Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    ROG G752VS display problems

    Hi guys I recently bought the ROG G752VS (overclocked edition) that comes with the GTX 1070. I have latest Nvidia Geforce Game Ready driver "376.33" and I have my power options set to High performance. To reduce the heat I normally launch ROG Gaming Center and change the Extreme to Standard for Turbo Gear 1.0.5. I currently have 2 games: Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 1. BF1 runs normally with no problem at max video setting until today. My screen froze and turned black and then I got some direct x error message and I was forced to close Battlefield 1. I never had any problem with battlefield 1. The event viewer shows a warning Event ID: 4101 Source: Display with error message: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Now my other major problem is Guildwars2 I almost always have black screens when playing that game on Extreme and seldom times on Standard Turbo Gear. The same thing happens with Guildwars 2 with the exception that if I dont kill the game in few seconds (as in Alt+F4 while in freeze mode) the entire PC will go into a BSOD and a memory dump will initiate followed by a reboot.

    Please advise me on what to do? Do I have a hardware problem and should I send it for repair or is this a driver issue for GTX 1070 with DirectX 12 on Windows 10 Pro?

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Reputation
    23
    Posts
    150

    Sorry to hear those problems, these laptops arent cheap. Have you tried an older driver? New ones come out so fast and can cause more problems. Were having the same issue with the 980M. For our case, an older driver seems to work very well.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    94

    Two thoughts for you:
    1) DX12 is still pretty spotty. Not sure if the driver is the issue or not, but try going back to DX11 with the in game options.
    2) Check out this guide to do a clean install of the nVidia drivers.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...l-windows.html

    I have the same setup (except the non-OC model), but I didn't try and go back to DX12. DX12 was a bit slower and not really any different looking than DX11, so I haven't tried that yet.
    As a side tip, you can manage your heat more easily buy undervolting your CPU. For some reason, Asus has these CPUs running hot. Most people with the OC edition have undervolted their CPUs by about .150 mV. Check this thread out. I used Intel's XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility) to simply reduce the voltage and save like 10 degrees C.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ore-throttling

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Reputation
    23
    Posts
    150

    Just to add to Buggsy's post - If you do a manual removal of your current graphics driver and begin installation of a new one (reboot is required), make sure your laptop is disconnected from the internet. Better yet turn off your internet router so the laptop does not have a chance to connect automatically. This is because windows 10 has a bad habit of automatically downloading and installing their own drivers if it senses the hardware does not have it. In my case and many others, when i rebooted and tried to install a new driver, it failed. This was because win10 was already installing their own generic driver in the background.

    The automatic driver updates cannot be turned off, nor is there any indication of what its doing. Many people have had this problem after doing a manual removal of their gpu drivers.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Thank you for thr input guys. I will try buggsy's suggestion later tonight when I get home and I will update this post accordingly. I hope this will solve my issue because as you mentioned armesis I did pay a fortune and I was under the impression that this beast will run everything and anything without any hiccups.

    Regards,
    Sugarglue

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    94

    Quote Originally Posted by Armesis View Post
    Just to add to Buggsy's post - If you do a manual removal of your current graphics driver and begin installation of a new one (reboot is required), make sure your laptop is disconnected from the internet. Better yet turn off your internet router so the laptop does not have a chance to connect automatically. This is because windows 10 has a bad habit of automatically downloading and installing their own drivers if it senses the hardware does not have it. In my case and many others, when i rebooted and tried to install a new driver, it failed. This was because win10 was already installing their own generic driver in the background.

    The automatic driver updates cannot be turned off, nor is there any indication of what its doing. Many people have had this problem after doing a manual removal of their gpu drivers.
    Just go into your services, and find Windows Update. Set it to disabled, apply, then stop the service. Now windows update will only run when you go back into services and start this service. I have a data cap and can't let windows update run when it wants to. This was the simplest way to manage Windows Update that I found.
    This will also break the Microsoft Store if you use that. I haven't had any other issues from disabling the service.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
    Two thoughts for you:
    1) DX12 is still pretty spotty. Not sure if the driver is the issue or not, but try going back to DX11 with the in game options.
    2) Check out this guide to do a clean install of the nVidia drivers.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...l-windows.html

    I have the same setup (except the non-OC model), but I didn't try and go back to DX12. DX12 was a bit slower and not really any different looking than DX11, so I haven't tried that yet.
    As a side tip, you can manage your heat more easily buy undervolting your CPU. For some reason, Asus has these CPUs running hot. Most people with the OC edition have undervolted their CPUs by about .150 mV. Check this thread out. I used Intel's XTU (Extreme Tuning Utility) to simply reduce the voltage and save like 10 degrees C.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ore-throttling

    Ok I finished the clean driver install and now I am looking at the heat thing. I downloaded XTU but am too scared to use it. Can you please tell me what options you enabled/disabled? A screenshot would be helpful. Another thing would the new setting persist or do I have to repeat it everytime I reboot the PC?

    Sugarglue

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by sugarglue View Post
    Ok I finished the clean driver install and now I am looking at the heat thing. I downloaded XTU but am too scared to use it. Can you please tell me what options you enabled/disabled? A screenshot would be helpful. Another thing would the new setting persist or do I have to repeat it everytime I reboot the PC?

    Sugarglue

    Okay it seems the clean install of the latest driver did not solve my issue. GW2 is still crashing with BSOD. So I did an old version clean install 359.xx and again the same thing happened.

    Note: Battlefield 1 had "Limit GPU" enabled which when I disabled BF1 worked fine.
    Last edited by sugarglue; 01-12-2017 at 06:55 AM.

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    94

    Did you just to the clean option on the nVidia installer, or use the tool mentioned in the link (Wagnard)?

    Drives like this are almost as tenacious as a virus. Often you need the tool to completely remove them.

    These instructions might help more about your specific error. Hard to say if you're getting the time out error or not just from the event viewer, but worth a try.
    https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...on-windows-10/

    XTU is scary looking, but I didn't monkey with much either. Just go into "Advanced Tuning" and the first part "All Controls". On the right side, there is a slider that says "Core voltage Offset". I reduced mine to -0.150 V. Make sure you slide the right way to be negative and not adding voltage.

  10. #10
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    24

    Quote Originally Posted by sugarglue View Post
    Ok I finished the clean driver install and now I am looking at the heat thing. I downloaded XTU but am too scared to use it. Can you please tell me what options you enabled/disabled? A screenshot would be helpful. Another thing would the new setting persist or do I have to repeat it everytime I reboot the PC?

    Sugarglue
    There is a gaming center update 1.0.6 for g752vs. It suppose to reduce heat by -10c. However, I only got -1c. It did greatly reduce voltage by roughly -.2. In 1.0.5, idle was 1.2, load 1.4, now in 1.0.6, idle is .6, load 1.2. You could try and see if you get lucky.
    Also, XTU, does turbo gear extreme need to be disabled while using XTU to undervolt? *

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •