cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VII Hero slow boot, up to 2 minutes to windows..

phem0r
Level 7
Hello, I built my system in July 2014 using the Maximus VII Hero motherboard, the boot times never used to be an issue but over the last couple months or so i've noticed my system taking forever to boot up and i suspect it is USB related.

So, i hit the power button and the system will sit on a qcode of '64' and then '99' and then 'AE' before eventually booting literally a minute or 2 later.. I've noticed that if i unplug a USB device like my keyboard or mouse etc when the system is sat on one of these codes that it then clears and boots so i'm not sure if this is USB related but it seems so.

I just formatted a week ago and installed Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i cleared the CMOS prior to installing as well as secure erasing everything for safe measure. My BIOS setup is basically stock apart from Asmedia controller being disabled, XMP being setup and fan profiles setup. Anyway, PC specs below

CPU - Intel i7 4790K @ stock
MB - Asus Maximus VII Hero - BIOS 3103
RAM - 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R
HDD - Seagate 1TB ST1000DM003
SSD - Samsung 256GB 850 Pro & Samsung 128GB 830
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w P2 220-P2-1000-XR
GPU - EVGA GTX 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB 03G-P4-2883-KR
Case - Corsair 900D
USB Devices - Corsair Strafe MX Silent RGB, Razer DeathAdder 2013, Logitech C920 Webcam, Blue Yeti Microphone, USB3 External 1TB HDD
Monitor - Asus VG278HE

Think that's everything, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi phem0r

Try removing all usb devices except your mouse and keyboard and see if boot time is any faster.

phem0r
Level 7
Already did that just yesterday after posting, every cold boot since has been fine. Haven't needed to warm boot yet so i'll keep an eye on that.

I guess i'll just start plugging in devices and see how it goes for a couple of days until the culprit is found...

Chino
Level 15

phem0r
Level 7
It's not turned on 24/7, i only turn it on when i need to back something up and then it's turned back off so it's not on during boot

Puffnstuff
Level 10
I've also noticed inconsistency with the boot and reboot times in the amount of time the bios takes to process things. Most times its quick about it but occasionally it takes an extraordinarily long amount of tome before it will start loading windows. I've also noticed that the bios version doesn't matter. I also turned off fast boo and windows fast start because of problems I was having with them.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932