cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Sometimes one of the fans spins up very loud for no reason at idle

0x542
Level 7
Often, I'll be idling or doing very light work, and the fan on the right hand side of the laptop will spin up very fast and loud, and stay spinning like that for maybe 20 minutes before eventually slowing down back to normal. My CPU and GPU usage remains low throughout.

When it's spinning up for no reason at idle, it's making more noise than it does when I play overwatch maxed out.

Today I flashed to the 300 bios and it didn't help. I can't find any software that will monitor the fan RPMs, so I don't even know where to begin to fix this.

All input appreciated!
41 REPLIES 41

0x542
Level 7
Isn't this happening to anyone else?

What software can I use to measure the RPM?

How many fans are inside the GL502VS and which one is on the right hand side?

After a bit of investigation, I believe it's the GPU fan, as the CPU fan seems to be the one on the left? Speedfan can detect the RPM of the CPU fan, but doesn't detect the GPU fan at all. I tried Asus GPU tweak II but it doesn't have any data on the fan at all, is there even an RPM sensor on it? I just tried changing to 372.52 drivers, no help.

It looks like there are lots of people in this thread with similar 1070 fan issues? Is the graphics card in my GL502VS a Strix-1070-O8G?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88228-Strix-1070-O8G-fan-issues

Can ANYONE with a GL502VS please tell me if you can read your GPU fan speed in any software at all?

link626
Level 7
does speedfan let you control fan speed?

No, it only shows the speed of the CPU fan, it doesn't have any measurement at all for the GPU fan, which is the loud one. (And I can't control the CPU fan speed, only see the RPM).

In that thread people noticed that it only happens after playing an intensive game, and is fixed by rebooting -- so if you reboot and don't play a game it won't happen until you do. So far this theory is being proven true for me... but I need to wait until the end of today to be sure.

To update, the previous theory about it only happening after doing something GPU intensive has been proven false. Today it did it 2 hours after cold boot, with no games played. It's still screaming it's head off now. Rebooting fixes it temporarily, as soon as it reboots the fan slowly decreases in speed. But it comes back sometimes in less than 10 minutes.

I tried running furmark to push the GPU temperature up in the hopes the fan speed would slow down as the GPU cools once I turned furmark off... it didn't work. Temps dropped to <40 degrees but the fan is still going mad.

I've noticed that if I reboot while the fan is spinning like mad for no reason, slowly the fan slows down and stops. But then right on time, after about 4 minutes 45 seconds of windows uptime, it starts to ramp up again.

Another observation, it happens in safe mode too.

I'm getting pretty sick of bumping my own thread constantly but maybe this will be helpful to someone, or someone with a solution will finally show up, or maybe someone from asus will chime in eventually... huh?

Yeah, the same thing happens to me too and it's getting pretty frustrating. Can you tell me what temps your GPU is getting at through SpeedFan? Mine starts at roughly 42 degrees after a cold boot but then after about 10 minutes climbs to 55 and the fans start to kick in.

I've got a GL702VM and it does the same thing. It's driving me nuts 😞