Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Z270 buyers guide Q/A thread

Raja
Level 13
21 REPLIES 21

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Right....going for a formula myself. It looks FANTASTIC...and comes ready for fitting the water-cooling yourself. The Extreme doesn't look quite as smart to me and I want to fit my own stuff...though I will have to see if it OCs better when the word is on the street...

Going from HEDT to Mainstream for first time....see what the difference is for my use...will be interesting...

Raja
Level 13
The mainstream platforms are usually a bit more fun to OC. KBL is difficult to pass up on given how well it scales. Best OC platform Intel has made to date.

lordofwater
Level 9
Ok have see the thread now for a neofite of Overclocking and Water Cooling i am an hardcore gamer so an IX Apex or IX Formula for an hardcore gamer or casual gamer is ideal or is better the IX Code?
One question what is the release date of the IX extreme?What do you think of one build with a TUF Z270 mark 1 with Water Cooling Arne?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You new to water cooling? It is fun...can be a bit expensive...but good fun and a silent cool PC is a joy...you will enjoy it.

At the end of the day all these boards can be water-cooled just come prepared in different ways....like no prep...partial prep....full.....the choice for oc level is maybe different too...though an average oc will be perfectly possible on all of them too.

So it comes down to your main passion a bit. If it is pure maximum oc then the apex. If mainly gaming then code...formula. If you want gaming and oc bells and whistles maybe extreme....comes with full block.

I may have to check out extreme. I went with formula because I thought the aesthetics better and I wanted my own block etc...but...on seeing it I realise the EK vrm block is badly designed....wont accept fittings for larger diameter fittings...a design flaw in my opinion..since i have larger diameter tubing and fittings...but for a new build less problem since you can go with the fittings from the start for the whole build...

Research is key i guess I'm saying...for exactly what you want out of the board...

I can see myself trading formula for extreme.... once it arrives....when is that?

Tuf...not sure really...always seen that line as a bit of an aesthetic choice more than features difference...maybe I'm wrong but it seems like a "military" code or formula equivalent.....certainly water-cool-able and certainly give you oc headroom....just maybe not the last percent of oc performance that extreme or apex will give.

Apex sacrifices all for ultimate oc...

lordofwater
Level 9
So Arne what do you think an asus build with Enthoo luxe tempered glass?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

sandro_c
Level 12
Hi Arne , i have followed all links that you send me and now i have a right idea about z270 and Maximus 9 formula (mark1).
sandro c.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
sandro c! good to see you out and about on the forum!

Catching up on the new releases right?

🙂

Hey guys - any idea if the Apex is worth waiting for?

Plan to use AIO for a while, just want to get to 5ghz with decent (3600+) memory speeds, I have no need for LN2.

I can wait and pay the premium but the HERO is in stock now at the local Microcenter. Is the Apex only relevant at above 5ghz or does it help down low too?

Thanks!