cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! New computer won't boot after changing BIOS setting

FDSage
Level 10
So I set up a pc with the Asus ROG Maximus IX Formula. I turned it on, everything was going fine in settings. I did an auto tune overclock, saved and restarted, was fine. I changed M.2 from Auto to PCI mode and x4. Restarted, and now I can no longer get a signal. I don't know how to fix this.
20 REPLIES 20

FDSage
Level 10
The fans were also changed to DC mode. I'm not sure how that happened since I didn't set them to that, but I figured it wasn't a problem so I hit save and restart anyway. I don't know if this was a factor or not.

Nate152
Hi FDSage

Try clearing the cmos with the button on the motherboard I/O panel, it's the one with the green circular arrow.

It should boot up after doing this.

Thank you very much. I pressed it, mobo leds faded for a moment. I booted up, it restarted a few times and finally gave me a screen. Looks factory reset now.

I should be able to set the M.2 to PCI 3.0x4, right? I don't know what I did to kill my system. It was either setting that or the fans. I have an AIO pump plugged into the AIO port. I don't think the overclocking hurt it as the temps were in the mid 20s. Maybe should avoid messing with it, but I want these settings.

EDIT: I'll move to the advice forum for properly setting this. Again, thanks.

FDSage
Level 10
The hardware I'm currently using is in my specs. It's on factory reset now. I'm leaving the HDD sata plugs disconnected until Windows is installed on the M.2 SSD.

I'm hoping I can get some advice on getting my settings right in BIOS before getting Windows on here. After doing this: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?90197-Help!-New-computer-won-t-boot-after-changing-BIOS-se... ...I want to make sure I get it set up the way I want it, without killing it. All I really wanted was to use TPU II (or just 4.8GHz CPU, which TPU II set it to), set the RAM to 3200 XMP, and set M.2 to PCIe 3.0 x4.

I really don't know if it was setting the M.2 drive to PCIe and x4 that killed it or changing the fans to DC (unintentionally), or if the AIO pump has anything to do with anything. I'd appreciate any advice.

Nate152
It's fine to stay here, moderators don't like duplicate threads of the same topic. 🙂

I don't have an M.2 drive but in theory yes you should be able to set M.2 to pcie 3.0 x 4.

What other options does it give you ?

P.S. I'll move this thread to the Maximus IX & Strix (z270) motherboards section of the forum.

Ahh okay, cool!

M.2_1 Configuration: Auto, SATA mode, or PCIE mode

PCIEX4_3 Bandwidth: Auto Mode, X2 Mode, X4 Mode

There's also M.2_2 PCIe bandwidth x2 or x4, but I'm not using the M.2_2 slot.

Nate152
Thank you

The PCIEx4_3 is for the bottom pcie slot on the motherboard, if you're not using the bottom pcie slot let it on auto.

Set M.2_1 configuration to PCIE Mode.

How does it go after setting this ?

Looks like it's working! It reboot a few times like last time, but the picture is fine this time.
Could the problem have been caused by setting the bandwidth on the third slot?
The only thing left I want to set before installing Windows is let TPU II set the cpu to 4.8GHz like last time and set the RAM to 3200 in XMP.

Nate152
That's great !

I personally like to let the cpu and ram at default settings when installing windows just to avoid any instability but it should be fine.

You're doing it right by only having your 960 pro installed when installing windows.

Please proceed to install windows in UEFI mode.

Give us an update after installing windows.