cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade the CPU or GPU in my ROG Notebook? *** List of supported models ***

Dreamonic
Level 12
Can you upgrade the CPU and GPU in your ROG Notebook? That's a good question and one that will be answered below. You will also find which models can be upgraded and what their max supported upgrade will be for both CPU/GPU. Please note that options for the GPU "Experimental" upgrades have been proven to work using certain models only. It's highly recommended that you have access to another PC and have an SPI programmer on hand in the event you brick your system when attempting to perform this kind of GPU upgrade. First, let's answer some of the most frequently asked questions throughout the ROG forum regarding notebook CPU/GPU upgrades.

I'd like more performance but I want to keep my current notebook. What's the best available upgrade for my CPU and GPU?
This completely depends on the model of your notebook and its supported HW like a CPU socket (if available) and MXM slot (if available).

What do I need to know prior to upgrading the CPU/GPU?
That it requires proper tools and a full notebook disassembly in order to replace either one. This means removing many screws, flex cables and various connectors to get access to the motherboard to do so; It would also be best to apply new thermal compound as the disassembly is rather time consuming with ROG Notebooks in comparison to other manufacturer notebooks.

Is the CPU/GPU upgrade just a drop-in replacement or does it involve modifications?
This is where a lot of the confusion comes from as the options available
depend if your model of notebook has a user upgradeable CPU/GPU. You can easily upgrade the CPU/GPU within the same series so as long as they are upgradeable models. In the event where you have the highest model already but want to try the "Experimental" option for upgrading the GPU, then it will involve system BIOS/VBIOS modification, chassis modification and heatsink assembly modification to make it work. However, there is no guarantee that it will always work either, and some models this kind of upgrade is diving into unknown territory too. Using notebook models that do not have a user upgradeable CPU/GPU, may be able to benefit from using an eGPU setup instead. This is what everything is based on unfortunately, cost! Do you attempt upgrading CPU/GPU (if available), replacing stock with stock again (if existing HW is faulty), or do you upgrade to a newer model of notebook altogether? These are the kinds of questions you'll need to answer yourself.

[/HR]

Clarksfield - G73SW, G73JW, G73JH, G53JW

[CPU] rPGA 988A (Socket G1) - MAX CPU UPGRADE: i7-940XM
[!] SUPPORTED: i7-920XM, i7-840QM, i7-820QM, i7-740QM, i7-720QM
[GPU] Proprietary MXM PCB - MAX GPU UPGRADE: Experimental as it requires chassis/heatsink assembly and BIOS/VBIOS modifications (SPI programmer recommended).
[+] 5870M to 770M GPU UPGRADE SUCCESSFUL: HERE
[!] NOT SUPPORTED: G-SYNC Maxwell or Pascal MXM GPUs.

Sandy Bridge - G74SX
[CPU] rPGA 988B (Socket G2) - MAX CPU UPGRADE: i7-2960XM
[!] SUPPORTED: i7-2920XM, i7-2860QM, i7-2820QM, i7-2760QM, i7-2720QM, i7-2710QE, i7-2670QM, i7-2630QM
[!] XM CPU MODELS: Runs at base clock speed instead of Turbo Boost speed.
[GPU] BGA Package (Soldered) - MAX GPU UPGRADE: NONE AVAILABLE
[+] eGPU SETUP SUCCESSFUL: HERE

Sandy Bridge - G53SX, G53SW
[CPU] rPGA 988B (Socket G2) - MAX CPU UPGRADE: i7-2960XM
[!] SUPPORTED: i7-2920XM, i7-2860QM, i7-2820QM, i7-2760QM, i7-2720QM, i7-2710QE, i7-2670QM, i7-2630QM
[!] XM CPU MODELS: Runs at base clock speed instead of Turbo Boost speed.
[GPU] Proprietary MXM PCB - MAX GPU UPGRADE: Experimental as it requires chassis/heatsink assembly and BIOS/VBIOS modifications (SPI programmer recommended).
[+] 460M to 560M GPU UPGRADE SUCCESSFUL: HERE

Ivy Bridge - G55VW, G46VW
[CPU] rPGA 988B (Socket G2) - MAX CPU UPGRADE: i7-3940XM
[!] SUPPORTED: i7-3920XM, i7-3840XM, i7-3820XM, i7-3740QM, i7-3720QM, I7-3630QM, i7-3610QM
[GPU] BGA Package (Soldered) - MAX GPU UPGRADE: NONE AVAILABLE
[!] eGPU SETUP POSSIBLE

Ivy Bridge - G75VX, G75VW
[CPU] rPGA 988B (Socket G2) - MAX CPU UPGRADE: i7-3940XM
[!] SUPPORTED: i7-3920XM, i7-3840XM, i7-3820XM, i7-3740QM, i7-3720QM, I7-3630QM, i7-3610QM
[+] eGPU SETUP SUCCESSFUL: HERE
[+] 660M to 780M GPU UPGRADE SEMI-SUCCESSFUL: HERE
[+] 660M/670M to 670MX GPU UPGRADE SUCCESSFUL: HERE

Haswell - G750JZ, G750JH, G750JS, G750JX, G750JM, G750JW

[CPU] BGA Package (Soldered) - MAX CPU UPGRADE: NONE AVAILABLE
[!] OPTIMUS MODELS: Can only upgrade to other Optimus model GPUs as a system BIOS flash of the supported model is required as well.
[!] eGPU SETUP POSSIBLE

Haswell - G751JY, G751JT, G751JL, GL771JW, G551JW, G501JW
[CPU/GPU] BGA Package (Soldered) - MAX CPU/GPU UPGRADE: NONE AVAILABLE
[!] eGPU SETUP POSSIBLE

Skylake - G701VI, G752VS, GL702VT, GL702VM, GL502VM, G752VY, G752VT, G752VL, GL752VW, GL552VW, GL552JX, G501VW
[CPU/GPU] BGA Package (Soldered) - MAX CPU/GPU UPGRADE: NONE AVAILABLE
[!] eGPU SETUP POSSIBLE
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
Thanks for fabbing up this list. Our list of stickies is quite long at this point. I'll forward it to the admin to decide how to file it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Dreamonic
Level 12
Absolutely! Thanks xeromist.

LilBosmah
Level 7
Hey all,

I've been trying to perform the G75VW 660m to 670mx swap, and I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how I would go about installing the GPU considering Voltground is no more. Any information would be amazing.

Thank you.

Nice article
Great Work

hrmchan
Level 7
Dreamonic wrote:
Can you upgrade the CPU and GPU in your ROG Notebook? That's a good question and one that will be answered below. You will also find which models can be upgraded and what their max supported upgrade will be for both CPU/GPU. Please note that options for the GPU "Experimental" upgrades have been proven to work using certain models only. It's highly recommended that you have access to another PC and have an SPI programmer on hand in the event you brick your system when attempting to perform this kind of GPU upgrade. First, let's answer some of the most frequently asked questions throughout the ROG forum regarding notebook CPU/GPU upgrades.

I'd like more performance but I want to keep my current notebook. What's the best available upgrade for my CPU and GPU?
This completely depends on the model of your notebook and its supported HW like a CPU socket (if available) and MXM slot (if available).

That it requires proper tools and a full notebook disassembly in order to replace either one. This means removing many screws, flex cables and various connectors to get access to the motherboard to do so; It would also be best to apply new thermal compound as the disassembly is rather time consuming with ROG Notebooks in comparison to other manufacturer notebooks.

Is the CPU/GPU upgrade just a drop-in replacement or does it involve modifications?
depend if your model of notebook has a user upgradeable CPU/GPU. You can easily upgrade the CPU/GPU within the same series so as long as they are upgradeable models. In the event where you have the highest model already but want to try the "Experimental" option for upgrading the GPU, then it will involve system BIOS/VBIOS modification, chassis modification and heatsink assembly modification to make it work. However, there is no guarantee that it will always work either, and some models this kind of upgrade is diving into unknown territory too. Using notebook models that do not have a user upgradeable CPU/GPU, may be able to benefit from using an eGPU setup instead. This is what everything is based on unfortunately, cost! Do you attempt upgrading CPU/GPU (if available), replacing stock with stock again (if existing HW is faulty), or do you upgrade to a newer model of notebook altogether? These are the kinds of questions you'll need to answer yourself.

[/HR]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have a G73SW XA1 and its CPU Speed is currently operating at 0.79Gz verified by Task Manager. Should be running at 2gz. What's going ON?

Can I replace my CPU i7-2630
Asus G73SW-XA1: upgraded OCZ 60G SATA6 SDD + 16G so-dimm (movie machine and gamer)
Asus eePC 1000H: upgraded 2G so-dimm (greatest business hunk of junk I have, 500K airline miles and still ticking)
AMD Phenom 940, 8G RAM, 2X500G 7200rpm 16mb, Swiftec Modded Waterblock w/320w Peltier

hrmchan wrote:
Dreamonic wrote:

[/HR]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have a G73SW XA1 and its CPU Speed is currently operating at 0.79Gz verified by Task Manager. Should be running at 2gz. What's going ON?

Can I replace my CPU i7-2630

Sounds like your CPU is throttling what temp is it running at when you record this very low CPU speed? otherwise, all you have to go on is Dreamoncic Post. Dreamonic has closed his own website and has not been seen in this forum in over a year now.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

can i upgrade my CPU on a rog G752VS from an i7 6700HQ cpu to another bether then this?

Gabrielos1070 wrote:
can i upgrade my CPU on a rog G752VS from an i7 6700HQ cpu to another bether then this?

NO CPU and GPU are soldered on to your motherboard.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

as a customer, we can't simply upgrade the CPU or gpu from our side.
We need special toools to reembededd CPU on motherboard.
Also we need support bios Microcode to detect all hardware
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754