cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Causes of game stutter and sometimes BSOD on a 1070?

Morisato
Level 7
What do you guys think are causes for in-game stutter and sometimes BSOD where the NVidia driver would fail to restart due to a freeze? I noticed it would stutter hard on smoke effects (nearly freezes on heavy smoke effects) in certain games like BF1 or Firestrike ultra benchmark though it plays fine with Witcher 3. These are one of the few games (there are more but can't remember atop of my head) where it does this. To be fair my system is nearing 9 years old and I will be upgrading this year but I would like to know what are your thoughts on the cause of this stutter. I've been reading around and from what I can see there is just too many reasons for it (cpu bottleneck, not enough power, bad pci-e slot, possibly ram). I'm trying to narrow it down so I'll list my old PC specs and no, overheating is not an issue (used to be until I got my Noctua NH-D15S). Mind you my old AMD 5870 gave no such issues until I upgraded to the 1070 using the same PCI-E slot. Only reason I upgraded was because the 5870 couldn't run some games or that somehow the drivers just weren't designed to run certain games though I am not sure (glitchy shadows in Arkham Knight and Doom wouldn't finish loading from 0% but was fine with 1070).

Intel i7 920 (Legacy) @ 3.6 Ghz
Trancend 24GB Ram (Taiwanese brand memory)
Antec Signature Series 850w (Bronze rating)
Asus P6T Deluxe v1
Asus Strix 1070 (default clock)
OCZ Revodrive X2 160GB
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi Morisato

Things that can cause stuttery gameplay:

1) Insufficient hardware.
2) Game settings set too high, screen resolution and antialiasing are two settings that will impact performance the most.
3) High ping in multiplayer games.
4) Frames Per Second over your monitors refresh rate, if this happens enable V-Sync.
5) Running in windowed mode.
6) CPU or GPU throttling due to over heating but we know that isn't the cause.
7) For the smoothest game play you want 60 FPS or above.

This is all I can think of off hand, there may be other factors that cause it too.

How many FPS do you get in Doom? With the 6700k and ROG Strix 1070 I average about 100 FPS at 1440p with the highest settings and antialiasing disabled.

I recorded this with Xsplit Gamecaster which Asus gives you a free year with the purchase of an ROG Strix 1050 Ti/1060/1070/1080.

I get about 100+ FPS or so with Doom. FPS isn't an issue as I can play these games fine. The issue is that when there is smoke/fog effects in play or possibly really close explosions, it just stutters the game. The more dense the smoke/fog the more it stutters to the point where it can freeze a bit before continuing or just outright BSOD as it fails to restart the drivers after crash.

extreme
Level 7
If it give bsod then defenatly faulty card , memory issue or even psu . You have to test the card in other system to make sure....
Stress test the card with full system loaded can tell the story

grassy
Level 12
Morisato wrote:
What do you guys think are causes for in-game stutter and sometimes BSOD where the NVidia driver would fail to restart due to a freeze? I noticed it would stutter hard on smoke effects (nearly freezes on heavy smoke effects) in certain games like BF1 or Firestrike ultra benchmark though it plays fine with Witcher 3. These are one of the few games (there are more but can't remember atop of my head) where it does this. To be fair my system is nearing 9 years old and I will be upgrading this year but I would like to know what are your thoughts on the cause of this stutter. I've been reading around and from what I can see there is just too many reasons for it (cpu bottleneck, not enough power, bad pci-e slot, possibly ram). I'm trying to narrow it down so I'll list my old PC specs and no, overheating is not an issue (used to be until I got my Noctua NH-D15S). Mind you my old AMD 5870 gave no such issues until I upgraded to the 1070 using the same PCI-E slot. Only reason I upgraded was because the 5870 couldn't run some games or that somehow the drivers just weren't designed to run certain games though I am not sure (glitchy shadows in Arkham Knight and Doom wouldn't finish loading from 0% but was fine with 1070).

Intel i7 920 (Legacy) @ 3.6 Ghz
Trancend 24GB Ram (Taiwanese brand memory)
Antec Signature Series 850w (Bronze rating)
Asus P6T Deluxe v1
Asus Strix 1070 (default clock)
OCZ Revodrive X2 160GB
Game stutter is my pet hate and what i hate more than the stutter itself is the actual cause which as most off as know by know could be anything. The experiences i have had with game stutter is nothing short off a frustrating journey.Before i got to the bottom off my stuttering that i had,i had to change my Ram,cooling system and other minor hardware and even operating system.Now i am stutter free.What i can tell you though is that i kept my most expensive part being my cpu(in my case the 3690x) and worked around it and that being in a new graphics card and ram and operating system.I also kept my motherboard as there was no handshake issues with them.I have the strix 980ti and although it is a great card i did not think much off the cooling fan so i went a full water cooled system. Even though i have not had any stutter since i built a new system it is still hard to put my finger on the cause off my stutter.I made so many changes that it's hard to tell for sure.
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE

If your game isn't legit aka you downloaded from thepiratebay that could be why also. Try a legit game if this is the case....

SimbaSuperstar
Level 7

The stuttering and BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues you're experiencing in some games can be caused by a combination of factors, especially on an aging system like yours. While it's great that you'll be upgrading soon, let's try to narrow down the potential causes for the issues you're facing:

1. CPU Bottleneck: Your Intel i7 920, while a capable processor in its time, may struggle to keep up with modern games, particularly those with heavy smoke or particle effects. This can lead to stuttering as the CPU tries to process game logic and render graphics simultaneously. Upgrading to a more modern CPU will likely alleviate this issue.

2. RAM: Your 24GB of RAM should be sufficient for gaming, but the performance can be affected if the RAM is slow or not working properly. Check for any RAM issues using diagnostic tools to ensure it's running at its intended speed and there are no errors.

3. GPU: The NVIDIA GTX 1070 is a decent GPU, but it may struggle with certain games if they demand more VRAM or processing power. The stuttering you experience in games with heavy smoke effects may be due to the GPU struggling to render these effects smoothly.

4. Power Supply: Your 850W power supply should be adequate for your system, but if it's aging, it may not be providing a consistent and stable power output, leading to crashes and issues. Consider testing with a known good power supply if possible.

5. PCI-E Slot: Ensure that the PCI-E slot is functioning correctly and that it's not causing connectivity issues with your GPU. You can try reseating the GPU or testing it in a different slot if available.

6. Drivers: Ensure that you have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed. Sometimes outdated or corrupt drivers can cause instability in games. Wholesale Jewelry Suppliers

7. Overheating: Even though you mentioned that overheating isn't an issue, it's always good to double-check. Make sure your GPU and CPU temperatures are within safe ranges during gaming.

8. Game-Specific Issues: Some games are more demanding or less optimized than others. The issues you experienced in Arkham Knight and Doom with the GTX 1070 might be due to driver/game compatibility issues.

jesswade
Level 8

It's possible that the in-game stutter and occasional BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) you're experiencing could be caused by a combination of factors due to your aging system. Given your system's age and the variation in performance across different games, there could be several contributing factors, including potential CPU bottlenecking, insufficient power supply, issues with the PCI-E slot, or even RAM limitations. It's worth noting that your old AMD 5870 didn't exhibit these issues until you upgraded to the Nvidia 1070, which suggests a potential compatibility or driver-related problem. Upgrading your system this year might be a good solution to address these issues and take advantage of more recent hardware and optimizations for modern games. However, for a more precise diagnosis, you may want to consult with a computer technician or Nvidia's support forums for tailored assistance.