cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, can't decide between these 2 mobos

Dorkainur
Level 8
Hi, Dorkainur here, newbie on the forum ^^.

So I´m planning to build my pc this week:
Budget 1450€ (in Spain components seem to have a higher price, as far as i've seen)

i7-6700k
8/16 Gb DDR4 (the ripjaws ones) (or Avexir, but i dunno this brand)
Asus Dual GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB GDDR5
EVGA Supernova G2 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular
Phanteks Eclipse P400 Black Windowed
Enermax Liqmax II 240
One 1tb HDD for storage.
And one SSD i have at home.

But i can't decide between Asus Maximus VIII Hero (230€) or the new Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming (255€)...

It will be mostly for gaming. And my top is 1450 €.

And the fact is that i need wifi, so if Maximus Hero i'll had to buy a tplink (15€).

If u see anything wrong in my ''build'' feel free to tell me, i'll appreciate ur point of view.

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

kkn
Level 14
by using wifi you will not get the best connection, in games you will get lag and performance loss.
best way is to run cabled if possible.
new Z270 cards have 2x m.2 slots.
you dont need a i7 unless you are going to render og use hyper treading programs, you can go whit a i5 to save monny.
and i would go whit 16 gig of ram, and do buy ONE kit ( one pack ) of the amount of ram you need.

kkn wrote:
by using wifi you will not get the best connection, in games you will get lag and performance loss.
best way is to run cabled if possible.
new Z270 cards have 2x m.2 slots.
you dont need a i7 unless you are going to render og use hyper treading programs, you can go whit a i5 to save monny.
and i would go whit 16 gig of ram, and do buy ONE kit ( one pack ) of the amount of ram you need.

I need Wifi as im living in a sharedflat ...etc etc, at least for one more year.
I think ill get the z270.
I see, I'll consider getting the i5 and 16gb of ram instead.

Thanks for your advice and time ^^-

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
At this point I'd pretty much recommend going with the new boards and processors Z270 and Kaby Lake

If you are gaming only look at an i5 7600K and Overclock it...if you don't want to OC don't buy a K processor

Ram you will be fine with 8GB for gaming but 16GB is nice...3200MHz is a sweet spot...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
At this point I'd pretty much recommend going with the new boards and processors Z270 and Kaby Lake

If you are gaming only look at an i5 7600K and Overclock it...if you don't want to OC don't buy a K processor

Ram you will be fine with 8GB for gaming but 16GB is nice...3200MHz is a sweet spot...

A) i'll buy in Pccomponentes.

B)Ok, i'll stick to the z270, then.

I see, i prefer K one for the future, just in case one day i oc. So, no real difference for gaming between i5 and i7?

The ram will depend on the final budget, if i can afford 16 gb, ill get.

Thanks ^^.

Dorkainur wrote:
So, no real difference for gaming between i5 and i7?

Not really... nothing you would notice for the vast majority of gaming...i5 7600K does 4.2GHZ turbo at stock and should head for 4.8 4.9GHz OCd from what I have seen

Hyperthreading is useful for only certain kinds of workload...like shaving time off rendering videos...most gaming and most day to day computing doesn't rely on this...

Ok guys, I'll keep an eye on the prices next week and decide.

Thanks #7 and #8 for the info and help :)!!

Awesome community i see =)!

Nate152
I'd go for the 7700k, it's clocked higher, has 2MB more cache, has hyperthreading and can hit 5.0GHz with a decent all in one liquid cpu cooler which it looks like you have.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm actually selling my X99 build...while the going is good and have been pricing a Z270 build while waiting to see what X299 brings...

I've been looking at a Maximus IX Formula and i7-7700K combo....best price for the combination I found on Amazon (and if anything goes wrong their returns policy is second to none)...so check around...prices changing every day....check coolmod....check izar micro 😉