cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback from Asus GL553 and GL753 Owners?

fluffydelusions
Level 7
I am interested to see reviews from people who have owned or used one. I am loving the overall look with rgb keyboard of these laptops more so than the refreshed 502 and 702 line with silver. If anyone has one please post what you think of if.
28 REPLIES 28

hghattas
Level 7
fluffydelusions wrote:
I am interested to see reviews from people who have owned or used one. I am loving the overall look with rgb keyboard of these laptops more so than the refreshed 502 and 702 line with silver. If anyone has one please post what you think of if.

Check this it is a pretty good review.
I am getting the GL 553VD in a week I will tell you then.

😉 Just received mine yesterday, upgrade to 32GB of Ram, added 1TB Samsung SSD (easy bios swap on drive change) So Far........... I'm Loving it, miss the G-Sync, but I also have a GL502 w/1070 which has G-Sync. Both Great! 3/27/2017 MAJOR PROBLEMS with gl753 returned to Amazon, bought GL702 which is MUCH better!!! (Way too many problems with the gl753, would NOT recommend!!!!)

I have a GL753, has a lot of issues just like the other ROG series. I started a new thread discussing some of these.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91551-ASUS-Strix-GL753V-issues

Here are some screen captures, Opera and Chrome, but the same thing is happening in Open Office and Adobe Reader

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zh53zteq0ijwyig/AABqVdS93mPtKaBt4nqKmjXja?dl=0

Precision touchpad on GL753VD is completely unuseable at the moment. I have the latest drivers, changed Microsoft input configuration device to Asus input configuration device as recommanded by ASUS FAQ.

Hello everyone,

I just got my GL753VE about 5 days ago and have been using it full time.

Hard drives; SSD is good if a bit small but the HDD was terrible. Transfer speeds were painfully slow, had to swap the drive to make it usable.

Keyboard; Nice feel to it and the lights are bright. Easy to program lighting from the ASUS Aura Core App. Limited compared to Razer's Chroma or Corsair's lighting system but still very nice.

Touch Pad; I've had no issue with it so far but I've seen more than a few threads here that indicate some issues are known to exist. Nice sensitivity and double tap to click. Playing around with ASUS's touchpad writing app, fun but ultimately impractical.

Speakers; My left speaker is currently dead but if the right speaker is any indication... that's some good sound from a laptop.

Headphone Jack; The headphone jack is a TRRS 3.5mm single jack for a headset. This is the same port on most cell phones and on XBox One. Works great using my Astro a50s.

USBs; Nice and tight, speedy connection.

Screen; B-E-A-U-tiful screen, love the anti glare.

Processor; My processor gets a bit too hot for my liking but it never misses a beat. I do run all my laptops on a chill pad when gaming JIC. (around 80 degrees C when gaming hard)

Graphics; Runs For Honor, Ghost Recon Wildlwands, SWTOR, World of Tanks, etc on super high graphics and doesn't flinch. (78 FPS, 82 FPS, 121 FPS, 113 FPS respectively) My GTX 1050 ti doesn't get nearly as hot as my Processor. (Highest I've seen is 40 degrees C)

Weight; This thing is the lightest gaming laptop I've ever used and initially I was worried about losing so much cooling potential coming from a G753 to a GL753 but I was wrong to worry. This lil guy is a absolute beast.

The Look; This thing is one sexy slice of brushed aluminium. The orange accents initially turned me off a bit (lights on back of screen, fan vent shroud, rubber feet all orange) but they grew on me fast. So fast that I changed the keyboard lights to mimic them.

WifI; Good, no pros or cons, just WiFi

LAN; very last LAN connection. Not sure if its Gigabit but it feels like it.

Power Chord; The power chord cable from the wall socket to the brick is waaaaay to short for my liking but it is a fairly common chord that I already replaced. The chord after the brick is very long compared to other laptop charges I've used. I think the thinking here was to get the brick away from the user and allow a more freely moving chord. Good idea.

Short and Sweet; Its a good gaming laptop, with minor heat issues that are non-detrimental (likely designed this way), Lean and Sexy, hard to look away. I recommend it highly. GET IT.

-CombatDork
CombatDork
"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

I can only recommend the ASUS GL753 laptop to masochists who have plenty of time installing and then reinstalling drivers, then reverting drivers, reinstalling Windows, installing drivers and having the same problems, so repeating the whole stuff.
Review>
The original Toshiba HDD is SLOW. If you want some speed you must use a SSD (preferably PCIe NVMe)
Keyboard backlighting: setting it to white: the white light is more like a purpleish pink with the bottom row of keys clearly towards green. Very uncool. Other colors seem to be ok,
Touchpad: as of today morning it cannot be disabled any more, scrolling with two fingers is unusable. Problems now and then with right click.
Speakers/headphone: crackling sound, I don't expect much from a laptop but that's 80's,
USB: the 2 left side USB ports have the same issues as other ROG series laptops do, just search the forums for left USB not working
Screen is nice
Processor: on the ASUS OFFICIAL site to this day it says: Intel® Core™ i5 7300HQ Processor. It's I7 I hope, that's why I paid You serious money, ignorants
Weight, look: very nice
WiFi, LAN: fast
Heat is not an issue, very efficient cooling, i see other series having serious problems
User manual: green battery LED??? user's manual from the OFFICIAL ASUS site says green battery LED. I only have orange and white leds, so...
ASUS software utilities: garbage, sometimes working, after restart or sleep stops working. ROG gaming center NEVER showed CPU and memory frequency, AURA settings inconsistent with actual keyboard lighting, ASUS Splendid working only now and then, handwriting on the touchpad??? tht's what you guys focus on?
DON'T BUY

My GL553VD is fine for now. The processor is stated core i7 7700HQ and the HDD drive is Hitachi 7200 RPM. But I know some versions out there have core i5. There are several configurations for those models.
These posts got me scared to update the touchpad drivers.
For those having problems, an Asus staff member on Amazon advised a bios update before uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.
Don't know if it works but it's worth a try.

Well you are a lucky guy then. I always flash the latest available BIOS, now v301.

Someone has already tested the new 302 version of the BIOS? (from this link: https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ROG-GL553VD/HelpDesk_Download/)

Are blue screen problems really solved?

I started a new topic to talk about it: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91977-BIOS-Update-302-Fix-BSoD-issue-(ROG-GL553VD)