Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    14

    Question Asus G751JY getting hot under numpad

    Hi all,

    I first noticed this today when on my couch laying down watching a movie with my laptop on my lap. I happened to feel around the numpad area and under the 0,2,3, "." is the hottest area on the numpad. The vent on the bottom center of the laptop is open to air as it rests right where my legs are open and the opposite side of the laptop on the left is not hot in the same spot under the numpad on right.

    What do you guys think this could be? Should I even be worried or is it completely normal?
    "I've always thought to myself, at what point did I come into consciousness? When did I start the act of "remembering?" Am I even really alive? Is death real in the sense that I cease to exist?"

    I also love PC gaming and learning about graphics technologies.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Reputation
    23
    Posts
    150

    In my experience and what ive read on other forums, it seems to be normal. Even under stress tests my laptop (G752VY) temperature run very fine, the cooling on these ROG's are pretty good, and very quiet. It doesnt bother me at all since my hand is almost never in that hot zone. Its normal, in my opinion.

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    59

    The hard drive is located there. You can check the hdd temp with any utility like Crystal Disk Info

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Julskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    30
    Posts
    388

    I think the audio chip is getting hot there. This is also discussed in one G752 thread.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by Vastus9001 View Post
    Hi all,

    I first noticed this today when on my couch laying down watching a movie with my laptop on my lap. I happened to feel around the numpad area and under the 0,2,3, "." is the hottest area on the numpad. The vent on the bottom center of the laptop is open to air as it rests right where my legs are open and the opposite side of the laptop on the left is not hot in the same spot under the numpad on right.

    What do you guys think this could be? Should I even be worried or is it completely normal?
    I had the same problem. AIDA showed PCH temperature of 64 - 73. But when I started to listen to music, the PCH temperature grow to 80-85, and hot in the same spot under the numpad on right. But I updated the sound drivers Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs Version R2.80 and the problem was gone.

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    59

    Quote Originally Posted by Pribozhek View Post
    I had the same problem. AIDA showed PCH temperature of 64 - 73. But when I started to listen to music, the PCH temperature grow to 80-85, and hot in the same spot under the numpad on right. But I updated the sound drivers Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs Version R2.80 and the problem was gone.
    This is interesting. AIDA64 is saying 58 degrees on the PCH ( other software like SIV64 is showing a much lower temp ).
    Where did you get your Realtek driver from ? I have 6.01 , but I got it directly from the Realtek site, maybe not such a good move

  7. #7
    Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    144
    Posts
    3,858

    The hard drive is under the palm rest. This area has been reported before as stated with the "hot audio jack" anomaly. Not all of them do it. Feel the headphone jack. Search the forum. I can't recall exactly what it was but someone posted a work around that seemed to help.*

    Another bit of advice, they classify these machines as notebooks. While folks often are accustomed *to sitting them on their laps it's not recommended. It's more of a desktop replacement. Power means heat. If it's throttled down with little load there generally isn't an issue like surfing the web, word docs etc. load it up and it needs to be on a solid surface. Just food for thought to better enjoy your machine.*

    The G751JY is among the hottest running machines in the G series. They cooled down considerably with the introduction of the G752VY. *

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by BogdanCiulei View Post
    This is interesting. AIDA64 is saying 58 degrees on the PCH ( other software like SIV64 is showing a much lower temp ).
    Where did you get your Realtek driver from ? I have 6.01 , but I got it directly from the Realtek site, maybe not such a good move
    I downloaded the driver from the Realtek website http://www.realtek.com.tw. Version - R2.81, Update Time - 2017/1/13. This information from the Realtek website. After install version 6.0.1.8004.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	61840
    Now PCH temperature jumps between 60 (in the normal state), and 74 when I watch a movie, listen to music or play (wherever there is sound). This is much better than it was before - 80 - 90.
    I also noticed that now the temperature sometimes when watching a movie or music may drop to normal values 60-63. I do not know why.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    14

    Thank you all for your replies

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    The hard drive is under the palm rest. This area has been reported before as stated with the "hot audio jack" anomaly. Not all of them do it. Feel the headphone jack. Search the forum. I can't recall exactly what it was but someone posted a work around that seemed to help.*

    Another bit of advice, they classify these machines as notebooks. While folks often are accustomed *to sitting them on their laps it's not recommended. It's more of a desktop replacement. Power means heat. If it's throttled down with little load there generally isn't an issue like surfing the web, word docs etc. load it up and it needs to be on a solid surface. Just food for thought to better enjoy your machine.*

    The G751JY is among the hottest running machines in the G series. They cooled down considerably with the introduction of the G752VY. *


    The best part is coming from an Asus GL502VT (notoriously hot machine.) That thing was something that you can fry an egg on. Definitely seems like a normal thing then. It just seemed a bit too hot in my opinion for only watching a movie. I love this laptop though. The performance has been amazing and I'm just now delving into trying to figure out ways to properly fine tune this 4720 i7 in here to get slightly lower CPU temps.

    I may end up repasting the CPU after watching some videos on the keyboard removal part of this laptop as that seems to be the most painstaking process. Luckily I have the iFixit Pro tech toolkit and I have a nice iSesamo from when I worked at repairing phones and tablets. I'm wondering if that'll help me get the keyboard part as that seemed to be the part that has the most to potentially going wrong. (For me.)

    Thank you all for your replies! Love the community!
    "I've always thought to myself, at what point did I come into consciousness? When did I start the act of "remembering?" Am I even really alive? Is death real in the sense that I cease to exist?"

    I also love PC gaming and learning about graphics technologies.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •