cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding pushing 144hz or something more than 90hz out of the G751JY 980M

Vastus9001
Level 7
Hi all! I bought the Acer GN246HL 144hz gaming monitor. I'm not sure what my best option is to be able to output 144hz using my G751. I also have the option of returning it for a refund and buying a different one within the same price range. After tax I spent about 209 on the monitor. I bought a mini displayport to hdmi/vga/dvi adapter thinking it would transfer the 144hz from the provided DVI DL cable that was with the monitor but seems as if adapters don't work in this way. Do I just need to buy a new monitor again that HAS a mini displayport input on the monitor? All mine has is DVI, and HDMI. But as you know, the G751 does not have a DVI input, therefore I can't get my 144hz

That being said, I am running a custom resolution pushing 85hz through hdmi. It's not bad, nicer than 60 and noticeably better than the G751's 75hz G Sync screen. All in all, I really wanna keep the monitor I have but if returning and exchanging is my best bet, then so be it! Thanks in advance for all the input.
"I've always thought to myself, at what point did I come into consciousness? When did I start the act of "remembering?" Am I even really alive? Is death real in the sense that I cease to exist?"

I also love PC gaming and learning about graphics technologies.
4 REPLIES 4

Dreamonic
Level 12
You can overclock your G-SYNC LG panel in your G751JY to 100Hz easily, as most can do this or over without issues in NVCP.

You'd be better off getting a different monitor, one that has DisplayPort, as the proper adapter you'd need for your Acer GN246HL 144hz monitor is this one here to support 144Hz over mDP-to-DVI (as you need 25pin) with USB power (other adapters are single link and will not support anything close to 120Hz).

Also, mDP-to-DP cables are the same thing as DP-to-DP cables, only differences is the shape and size; You'll find mDP is used in notebooks and other smaller electronic devices, unlike with external monitors, DP is the standard (not mDP).

Anyway, as long as a monitor supports DisplayPort, then you just need a mDP-to-DP cable here to get 144Hz or higher.

Dreamonic
Level 12
You can overclock your G-SYNC LG panel in your G751JY to 100Hz easily, as most can do this or over without issues in NVCP.

You'd be better off getting a different monitor, one that has DisplayPort, as the proper adapter you'd need for your Acer GN246HL 144hz monitor is this one here to support 144Hz over mDP-to-DVI (as you need 25pin) with USB power (other adapters are passive and will not support anything close to 120Hz even).

Also, mDP-to-DP cables are the same thing as DP-to-DP cables, only differences is the shape and size; You'll find mDP is used in notebooks and other smaller electronic devices, unlike with external monitors, DP is the standard (not mDP).

Anyway, as long as a monitor supports DisplayPort, then you just need a mDP-to-DP cable here to get 144Hz or higher.

Dreamonic wrote:

You'd be better off getting a different monitor, one that has DisplayPort, as the proper adapter you'd need for your Acer GN246HL 144hz monitor is this one here to support 144Hz over mDP-to-DVI (as you need 25pin) with USB power (other adapters are passive and will not support anything close to 120Hz even).

Hi Dreamonic,

Thank you very much for your response!

When you say I can overclock my G-SYNC LG panel do you mean creating the custom resolutions/refresh rates in my NVIDIA Control Panel? Because currently I managed to get that Acer monitor I bought to support 85hz through the HDMI connection. Because the item I bought thinking it would make it 144hz was this one here.

It wasn't able to do 144hz and I'm guessing it's because it is not an Active adapter.

Are all active adapters going to be along that price line?

Once again, thank you for the response as it's been real helpful especially since you linked me the one to buy.
"I've always thought to myself, at what point did I come into consciousness? When did I start the act of "remembering?" Am I even really alive? Is death real in the sense that I cease to exist?"

I also love PC gaming and learning about graphics technologies.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Yes, for the NVCP question. The LG display can be set with a custom resolution of 1080p @ 100Hz.

Price points will be near or over a $100 for this particular active adapter, and there is no guarantee it will work without possible flickering or compatibility issues.

Passive adapters like the one you bought is great for using if you want a secondary or multi-monitor setup only.