cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G751JY getting hot under numpad

Vastus9001
Level 7
Hi all,

I first noticed this today when on my couch laying down watching a movie with my laptop on my lap. I happened to feel around the numpad area and under the 0,2,3, "." is the hottest area on the numpad. The vent on the bottom center of the laptop is open to air as it rests right where my legs are open and the opposite side of the laptop on the left is not hot in the same spot under the numpad on right.

What do you guys think this could be? Should I even be worried or is it completely normal?
"I've always thought to myself, at what point did I come into consciousness? When did I start the act of "remembering?" Am I even really alive? Is death real in the sense that I cease to exist?"

I also love PC gaming and learning about graphics technologies.
8 REPLIES 8

Armesis
Level 10
In my experience and what ive read on other forums, it seems to be normal. Even under stress tests my laptop (G752VY) temperature run very fine, the cooling on these ROG's are pretty good, and very quiet. It doesnt bother me at all since my hand is almost never in that hot zone. Its normal, in my opinion.

BogdanCiulei
Level 8
The hard drive is located there. You can check the hdd temp with any utility like Crystal Disk Info

Julskey
Level 10
I think the audio chip is getting hot there. This is also discussed in one G752 thread.

Pribozhek
Level 7
Vastus9001 wrote:
Hi all,

I first noticed this today when on my couch laying down watching a movie with my laptop on my lap. I happened to feel around the numpad area and under the 0,2,3, "." is the hottest area on the numpad. The vent on the bottom center of the laptop is open to air as it rests right where my legs are open and the opposite side of the laptop on the left is not hot in the same spot under the numpad on right.

What do you guys think this could be? Should I even be worried or is it completely normal?

I had the same problem. AIDA showed PCH temperature of 64 - 73. But when I started to listen to music, the PCH temperature grow to 80-85, and hot in the same spot under the numpad on right. But I updated the sound drivers Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs Version R2.80 and the problem was gone.

Pribozhek wrote:
I had the same problem. AIDA showed PCH temperature of 64 - 73. But when I started to listen to music, the PCH temperature grow to 80-85, and hot in the same spot under the numpad on right. But I updated the sound drivers Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs Version R2.80 and the problem was gone.

This is interesting. AIDA64 is saying 58 degrees on the PCH ( other software like SIV64 is showing a much lower temp ).
Where did you get your Realtek driver from ? I have 6.01 , but I got it directly from the Realtek site, maybe not such a good move

BogdanCiulei wrote:
This is interesting. AIDA64 is saying 58 degrees on the PCH ( other software like SIV64 is showing a much lower temp ).
Where did you get your Realtek driver from ? I have 6.01 , but I got it directly from the Realtek site, maybe not such a good move

I downloaded the driver from the Realtek website http://www.realtek.com.tw. Version - R2.81, Update Time - 2017/1/13. This information from the Realtek website. After install version 6.0.1.8004.
Now PCH temperature jumps between 60 (in the normal state), and 74 when I watch a movie, listen to music or play (wherever there is sound). This is much better than it was before - 80 - 90.
I also noticed that now the temperature sometimes when watching a movie or music may drop to normal values 60-63. I do not know why.

JustinThyme
Level 13
The hard drive is under the palm rest. This area has been reported before as stated with the "hot audio jack" anomaly. Not all of them do it. Feel the headphone jack. Search the forum. I can't recall exactly what it was but someone posted a work around that seemed to help.*

Another bit of advice, they classify these machines as notebooks. While folks often are accustomed *to sitting them on their laps it's not recommended. It's more of a desktop replacement. Power means heat. If it's throttled down with little load there generally isn't an issue like surfing the web, word docs etc. load it up and it needs to be on a solid surface. Just food for thought to better enjoy your machine.*

The G751JY is among the hottest running machines in the G series. They cooled down considerably with the introduction of the G752VY. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
The hard drive is under the palm rest. This area has been reported before as stated with the "hot audio jack" anomaly. Not all of them do it. Feel the headphone jack. Search the forum. I can't recall exactly what it was but someone posted a work around that seemed to help.*

Another bit of advice, they classify these machines as notebooks. While folks often are accustomed *to sitting them on their laps it's not recommended. It's more of a desktop replacement. Power means heat. If it's throttled down with little load there generally isn't an issue like surfing the web, word docs etc. load it up and it needs to be on a solid surface. Just food for thought to better enjoy your machine.*

The G751JY is among the hottest running machines in the G series. They cooled down considerably with the introduction of the G752VY. *

The best part is coming from an Asus GL502VT (notoriously hot machine.) That thing was something that you can fry an egg on. Definitely seems like a normal thing then. It just seemed a bit too hot in my opinion for only watching a movie. I love this laptop though. The performance has been amazing and I'm just now delving into trying to figure out ways to properly fine tune this 4720 i7 in here to get slightly lower CPU temps.

I may end up repasting the CPU after watching some videos on the keyboard removal part of this laptop as that seems to be the most painstaking process. Luckily I have the iFixit Pro tech toolkit and I have a nice iSesamo from when I worked at repairing phones and tablets. I'm wondering if that'll help me get the keyboard part as that seemed to be the part that has the most to potentially going wrong. (For me.)

Thank you all for your replies! Love the community!:)
"I've always thought to myself, at what point did I come into consciousness? When did I start the act of "remembering?" Am I even really alive? Is death real in the sense that I cease to exist?"

I also love PC gaming and learning about graphics technologies.