cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM Issue with new Rampage III Formula

Retired
Not applicable
I'm a newbie to PC building...but recently got Rampage III Formula board with an i7980x and 6 sticks of Corsair Dominator GT 2 GB PC3-16000 2000Mhz Triple Channel (CMT6GX3M3A2000C8) all for Win 7 64-bit

However the system only seems to recognize 8GB's. I tried reseating the RAM and the system briefly saw 12GB's, but then on the next boot i was told there was an overclocking problem with the RAM and said i needed to reset the BIOS to default which i did...now back to 8GB's.

I never touched the BIOS so no idea what the message about overclocking was about...but neither the BIOS nor Windows sees anything more t han 8GB's. Although when I run CPU-Z, it reports 12GB's. Also in the BIOS, it reports the RAM at 1333 which i don't think it right....I thought it was 1600 or 2000?

Hope someone can help

thanks
10 REPLIES 10

martin_metal_88
Level 8
try re-seating the CPU. If the problem still occur just bump the ram voltage by a notch and see if that help. Also run memtest ( bootable version ) and try each stick 1 by 1 in every slot.
Keep us up to date!
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

You might have some defective memory modules, I recommended using a memory diagnostics tool called Memtest

The latest version of Memtest X86 is available here: http://www.memtest.org/

Memtest X86 CD:
Download the newest ISO version (memtest86+-.iso.zip) to your PC.

-Extract the .zip file to a location that you know, like the Desktop or Downloads folder or next to the .zip file. You should end up with the file Memtest86+-1.70.iso

*Note* If you have WinRAR (or similar) installed, it will look like an unzippable archive with nothing inside. Do not open it with WinRAR.

-Go to your favorite CD burning software, and choose to burn from an image file. Simply point to the memtest.iso file and hit the "burn" button.

Eg: Nero>Disk Image or Saved Project>[select the memtest iso file]Ok>Next etc.

-Insert a blank CD into the drive and let it do its magic.

-Presto, you have a memtest bootable CD.

Simply leave the CD in the drive and boot from CD by pressing any key (if prompted) the test will run on its own and report any errors detected.

Retired
Not applicable
yea try 1 stick each on the first slot just to see if they all work. all memory is defaulted at 1333 mhz. you have to overclock the memory up to 2000 mhz. you can either set this in the xmp profile mode or do it manually.

Retired
Not applicable
Trying memtest today, and will keep you posted. Everynow and then it will still recognize 12GB's...and once it only recognized 4GB's...usually 8GB though.

One other thing though, shouldn't i hear beeps from the motherboard on booting and other such? the manual talks about beep codes, but mine has always been silent with no beeps. thoughts?

thanks again

martin_metal_88
Level 8
There is no PC speaker on the board and I think there is no in the box. Go to your local shop and buy one for like 1$ if they aren't free. Without this PC speaker, there is no sound.
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

Retired
Not applicable
you need speaker to hear the beeps. most cases these days dont utilize speakers. its old school

Retired
Not applicable
Have you had a look at:

http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-12gb-memory-overclocking-detecting-less-memory-than-installed-192...

I had the same/similar issues and that article was a good place to start out and got me sorted in minutes.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the link Looker...looks like good stuff.

I can say though that i've tweaked BIOS settings, and hardware in every which way imaginable, but still randomly get 4, 8, 10, and 12 reporting. CPUz always reports it correctly, but the BIOS and windows unfortunatly does not.

I'm sending back the board, RAM, and processor for replacements. Hopefully when they come in, i'll find that fixes the issue. *sigh*

Retired
Not applicable
Well...got a replacement for the board, RAM, and processor...and 12 GB's now reporting correctly. ...so it was one of those components, but still no idea which one or combination.

...now back to the OC'ing.