cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this 4k stable?

Veovis
Level 10
So I made some minor improvements to my current build, upgraded from the MARS 760 to a STRIX 1080 A8G. But it got me wondering,
I can game in 4k, but can I watch content from amazon, netflix and others in 4k, or will i need to ugrade the processor (4770k) to kabylake for that codec?

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if theres a scam/any credibility to hdmi 2.0 cables as well.
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi veovis !

Wow I bet you can play Doom at the highest settings now, what a nice upgrade.

If you're using hdmi you'll want an hdmi 2.0 cable for 4k at 60Hz, you should be able to view or play anything in 4k as long as it's supported.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ultra-Hand-Tested-Supports-91-02X-06B/dp/B0019HL8Q8/ref=sr_1_5?s=...

Menthol
Level 14
Not yet you can't, Netflix is going to support Kabylake but I believe you would have to view from the iGPU not Nvidia and hdmi 2.0 cable, 4K TV, as no monitors are compliant that I know of, hopefully some day soon

Veovis
Level 10
I'm currently using display port, forgot to add that information. (Mad Max explosions look amazing!)

I haven't figured a way to test 4K video reliably yet save for a quick youtube search on it (and it says it's streaming at 2160p) and it certainly looks less blurry than 1080 but I can't tell if it's 1440 or 2160 (Darn my eyes!)

I have amazon prime, so I'll give it a test to see if PRIME VIDEO's 4k content can be streamed via desktop. I'll keep you posted if it works.

Veovis wrote:
I'm currently using display port, forgot to add that information. (Mad Max explosions look amazing!)

I haven't figured a way to test 4K video reliably yet save for a quick youtube search on it (and it says it's streaming at 2160p) and it certainly looks less blurry than 1080 but I can't tell if it's 1440 or 2160 (Darn my eyes!)

I have amazon prime, so I'll give it a test to see if PRIME VIDEO's 4k content can be streamed via desktop. I'll keep you posted if it works.

Update: It doesn't. HVEC appears to be a hardware security thing so far. So no idea if I can trick amazon into thinking my 4770k is "4k ready" Looks like it's HD "540 upscale" for me in the meantime.

kkn
Level 14
you can try this for 4K test.
https://4ksamples.com/

kkn
Level 14
you can use VLC to test/run HVEC files.
if its not instaled in default instal google how to add it if so.