cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"b2" code

anthuz
Level 7
I apologize for the double thread (here and in the video cards section), but not being sure of where it is more appropriate to create it, I did it here, too. If I have broken a rule of the forum, I apologize and ask you to leave one thread in the appropriate section.

Good morning! Few days ago I have purchased 1 1070 to replace my 780. As I put the 1070 in the same pci-express slot where I used my 780, my machine refused to boot-up and I can read through the q-code reader the status "b2". Change the pci-express slot doesn't change anything. Put the bios at default doesn't change anything. Change the power connectors doesn't change anything. Remove each device (except the mouse and keyboard) doesn’t change anything. So I have thought that the video card may be damaged, flawed. Then I have tested the 1070 on the machine of a my friend (he have a different motherboard, MSI h170 gaming m3 and 1 i5-6600 which support pci-e 3.0). As soon as we see that his machine is booting, we entered the bios, and his motherboard recognizes that the 1st pci-express slot is being used by an nvidia 1070 (this is a bios utility of his motherboard). Then his system booted-up without a single hesitation. We updated the video card bios to the last version and we installed the new nvidia drivers without problems. Maybe there is something in the CSM options (the "b2" q-code, mean "legacy option rom initialization") that need to be changed, but I'm not going to make some test again now, because I have a custom water cooling system, and change a video card (actually, I have already done this 3 times in a row now) is a pain. I know that my motherboard (P9X79-E WS) supports the last generation of nvidia's video cards, because of these tests:
http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-g...eview_181298/3
http://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-g...eview_181760/3
http://www.legitreviews.com/evga-gef...eview_183371/2
As you can read, they have used the same motherboard, but a different cpu, which may be the problem: my cpu is a i7-3820 and it doesn't support pci-e 3.0, contrary to the i7-4960X. I would be very grateful for an answer, and if you wanted to share with me the bios settings, of course, for those who have no problems on x79! Good day!

[Motherboard Specification]
Motherboard Vendor : asus
Motherboard Revision : P9X79-E WS rev. 1.01
Motherboard BIOS Revision : 1704

[CPU Specification]
CPU Vendor : Intel
CPU Type : 3820
CPU Speed : 3.60-3.80

[Memory Specification]
Memory Vendor : Kingston
Memory Model : khx2133c11d3k4/16gx
Memory Capacity : 16gb
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi anthuz

Your 1070 is backwards compatible with pcie 2.0 so that isn't an issue.

Try different monitor cables.

Try with 1 stick of ram.

Remove any usb devices except your mouse and keyboard and any pcie devices.

Check the pcie power cables are firmly connected to your gpu and psu.

Hi Nate! I know that the 1070 is compatible with pci-e 2.0 and that I shouldn't have issues with this, but, as I'm reading on the net, other users with processor which support pci-e 2.0 are having the same problem. Anyway, this may be a coincidence. I have already tried everything. Only "issue" is that my monitor cables are old, so I'm going to ask a friend his new cables. Just a question: how can a monitor cable exceed the b2 status? A machine starts up and reaches the operation even without being connected to a monitor, is not it? Anyway, before removing the 780 and put the 1070 in again, I'd prefer to read if someone with x79 has no issue and, possibly his bios settings (there may be something different in csm options). Thank you for the try. 🙂

Nate152
Sure anthuz,

It should work without issue, if you have windows 10 try disabling csm and set secure boot to " Other Os " and see if that gets you to boot.

I upgraded from the ROG matrix platinum 980 Ti to the ROG Strix 1070 and all was good, all I did was swap out the gpu's.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Maybe clear CMOS not just F5 defaults, with all power removed from board...if you haven't tried that....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Maybe clear CMOS not just F5 defaults, with all power removed from board...if you haven't tried that....

tried that, of course 😉
Nate152 wrote:
Sure anthuz,

It should work without issue, if you have windows 10 try disabling csm and set secure boot to " Other Os " and see if that gets you to boot.

I upgraded from the ROG matrix platinum 980 Ti to the ROG Strix 1070 and all was good, all I did was swap out the gpu's.

well, i'll try every single combination of settings! But Nate, not now. A custom liquid cooling loop with rigid tubes is difficult to fill and empty, even more if you have a large case and several radiators (560, 240, 360) ... several days have passed, but I still have back pain!
In the meanwhile, I hope someone with my same platform will read this and contribute to give my head a rest!

I forgot to ask you guys to redirect here all the users you may know which have x79 platform and 10 series nvidia video cards. Thanks again.

As I had guessed, based on what I had read on the net, the problem was related to the cpu. Now, with 4930k (pci-e 3.0 native) everything is ok. 🙂