cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q FPS issue

DirtTrash78
Level 7
Yeah, so I just purchased this the other day and am very dissatisfied with its performance overall.

I am guessing I am not the only one seeing surprisingly low FPS when combined the latest and greatest components, i.e. the Strix 1080 O8G, Edition 10 mobo, 6850K, etc. Just to give everyone an idea of my issue...

I currently have two Asus 25" 1080/60hz monitors, two Samsung 28" 4k/60hz monitors, one true 4k 240hz (meaning 2x120hz) TV, and this PG279Q monitor. And regardless which monitor/TV I use, all set to 60hz and 1440p, my average FPS always sit in the 80's to 90's with max hitting 110's. When I test the Swift, regardless which hertz I set it to, my FPS doesn't change and are too similar to the other monitors numbers. Their should be no reason the Swift's numbers are this comparable to inferior monitors. Program benchmark's or game embedded benchmark 's consist of, but not limited to, 3DMark (all purchased and tested within).

As I said, I would love to hear that this problem is just me but am very doubtful after my many attempts with Asus Monitor Tech Support, to include a very dumb Supervisor/Tier 2 representative. And yes, I know how to switch between each hertz mode via the monitor AND "Display Adapter Properties".

-Semper Fi
Stay Low Move Fast Kill First Die Last...OOORAH!!!
5 REPLIES 5

Crashcourse316
Level 9
DirtTrash78 wrote:
Yeah, so I just purchased this the other day and am very dissatisfied with its performance overall.

I am guessing I am not the only one seeing surprisingly low FPS when combined the latest and greatest components, i.e. the Strix 1080 O8G, Edition 10 mobo, 6850K, etc. Just to give everyone an idea of my issue...

I currently have two Asus 25" 1080/60hz monitors, two Samsung 28" 4k/60hz monitors, one true 4k 240hz (meaning 2x120hz) TV, and this PG279Q monitor. And regardless which monitor/TV I use, all set to 60hz and 1440p, my average FPS always sit in the 80's to 90's with max hitting 110's. When I test the Swift, regardless which hertz I set it to, my FPS doesn't change and are too similar to the other monitors numbers. Their should be no reason the Swift's numbers are this comparable to inferior monitors. Program benchmark's or game embedded benchmark 's consist of, but not limited to, 3DMark (all purchased and tested within).

As I said, I would love to hear that this problem is just me but am very doubtful after my many attempts with Asus Monitor Tech Support, to include a very dumb Supervisor/Tier 2 representative. And yes, I know how to switch between each hertz mode via the monitor AND "Display Adapter Properties".

-Semper Fi

To clarify this. the swift is running at 165/144hz on the desktop correct? the issue your seeing is during gaming, your frame rate is almost the same no matter what resolution you use while gaming? Also what games did you benchmark? Run a game benchmark and post the score it gave you so we can compare it to others(use default ultra settings).

The only performance effect a monitor has on a games FPS is the resolution you are using. the Data rates needed for 4k are almost 2 times more than 1440p. same goes when going from 1080 to 1440p obviously. So the only answer I would have from the initial information you gave is that either all your game/resolution settings are are the same while you test each monitor, or something is capping out your FPS on your windows build (could be a hardware or software issue).

To get this moving faster without needing your responses every five seconds I'll toss you some random tests to try when you have time.

Turn on the swift's big yellow OSD for FPS and leave it on the whole time. also turn on the in game fps counter as well. This will give you both readings, if you have G-sync on they should be matching as they update.

pick any game to test on (preferably something like ARMA, Battlefield, Gears of war 4, DOOM, The Division). Set your IN GAME resolution to 1920 x 1080 from the game settings. Make sure V-sync is off and there is no frame limit set if there is a setting for that. start up any section of a campaign or map by yourself. Pick a spot and just stand there. Your FPS will be pretty solid as long as it's a fairly static scene without a ton of stuff going on. just take note of the FPS then change the resolution to 1440p. Note FPS here as well. There should be a decent difference between the two probably 20-40 fps difference. The only time you would not see a difference here would be if your GPU was being capped by your CPU (which i doubt being a 6850k). My 4790k caps out my MSI 1080x at about 80-85% if there is a lot of CPU power needed for a game. At 1440p when I'm playing multiplayer on Gears 4 with everything maxed out I'm usually getting around 100-130 generally. If I back off some of the settings I can get it up to that 165 fps solid. Other games like the Division maxed out is around 70-90.

Get back to us with some more specifics on settings.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Good advice, never had a monitor cap FPS. It's usually a result of configuration. The only thing I've noted is this monitor is more prone to tearing in some games if you don't have G Sync on. Now G Sync will slow down the refresh rate of the monitor to match the FPS output of the GPU so it's not trying to load frames faster than they are getting sent. *If 90 FPS is what your GPU is putting out changing monitors isn't going to change that. What it will homage is how smooth those frames are displayed.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Volt
Level 9
The pendulum demo is a quick, easy way to test fps + g-sync at the same time in a repeatable manner.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/downloads

DirtTrash78
Level 7
Apologies everyone!!! I know it's no one's problem but my own, but I am a Disabled Vet and was in the hospital again for a few days. Reason for the long disappearance.

Anyway, i'm gonna go ahead and jump on a few of the things you explained. And please also understand that I know how fps and refresh rates work, but am always down for new knowledge as I am extremely analytical about everything. Who knows, maybe I might figure out my issue just after a step or two from posts above.

Honestly though, I am really doubting I have a fully functional CPU as my previous CPU (6800K) ran much smoother in every aspect of my daily usage. But we'll see, I guess.

-Semper Fi
Stay Low Move Fast Kill First Die Last...OOORAH!!!

DirtTrash78 wrote:
Apologies everyone!!! I know it's no one's problem but my own, but I am a Disabled Vet and was in the hospital again for a few days. Reason for the long disappearance.

Anyway, i'm gonna go ahead and jump on a few of the things you explained. And please also understand that I know how fps and refresh rates work, but am always down for new knowledge as I am extremely analytical about everything. Who knows, maybe I might figure out my issue just after a step or two from posts above.

Honestly though, I am really doubting I have a fully functional CPU as my previous CPU (6800K) ran much smoother in every aspect of my daily usage. But we'll see, I guess.

-Semper Fi

Take a look at your 3dMark benchmarks for your CPU scores. If it seems low or if you want to just do it start running some stress testing and CPU diags. Maybe it will blow up and you can blame intel. Or if you have the time you can just swap the CPU out with your "old" 6800K and see if it solves the issue.

I know a lot of this is all common knowledge to some but this stuff might help someone later.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.