cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I tried updating my GTX 1070 VBIOS. What did I do wrong?

Robbl
Level 7
I tried updating my VBIOS with the 1.02 updater from ASUS (Released 2016/12/26). During the update process one of my two screens went black and the other showed artifacting, shortly after that I heard a beep coming from my PC. After several beeps my PC restarted on it's own and displayed the screen where Windows says it wasn't properly shut down. After that, Windows booted like usual.

Specs:

• GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 Strix OC
  • CPU: i5-3570k @ 4,3 GHz
  • Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX latest BIOS
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 memory @1600MHz (with X.M.P.)
  • PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 550W Platinum
  • Operating System & Version: Windows 7 Home 64bit latest updates
  • GPU Drivers: 376.33 clean install without 3D components and Geforce Experience
  • Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 1440p@144Hz(primary) + LG E2250 1080p@60Hz

More miscellaneous info:

• I have 2 PWM fans plugged into the graphics card
  • ROG Swift monitor was set to 60Hz and is connected via DisplayPort
  • LG montitor is connected via DVI
  • I uninstalled GPU Tweak II prior to the VBIOS update
  • CPU Voltage is usually around 1.288V in Offsetmode

GPU-Z after reboot: http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/17/01/08/e3m.png

According to the Micron memory thread the newest VBIOS is 86.04.50.00.63. I guess the update wasn't successful.
4 REPLIES 4

Robbl
Level 7
I tried updating the VBIOS again with the following differences to the last time I tried it:

• Unplugged both PWM fans from the graphics card
  • Unplugged the ROG Swift PG278Q monitor
  • Installed the newest version of GPU Tweak II (Set to gaming but was not running during the VBIOS update)
  • Installed the Nvidia driver 376.33 after wiping old drivers with DDU
  • Removed CPU overclock

This time I counted the beeps from my PC. Shortly after the 10th beep my PC rebooted on it's own with Windows saying it wasn't properly shut down.

Pic of GPU Tweak II info tab after reboot
http://i.imgur.com/RIZJXMS.png

Does nobody know why the update is not successful?

JustinThyme
Level 13
Uninstall everything related to the card and use Ccleaner to remove orphaned registry entries.
Upon reboot enter your BIOS and remove the overclock on your CPU, this is the most likely culprit actually. You should never flash BIOS whether it be the mother board or graphics card or controller firmware etc with anything other than stock clocks.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Uninstall everything related to the card and use Ccleaner to remove orphaned registry entries.
Upon reboot enter your BIOS and remove the overclock on your CPU, this is the most likely culprit actually. You should never flash BIOS whether it be the mother board or graphics card or controller firmware etc with anything other than stock clocks.

I did remove the the CPU overclock as mentioned in my second post. I did so by reverting to optimized defaults in the BIOS (F5 option). If I understood you correctly, I should uninstall GPU Tweak II and the nvidia drivers(with DDU), run CC Cleaner and then try to update the VBIOS?

extreme
Level 7
Vbios update got nothing to do with overclocked cpu. Download and Follow instructions again. File might be corrupted. After flash power down the pc from main?