cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G752VS - G-Sync causes flickering (not black screen issue) in almost every game

MuckiMaazl
Level 7
Hello everybody,

please excuse my bad english 😉

I recently bought a G752VS (with GTX 1070) and I am having major problems with almost every game whenever I enable G-Sync.

G-Sync causes the screen to flicker. I am not talking about the black screen issue during low fps. The flicker is more like a very fast brightness change, which is very uncomfortable for the eyes. It is absolute impossible to play games like that, I would get a headache in no time. When a game runs at 120 fps, the problem does not occur, but when it drops to 60-80 fps, it gets really bad.

There is one thing i noticed in Overwatch. On the training grounds, the game runs perfectly smooth with 120 fps, but suddenly it drops to 60-70 fps and the flickering begins. This happens even if I do not move, so there is absolutely no change in the scene that would explain the fps drop. After about 10 seconds, the framerate jumps back to 120 fps, and the flickering disappears. This behavior repeats again and again.

The problem occurs with World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, Overwatch, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Need for Speed (the new one)**- these are the games I tried thus far.

I did a clean Windows 10 installation and always use the latest GPU drivers. I tried the ones on the ASUS homepage as well as the nvidia drivers. The problems still exists.

When I connect the notebook to my external G-Sync monitor, everything works fine. Also this problem did never occur on my old G752VY (with 980m and G-Sync).

Please, does someone know what I do wrong? This is my THIRD G752VS, because I thought of a hardware problem and returned it twice, but that is obviously not the case (or I am having real bad luck).

Thank you for your help!*
15 REPLIES 15

Armesis
Level 10
Not bad luck, rather these laptops are very unreliable. Ive had too many hardware and software issues myself. Some here have returned them multiple times as well with no fix.
I suggest using an older driver, some of these new ones cause more problems. There is a tiny chance that resetting BIOS to factory settings may help too. When i was having problems with my G-Sync detection after a screen replacement, that solved it. Thats my 2 cents, sorry im no expert on laptops lol. Best of luck with your problem, these laptops arent cheap.

Hello,

I have a similar issue here. But I don't think it is related to GSYNC, I started my laptop on Safe Mode also on BIOS configuration screen, and that very fast flickering issue exactly as you mention was still happenning (a very fast change in brightness), so I think it is neither GSYNC nor graphic card issue, I am afraid it is display monitor issue. I an external screen and the issue is not happening with it.
Several times before this issue happened and I could easily fix it by closing the lid and openning it again. But now, the issue cannot be fixed......

Am I suggesting right ? Could it the laptop monitor issue? That would be really painful 😞

DevSherif wrote:
Hello,

I have a similar issue here. But I don't think it is related to GSYNC, I started my laptop on Safe Mode also on BIOS configuration screen, and that very fast flickering issue exactly as you mention was still happenning (a very fast change in brightness), so I think it is neither GSYNC nor graphic card issue, I am afraid it is display monitor issue. I an external screen and the issue is not happening with it.
Several times before this issue happened and I could easily fix it by closing the lid and openning it again. But now, the issue cannot be fixed......

Am I suggesting right ? Could it the laptop monitor issue? That would be really painful 😞

Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure that is it not a hardware defect, since all three models had this problem AND it only happens if GSync is enabled. If I disable it, everything works just fine.

I can't believe that no one else is having the same issues - or are only very few people active in this forum?

Hi,

As an owner of a G752VS, I had this issue but only with one of the lastest Nvidia graphic driver. I am used to update the graphic driver each time a new one comes out, and with one of the lastest this issue happened to me too, the screen flickered when in a game.

So when this occured, I reverted to the precedent driver and the flickering went away, then when a newer graphic went out I updated it and the issue was not there. It was the fault of one of the Nvidia driver.

I use a clean install of Win10 too.

I recommend trying other Nvidia drivers, and I guess you have disabled V-sync in the game and driver settings.

Aghoithae wrote:
Hi,

As an owner of a G752VS, I had this issue but only with one of the lastest Nvidia graphic driver. I am used to update the graphic driver each time a new one comes out, and with one of the lastest this issue happened to me too, the screen flickered when in a game.

So when this occured, I reverted to the precedent driver and the flickering went away, then when a newer graphic went out I updated it and the issue was not there. It was the fault of one of the Nvidia driver.

I use a clean install of Win10 too.

I recommend trying other Nvidia drivers, and I guess you have disabled V-sync in the game and driver settings.

Hi,

I tried all possible V-Sync settings or used frame rate limiters, this did not solve the issue.

Unfortunately, I had this problem from the start and with the last three or four driver versions. I also tried the ones from the ASUS homepage, but didn't work either. Could you please tell me with which driver version it works with your machine? Oh, and between driver changes, I used the display driver uninstaller, so that nothing remained of the old driver.

Thank you!

Aghoithae
Level 7
I was going to tell you to use the display driver uninstaller...

I only had problem with the Nvidia 376.09 driver, older or newer were fine.

This is really annoying what you are going through, and with 3 laptops ?! I guess that yes, you really have bad luck.

Myself I RMAed two of those G752VS because touchpad gesture control and double finger click didn't work after resume from sleep, but I ended to live with this issue, as the 3 laptops had the same issue. (Seems ASUS equipped those laptops delivered over here with an ElanTech touchpad that is not yet recognized by the Windows drivers). And had some other software problem too (after sleep, the computer went again in sleep within 2 min of unactivity, and I have to use a tweak found in a forum to make appear an option in advanced power settings)

Kinda shame for the price we are paying. But beside that this laptop is incredibly good.

Aghoithae wrote:
I was going to tell you to use the display driver uninstaller...

I only had problem with the Nvidia 376.09 driver, older or newer were fine.

This is really annoying what you are going through, and with 3 laptops ?! I guess that yes, you really have bad luck.

Myself I RMAed two of those G752VS because touchpad gesture control and double finger click didn't work after resume from sleep, but I ended to live with this issue, as the 3 laptops had the same issue. (Seems ASUS equipped those laptops delivered over here with an ElanTech touchpad that is not yet recognized by the Windows drivers). And had some other software problem too (after sleep, the computer went again in sleep within 2 min of unactivity, and I have to use a tweak found in a forum to make appear an option in advanced power settings)

Kinda shame for the price we are paying. But beside that this laptop is incredibly good.

I just tried 369.02, but that still does not help. So if you do not have the same problems than I have, there has to be a hardware defect - for the third time.

Unfortnunately, there are no real alternatives to the ASUS notebook. Other brands only have 60 Hz screens and / or no G-Sync, and Alienware has horrible grey lines in their G-Sync display (I tested this one also as an alternative to my defect ASUS).

Hi,
I've the same problem, i've just bought a g752vs with gtx1070 and the screen is flickering all the times.... At the moment i played with Civ VI, Bioschock Infinite, Divinity original sin and L.A. noire, and i'm experiencing always the same disturbing issue.

I've read of others having the same problem, and now i'm not sure if give it back because the hardware is broken or waiting for a software/drivers solution, do yuo have any hint?

Incredible that at this prices the screen has all this problem, considering also the intense yellow glow at hte angle of the screen :mad:

diomede wrote:
Hi,
I've the same problem, i've just bought a g752vs with gtx1070 and the screen is flickering all the times.... At the moment i played with Civ VI, Bioschock Infinite, Divinity original sin and L.A. noire, and i'm experiencing always the same disturbing issue.

I've read of others having the same problem, and now i'm not sure if give it back because the hardware is broken or waiting for a software/drivers solution, do yuo have any hint?

Incredible that at this prices the screen has all this problem, considering also the intense yellow glow at hte angle of the screen :mad:

By now I do doubt that it is a hardware issue. It is highly improbable that my three notebooks and yours too are broken. If they are, it would be very embarrassing for ASUS. Although I read about so much problems with external ASUS G-Sync gaming monitors, so who knows.

Honestly, I don't know what to do. To send the notebook to ASUS means to not have it for at least three weeks.

@diomede: Does the flickering stop if you deactivate G-Sync? It should. And: Did you do a clean install? Maybe the problem is caused by some wrong configuration?

Could someone report if he also has the problem with a preinstalled windows?