cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PG27UQ: Why Not Larger?

jasonvp
Level 7
This is more for the Asus folks who frequent the board. I understand NDA stuff and not being able to talk about products that are yet released. My question centers around the new PG27UQ that was shown and announced at CES. It's the 27" panel that we caught a glimpse of back during the summer of 2016; a model number, price tag, and release date have finally been given to it.

Question: why did you stick with the 27" screen size? 4K really calls out for something larger, more on the order of 30" or 32". Was it a concern over the price you'd need to charge for a larger panel? Yeah, $1200 is a bit to cough up for a 27" 4K GSync 144Hz panel that does HDR, but I'd internally budgeted $2K US for a larger one with those same specs. Others like me exist and would pay more for the bigger panel. So: was it a technical limitation or a budgetary one?
System specs: click here.
26 REPLIES 26

Crashcourse316
Level 9
It's all about profit. The numbers they have come up with for the estimated sales of a larger monitor at 4k vs the cost of setting up the resources and production of the monitor was probably not very favorable. Going for a 27" 4k 144hz would be a more likely transition for most of the current 27" monitor owners than the ones that want to go bigger. That makes the numbers for the 27" most likely higher making it more of a priority than a larger display. All that said a larger display could be on their production timeline and it's just not announced yet because it's still too early based on the timeline. I don't believe that it's a technology restriction at all and would guess it's more of the management trying to time the products in a beneficial way.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Zenairis
Level 7
jasonvp wrote:
This is more for the Asus folks who frequent the board. I understand NDA stuff and not being able to talk about products that are yet released. My question centers around the new PG27UQ that was shown and announced at CES. It's the 27" panel that we caught a glimpse of back during the summer of 2016; a model number, price tag, and release date have finally been given to it.

Question: why did you stick with the 27" screen size? 4K really calls out for something larger, more on the order of 30" or 32". Was it a concern over the price you'd need to charge for a larger panel? Yeah, $1200 is a bit to cough up for a 27" 4K GSync 144Hz panel that does HDR, but I'd internally budgeted $2K US for a larger one with those same specs. Others like me exist and would pay more for the bigger panel. So: was it a technical limitation or a budgetary one?

I think it's about right with the 27" each time size is increased screen image quality is decreased. PPI (pixels per inch) caps out for the human eye around 300. This monitors PPI is only slightly higher than half of that. Unfortunately though we won't see those kind of displays till around 8k resolution at 27" for the best quality the human eye can see.

Zenairis wrote:
I think it's about right with the 27"

Great, then you can buy a 27". I don't think it's "about right" and I believe it should be larger. But since Asus isn't actually making the panel itself, they're sort of at the whim of the producing company. And said company may not have the wherewithal to make anything larger.
System specs: click here.

jasonvp wrote:
Great, then you can buy a 27". I don't think it's "about right" and I believe it should be larger. But since Asus isn't actually making the panel itself, they're sort of at the whim of the producing company. And said company may not have the wherewithal to make anything larger.

I think you likely nailed it here. The panel supplier wants to make 27" panels so that's what we get. It could just be that some of the manufacturer's existing tooling is set up for 27" panels so going to 32" would be cost prohibitive.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

jasonvp wrote:

They have the Pro Art 32" version which was revealed at the same event. *

lufiron wrote:
They have the Pro Art 32" version which was revealed at the same event. *

Totally different market segment. The Pro Art is aimed at content creation and is a 60hz panel, not 144Hz like the pg27UQ. The pro series has a much cleaner and crisper image with astounding color reproduction that make the 27 inch monitor pale in comparison, problem it peaks at 60 fps, done.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Doug2507
Level 10
jasonvp wrote:
and release date have finally been given to it.

What date?

Brighttail
Level 11
Acer found a way with their 32 inch, g-sync, IPS , 4k model...
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Doug2507
Level 10
Not really a comparison as that's a 60hz monitor.