cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Formula - Power cord unplug and ROG logo and Graphics card leds still on

R2D2Mares
Level 7
Hello,

I turn off my computer and ROG logo and Graphics card leds still on, but when I tried to turn on the computer nothing happens, I turn off the PSU and the leds still on, then I unplugged the power cord from the PSU and still on.

Is this a normal behavior? or this is the Matrix calling me? or there is a Battery in the MoBo that has enough power to support the leds on?

I would like to have 0 Watts of consumption and no lights when I turn off the PC.

After reconnect everything to the PSU and MOBO a was able to turn on the computer.

Help!

Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus ROG P​OSEIDON-GT​X980-P-4GD​5
EVGA 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
3 REPLIES 3

Nickba
Level 7
Hi,

There is no battery inside, besides the bios battery to hold the settings and the date and clock time. What you see is a result of the Power Supply/motherboard capacitors charge. A simple explanation is that they work as a fast charge and discharge batteries to stabilize the power. If you remove the power cord and wait a few seconds and in some rare case minutes, the leds will turn off as the capacitors will be discharged.

Or you maybe forgot to disconnect the aux power supply cord from the motherboard.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Long enough for the capacitors to discharge.
Not all of my lights go out either when shut down. GPUs get power other than the ATX connector, they have their own feed from the PSU and a depending on the board they also get power from the PCIE connection via another PSu connection to the MOBO. From what tyou are showing that still hase LEDs lit after the power cord is pulled its most likely the capacitors in your PSU. Its normal for the caps to continue discharging while the plug is removed, question of the day is does it still happen when you flip the power switch on the PSU off. The caps carry you through short duration micro brownouts by design, however should discharge and take away standby power when you flip the power button. If they don't you have a faulty PSU. They can take quite a long time to bleed down with such a minuscule load of only ultra low power leds. The larger the PSU the longer it takes as the caps are bigger. I have a 2400 Watt PSU out of a blade server that I use for charging my RC car LIPO batteries. Yank the power on that and it runs fans and all for a good 30 seconds with no load on it. If you have lights on obviously its not zero watts but the draw on these LEDs is so miniscule its not far from it.

I dont know about your particular board but Im guessing its much like the rest with onboard LEDs in that you can turn them off in the BIOS. They remain lit when enabled even when shut down by design. Its a reminder to you before you go poking around messing with components that your board is still powered.

The lights on your graphics card are also there to let you know there is still power there. They cant be disabled on the boards that have them as far as I know, Im sure they cant on the ASUS boards. You dont want to flip the power switch to kill the lights either as this takes away your standby and upon restoration of power and boot it goes through an initialization sequence that takes quite a bit longer than a boot from a system that didnt have its standby power removed.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein