryzen wins on all fronts it might take a killer app/game to really drive upgrades.

Or, perhaps ASUS is actually working on a premium board but it won't be ready for launch. ASUS has a habit of doing custom work on premium products and that takes longer. To clarify, I don't have any insider knowledge so I'm just speculating here.

Canard PC is a venerated tech publisher. They released exhaustive tests 3 weeks ago on an older engineering sample clocked at 3.15 GHZ. Of course we know the f4 stepping of Ryzen 8 core is clocked at 3.6 GHZ with 4.0 GHZ turbo frequency. Even at the slower clock speed it was competitive with I7 6900k. At the higher speed it will be faster than the Intel chip in almost all tasks. Now the Sabertooth line of Asus is not as customized as ROG but is perhaps an even better overclocker. No new from Asus on that board as well. Ryzen is being launched and I mean a hard launch no later than February 27, possibly the 24th. Some say it could be later but not likely since it has to occur before AMD's presentation on Ryzen optimization . Monday the 27th is the first day of Game Developers Conference. AMD had inadvertently leaked Ryzen's release date in their announcement of participation in GDC. So that is only 6 weeks away. Asus should not be holding back on announcments about Ryzen motherboard support at this stage they should be jumping on the bandwagon. Your loss will be Gigabyte's and MSI's gain.

os2wiz wrote:
...Your loss will be Gigabyte's and MSI's gain.

EVGA is doing alright relegated to selling nothing but Intel and Nvidia products of their own accord. No plans to support Ryzen or Vega. ASUS will endure even IF AMD manages to snag a good piece of the market. Their current 25% is atrocious.

Come on, AMD. Lets force some price drops, here.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
EVGA is doing alright relegated to selling nothing but Intel and Nvidia products of their own accord. No plans to support Ryzen or Vega. ASUS will endure even IF AMD manages to snag a good piece of the market. Their current 25% is atrocious.

Come on, AMD. Lets force some price drops, here.

So it is obvious you are not interested in Ryzen by your own words, only in forcing Intel to drop its price so you can snag an Intel cpu cheaper. So why are you on an AMD ROG support thread? Otherwise you would have joined in criticizing Asus for its tepid support so far for Ryzen enthuisast motherboards with the x370 chipset.

os2wiz wrote:
So it is obvious you are not interested in Ryzen by your own words, only in forcing Intel to drop its price so you can snag an Intel cpu cheaper. So why are you on an AMD ROG support thread? Otherwise you would have joined in criticizing Asus for its tepid support so far for Ryzen enthuisast motherboards with the x370 chipset.

I am in fact not interested in Ryzen. I recently built a new system around a Skylake platform and don't have the money for an entirely new system. AMD, Intel or otherwise.

I am interested in price drops at Intel. But at the same time I am interested in a resurgence at AMD. Competition is good for the average consumer and if...IF AMD can provide a viable competitor I would consider their products to Intel's in the future.

I owned AMD CPU's before. Matter of fact I owned only two Intel chips (Sandy Bridge and now Skylake), and I bought an Ivy Bridge for my parents whereas I owned 3 from AMD, personally (one was an Athlon 64, not sure about the other two as they were before my self-build renaissance). But lets face facts. AMD could not, and did not keep up with Intel hence their abysmal 15%-30% market share in CPU and GPU outputs, respectively. And that's why I'm here supporting AMD, hoping they can regain market share, become a tenacious competitor once more and help drive technology further and faster than Intel is willing on their own.

My comment wasn't a slight towards AMD. It was a slight towards Intel. I recently purchased from Intel because they offered the best product at a price which I could still afford. If Ryzen was on the market and beating the piss out of Skylake/Kaby Lake you better believe I'd have considered AMD if they offered a product competitive in performance and pricing, but it wasn't. Hence why Intel is offering an i7-6950X at the same price I recently built my entire system. Laughable prices aimed at a niche market, I know, but if there was rigid competition that chip would be worth much less than that.

As for ASUS, all I meant was that at this point, Ryzen being unproven as a mainstream product, ASUS might be weary developing support for AMD's offerings given AMD's tendencies to deliver nothing more than false hopes. So far we have nothing but hype. Once outside testers get their hands on the chip and establish how it truly performs ASUS will reconsider or speed up development. If not, why are you so concerned? Other vendors will provide you with an appealing surrogate, I'm sure.

So I'll be be more thorough in my concluding statement, this time. Come on, AMD. Lets force some price drops. And give us a good alternative in both CPU and GPU ranges.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.