cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

850 EVO 1tb Upgrade and OS clone Successful BUT?

masterschwag
Level 7
Ok so I managed to install an extra 1tb SSD along side my 2tb HDD it came with and successfully cloned my HDD to my SSD and disabled the HDD and it managed to boot in 3 seconds with the new SSD. BUT now I have the old 2tb HDD basically an old clone doing nothing... Can I wipe it now that I know the SSD will work with the HDD disabled?
3 REPLIES 3

chilinmichael
Level 10
Sounds like you are good to go. Just make sure the proper drives are showing up in device manager (Your SSD is showing/HDD is not). Also make sure, like with any clone, any important documents are intact and accessible before wiping the old drive. I always tell people to try out everything you can beforehand.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael wrote:
Sounds like you are good to go. Just make sure the proper drives are showing up in device manager (Your SSD is showing/HDD is not). Also make sure, like with any clone, any important documents are intact and accessible before wiping the old drive. I always tell people to try out everything you can beforehand.

Yes sir since the SSD booted while the HDD was disabled in BIOS I was able to change boot order properly thru bios, and then boot from SSD, and then re-enable back thru bios. After booting I was able to get the original HDD back to factory settings.. [PROBLEM SOLVED]

JustinThyme
Level 13
For future reference once you boot from the cloned drive just check disk manager to make sure it has a boot partition. If so you can simply run a command prompt diskpart session and issue a clean command to the now unused disk which clears the partition table and puts the disk back to unitialized. If you dont have the boot partition there and mess up and delete the old disk you can still recover with a USB UEFI windows install USB by manually making the boot partition with the BCD command.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein