cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dishonered 2 not playble on asus pg 279q

mentalist2312
Level 7
hello
first my specs- gtx 1080, i7 6700k- 16gb, and a asus pg279q 165 hz monitor.
my fps are between 80-120 fps but mostly under 100 fps. my problem is that whenever game goes below 100 fps game is not playble on this monitor game feels and looks very very choppy.not sure what to do.would be glad to hear from an asus pg279q owner that knows how i could try to fix this problem.this does not only happen on dishonered 2 but every fps games that goes below 100 fps.
7 REPLIES 7

Janne-71
Level 7
mentalist2312 wrote:
hello
first my specs- gtx 1080, i7 6700k- 16gb, and a asus pg279q 165 hz monitor.
my fps are between 80-120 fps but mostly under 100 fps. my problem is that whenever game goes below 100 fps game is not playble on this monitor game feels and looks very very choppy.not sure what to do.would be glad to hear from an asus pg279q owner that knows how i could try to fix this problem.this does not only happen on dishonered 2 but every fps games that goes below 100 fps.

It's quite usual to have fps drops under 100...i don't have that problem myself i play dishonered 2 with pg279q and no choppiness at all (fps varies 70-120fps). Not sure if it is really monitor related with you. Are you using gsync?

mentalist2312
Level 7
yes i am using gsync.
this is not new to me. i also have this problem with titanfall 2 whenever fps goes under 100 fps mouse movement becomes very choppy.pretty clueless right now.

Volt
Level 9
That game unfortunately came out very buggy when it was released for PC. That game has complicated video settings, that makes it kind of a hassle to get it looking right. I really want to enjoy this game. And for the most part I have. But I still seem to have a few issues with frame tearing. That I don't have with other games I play. It's as if the GSync isn't working correctly for this title.

Try setting your desktop refresh rate to 100Hz. I know, this doesn't matter for other games. But it might for this buggy one. I spent some time just now messing around with it, I'm at Mission 2. I got the bug where the game slides to the right constantly. Had to restart now it works. I also got a lot of lag, slow choppy play, the first 10 seconds of loading from a saved game. That did make the game briefly unplayable. The game is obviously doing something wrong during that. But it resolved it self.

If your g-sync woks normally for other games, but not for this, then at least you know your end of things is wokring. And it's the games fault. Try contacting their technical support for help. I imagine this will get fixed eventually in some future patch.

Crashcourse316
Level 9
mentalist2312 wrote:
yes i am using gsync.
this is not new to me. i also have this problem with titanfall 2 whenever fps goes under 100 fps mouse movement becomes very choppy.pretty clueless right now.

for my suggestions I would say Verify all your Nvidia control panel settings for correct and verify your v-sync is off in game. Make sure G-sync is set to run in both fullscreen and windowed mode. turn on the monitors frame rate OSD and turn on an in-game Frame rate OSD so you can make sure G-sync is working properly. The frames rates between the two should be updating and matching. If there are still issues you may have to try messing with the Configuration file for the game settings.

Found this forum you can read through and see if you find an answer. https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/5cgaw3/dishonored_2_is_playable_for_me_right_now_here_i...

The biggest thing out of this is that you try the steps in order and check to see your games performance after each step is completed. This will allow you to figure out the actual issue vs just doing them all at one time and not knowing which one fixed your issue. Below arethe stepps that were pulled from the forum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First: In NVIDIA Control Panel and set the "Max Pre-Rendered Frames = 1"

Second: Go into NVIDIA Inspector(probably just google how to run this). Open up the Profile for Dishonored 2. Since the game doesn't have an FPS Cap built in - go to FRAME RATE LIMITER and set this to 61.8 (Apperently this is supposed to fix a lot of stuttering in the game, But it ruins the point of more than 60fps And I personally would skip this step and try the other steps first.)

Third: (in Nvidia inspector again..google it) scroll down and find ENABLE ANSEL and set this to ANSEL_ENABLE_OFF.

Fourth: download Process Lasso or Process Hacker 2 - either or. The game for most is set to LOW Priority for your CPU. With these programs, you can lock it to HIGH. This is netting anywhere from 10-30FPS gains for people. For myself, the game is running on Normal and setting to High actually made it worse personally.

Fifth: Head on over to C:\Users\NAME\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Dishonored2\Base\Dishonored2Config.cfg - Now I want you go head to g_mouseSmooth "1" - set the "1" to "0". This will ACTUALLY turn off Mouse Smoothing in the game. Whether it's set to 0 or not in the game options, doesn't matter unfortunately. Afterwards - right click on that .CFG File after it's saved - go to PROPERTIES and then set to READ-ONLY. Otherwise the game will overwrite the setting.

Alright, so now the rest is done within the game.
This is where it's odd. So, for you high refresh rate people - we currently (with NVIDIA Inspector) have capped our in game to 60FPS. Keep note, load times will now be longer - as the loading screens are tied to the FPS.

Sixth: Now I want you to enable V-Sync. No, you do not have to set your desktop refresh rate to 60Hz to match - we can leave that be - as long as the game is internally capped at 60Hz. By enabling V-Sync we will eliminate some of the stutter, now that it is capped at that point. The really really REALLY weird part is that if I keep my G-Sync on, all of the stutter goes away. That's WITH V-Sync turned on. Without G-Sync and V-Sync enabled, I still have stutter. Which you would think would be logical because of G-Sync. But the G-Sync doesn't work without V-Sync enabled. Plus V-Sync doesn't work without G-Sync enabled. So whatever.. beyond my realm of reality there LOL.

Final: Set your in game to lower settings. I know, very Pete Hines of me to say. But we really need to help the game out as much as we can, even if it's marginal. Realistically the game hardly looks different from Low to Ultra anyways. Personally, I set my settings to Very High - and then turned down Shadows/Water Detail to High - and then used FXAA High versus TXAA. Odd part is the Anti-Aliasing with FXAA High now looks better than it did previously. Less jaggies. Not sure what changed.. but yeah.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
Final: Set your in game to lower settings. I know, very Pete Hines of me to say.

Hahaha. He's a character. I like Pete. And thanks for the detailed steps with getting D2 working. I'll have to try that out myself.

Another thing I noticed in D2's video settings, I think under advanced, is by the V-Sync section there seems to be a 4th choice for G-Sync. At least by looking at the explantion of my choices on the right hand side of the screen. Yet, I'm only ever able to see 3.*¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Volt
Level 9
know, very Pete Hines of me to say."

Janne-71
Level 7
Dishonered 2 was in bad shape when it was published but after 3 updates it's fixed in my oppinion. Atleast my hardware has no issues with on ultra settings. But if OP has same problem with titanfall 2 and other games i doubt it's alone the game that causing it...tf2 should be quite well optimized atleast 1080 should have no problems.