ROG Member Array

Causes of game stutter and sometimes BSOD on a 1070?

What do you guys think are causes for in-game stutter and sometimes BSOD where the NVidia driver would fail to restart due to a freeze? I noticed it would stutter hard on smoke effects (nearly freezes on heavy smoke effects) in certain games like BF1 or Firestrike ultra benchmark though it plays fine with Witcher 3. These are one of the few games (there are more but can't remember atop of my head) where it does this. To be fair my system is nearing 9 years old and I will be upgrading this year but I would like to know what are your thoughts on the cause of this stutter. I've been reading around and from what I can see there is just too many reasons for it (cpu bottleneck, not enough power, bad pci-e slot, possibly ram). I'm trying to narrow it down so I'll list my old PC specs and no, overheating is not an issue (used to be until I got my Noctua NH-D15S). Mind you my old AMD 5870 gave no such issues until I upgraded to the 1070 using the same PCI-E slot. Only reason I upgraded was because the 5870 couldn't run some games or that somehow the drivers just weren't designed to run certain games though I am not sure (glitchy shadows in Arkham Knight and Doom wouldn't finish loading from 0% but was fine with 1070).

Intel i7 920 (Legacy) @ 3.6 Ghz
    Trancend 24GB Ram (Taiwanese brand memory)
    Antec Signature Series 850w (Bronze rating)
    Asus P6T Deluxe v1
    Asus Strix 1070 (default clock)
    OCZ Revodrive X2 160GB
    Last edited by Morisato; 01-11-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4000MHz 16-16-16-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyPC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hi Morisato

Things that can cause stuttery gameplay:

1) Insufficient hardware.
    2) Game settings set too high, screen resolution and antialiasing are two settings that will impact performance the most.
    3) High ping in multiplayer games.
    4) Frames Per Second over your monitors refresh rate, if this happens enable V-Sync.
    5) Running in windowed mode.
    6) CPU or GPU throttling due to over heating but we know that isn't the cause.
    7) For the smoothest game play you want 60 FPS or above.

This is all I can think of off hand, there may be other factors that cause it too.

How many FPS do you get in Doom? With the 6700k and ROG Strix 1070 I average about 100 FPS at 1440p with the highest settings and antialiasing disabled.

I recorded this with Xsplit Gamecaster which Asus gives you a free year with the purchase of an ROG Strix 1050 Ti/1060/1070/1080.

ROG Member Array

I get about 100+ FPS or so with Doom. FPS isn't an issue as I can play these games fine. The issue is that when there is smoke/fog effects in play or possibly really close explosions, it just stutters the game. The more dense the smoke/fog the more it stutters to the point where it can freeze a bit before continuing or just outright BSOD as it fails to restart the drivers after crash.

If it give bsod then defenatly faulty card , memory issue or even psu . You have to test the card in other system to make sure....
    Stress test the card with full system loaded can tell the story

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array grassy PC Specs
    grassy PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS
    MotherboardRAMPAGE 4 BLACK/RIG 2 RAMPAGE FORMULA
    Processor3960X/ RIG 2 4820k
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 980 TI STRIX OC
    Graphics Card #2RIG 2 GTX 690 SLI
    Graphics Card #3RIG 2 GTX 690 SLI
    Sound CardAUZENTECH 7.1 XFI DTSMA
    MonitorDELL U3011/RIG 2 VIEWSONIC MONITOR
    Storage #1480GIG/360GIG/250GIG SSD
    Storage #2RIG 2 180GIG SSD
    CPU CoolerHEATKILLER PRO WATERBLOCK/RIG 2 CORSAIR H105
    CaseIN-WIN 909/1 COOLERMASTER WHITE STRYKER CASES/IN-WIN 909
    Power SupplyCORSAIR AX1200/ RIG 2 CORSAIR HX750
    Keyboard 2 G19'S
    Mouse 2 G9 LASER
    Mouse Pad RIG 2 STRYK X
    Headset/Speakers RIG 2 TWO B&W COMPUTER SPEAKERS
    OS WIN 10 HOME/RIG 2 WIN 7 PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Morisato View Post
    What do you guys think are causes for in-game stutter and sometimes BSOD where the NVidia driver would fail to restart due to a freeze? I noticed it would stutter hard on smoke effects (nearly freezes on heavy smoke effects) in certain games like BF1 or Firestrike ultra benchmark though it plays fine with Witcher 3. These are one of the few games (there are more but can't remember atop of my head) where it does this. To be fair my system is nearing 9 years old and I will be upgrading this year but I would like to know what are your thoughts on the cause of this stutter. I've been reading around and from what I can see there is just too many reasons for it (cpu bottleneck, not enough power, bad pci-e slot, possibly ram). I'm trying to narrow it down so I'll list my old PC specs and no, overheating is not an issue (used to be until I got my Noctua NH-D15S). Mind you my old AMD 5870 gave no such issues until I upgraded to the 1070 using the same PCI-E slot. Only reason I upgraded was because the 5870 couldn't run some games or that somehow the drivers just weren't designed to run certain games though I am not sure (glitchy shadows in Arkham Knight and Doom wouldn't finish loading from 0% but was fine with 1070).

Intel i7 920 (Legacy) @ 3.6 Ghz
    Trancend 24GB Ram (Taiwanese brand memory)
    Antec Signature Series 850w (Bronze rating)
    Asus P6T Deluxe v1
    Asus Strix 1070 (default clock)
    OCZ Revodrive X2 160GB
    Game stutter is my pet hate and what i hate more than the stutter itself is the actual cause which as most off as know by know could be anything. The experiences i have had with game stutter is nothing short off a frustrating journey.Before i got to the bottom off my stuttering that i had,i had to change my Ram,cooling system and other minor hardware and even operating system.Now i am stutter free.What i can tell you though is that i kept my most expensive part being my cpu(in my case the 3690x) and worked around it and that being in a new graphics card and ram and operating system.I also kept my motherboard as there was no handshake issues with them.I have the strix 980ti and although it is a great card i did not think much off the cooling fan so i went a full water cooled system. Even though i have not had any stutter since i built a new system it is still hard to put my finger on the cause off my stutter.I made so many changes that it's hard to tell for sure.
    FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE

ROG Member Array

If your game isn't legit aka you downloaded from thepiratebay that could be why also. Try a legit game if this is the case....